400i Headlight Controls - Flaky? | FerrariChat

400i Headlight Controls - Flaky?

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by james.colangelo, Oct 21, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. james.colangelo

james.colangelo Karting

Jan 28, 2008
    Detroit, MI USA
    Full Name:
    James Colangelo
    Hi All,

Going through my newly acquired 400i and come to find the headlight control stalk is really flaky. The rest of the controls seem fine, such as the turn signals and wiper control (even though my wipers barely move which is another item to address, but I’ll be searching the forum for answers to that).

SO... first issue is the “twist on” - I have to twist it pretty far “forward” for it to work and hold it. Oftentimes it doesn’t hold and the headlights switch back off.

SO... when I pull the stalk towards me, the fog lights turn on. They do not operate in any other way.

I don’t have an owners handbook (yet) so I can’t look up the proper functions of all these items .. but I am curious to know what everything is supposed to do and when.

I think I’m dealing with a bum stalk that is just worn out, but I’ll take any suggestions. Oh and I have a mystery button in my center console that glows when popped out but doesn’t seem to do anything .. has a headlight logo on it (I think).

Thanks all - MUCH more to come but.. one thing at a time.

Jim

2. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    This issue has been discussed at length here and there could be an old thread on the matter.
    I think there is a remedy but you'll,until someone else chips in,have to go looking through the old threads to find it.

3. james.colangelo

james.colangelo Karting

Jan 28, 2008
    Detroit, MI USA
    Full Name:
    James Colangelo
    OK thanks - I'm doing some searching and I did find a couple of things so far - one of which was a person on this forum who I remember from years ago who did repairs for these. I sent him a message I hope I hear back.

4. christc

christc Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2013
    Germany
  5. james.colangelo

james.colangelo Karting

Jan 28, 2008
    Detroit, MI USA
    Full Name:
    James Colangelo
    Thank you so much.

I believe I have found what I need to repair my headlight switch. I may just remove it and send it to Unobtanium (Verell) or give it a shot myself first - might as well!

I love this board..

6. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    The year might make a difference.

My 400i is a series 1 with toggle switches and a dedicated fog light switch. Using a BB512 vs a BBi as an example, the BBi front "fog" lights are actually flash to pass lights that are only on as long as the headlight stalk is pulled toward you and they only have an R.Fog switch for the rear fog lights. The carb'd version of a boxer has a dedicated F. Fog switch (and an R.Fog in some cases) specifically to turn on the fog lights. No flash to pass.

james.colangelo and Il Tifoso like this.
  7. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    Flashlights were forbidden in Italy (thanks EU for changing this). In order to accommodate other countries, on the relay panel there is a flashing relay with a "loose" red (with black stripes) cable. When you pull down the headlight switch while the headlights are down, this cable emits proper 12v.

On the electric diagram, they recommend to connect this loose cable on the 138 toggle switch (i.e fog light), so as to use the fog lights as "pseudo" flashlights. Based on my own experience I can say the dealer was quite creative and did not follow the instructions by the book... You should have a look at your green button, chances are that it is somehow connected to the red/black cable.

8. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    james.colangelo likes this.
  9. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Jim
    Your fog light is working same as mine. It is a " move over flasher" not a fog light in this mode.

I had similar but not same problem with head lights when I bought my car and I think solution may be the same. Headlights would pop up while rotating switch and go back down when fully rotated. It was same in high or low beam mode. The thread about this early 2007; someone responded and gave me the exact problem / solution. I'm not 100% sure it will be same for you.

Here was my issue. Inside the switch you rotate there is a little ball (detent) and a solder joint. The solder joint failed and re-soldering fixed the issue and I have not touched it again in 13 years. The "trick" is how to pull the end of the stalk off; I finally figured the square part of switch pulls off the end and the small (1/8"?) round piece moves toward steering column. IMPORTANT: be sure you have an extra had to catch the little ball! Once you are inside it is obvious where the ball goes.

I hope this gives you a lead; your problem may be in same location. It was one of the easiest fixes in my early days with the car and it sold me on the forum!!
    Ken

10. james.colangelo

james.colangelo Karting

Jan 28, 2008
    Detroit, MI USA
    Full Name:
    James Colangelo
    All,

Thank you so much for all of this - I'm going to be sending my switch assembly over to Verell (Unobtanium Supply) for a proper look-see and rebuild. I did take it apart and at the switch, saw the little ball and where the issue is, but I don't want to mess with it.

One thing I'm going to ask however is if they (Verell) can wire up my switch so the fogs ALSO run with my high beams. I think that would be a nice touch.. we shall see.

I'll keep everyone posted with pictures as things progress.

Jim

11. jippiejake

jippiejake Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2012
    Venice Beach
    Full Name:
    Mike Kerns
    Those always are issues being so delicate, and when someone drives your car that's not familiar with how delicate they are. One push the wrong way then crunch!! The switch is ****-canned..

I think all 6 of my F-Cars have had bad signals stalks.
    I sent all 6 to Odd Parts up in Northern California.
    oddparts.net
    ‭(707) 738-9661‬

They go through every function in the stalks, repair any broken parts, and it come back good as new..

12. james.colangelo

james.colangelo Karting

Jan 28, 2008
    Detroit, MI USA
    Full Name:
    James Colangelo
    Thank you for this! I ended up sending my stalk / unit over to Verell at Unobtanium and he's doing the rebuild for me but it's great to know there is another place out there.. thanks again!