400i Cabrio | FerrariChat

400i Cabrio

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by JTranfield, Mar 29, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JTranfield

JTranfield Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2003
    NYC, London
    Full Name:
    J Tranfield
    Those 400i cabrios for sale at motorcargallery.com are beginning to catch my eye. I was thinking about buying a 4 seater convertible maybe a Aston Volante or Mercedes 280se but these look quite tempting. Anyone have any experience in the quality of the conversions and likely problems? I know a 400i can already be a high maintenance vehicle but will a converted one be even worse?

2. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Just something to think about...

I've often wondered about crash worthiness in a "chopped" car. Seems obvious that all crash testing would be invalidated.

I too would like a 4 seat convertible for the family, but safety concerns on the chopped cars keep entering my head....

Just an opinion....

3. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    The quality of the conversions depends on who did it in the first place, AC/Autokraft (the people who built the AC Cobra) here in the UK made a couple and the quality is first class with aditional bracing of the body's structure. although the 400 gets tha majority of its structual safety from its good old fashioned chassis, which the cut cars or course keep

4. DavkeG

DavkeG Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Dave G.
    Doesn't Armen have one of these?