400 GT Distributor Question | FerrariChat

400 GT Distributor Question

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Mikey365, Jun 15, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mikey365

Mikey365 Rookie

Jun 26, 2005
    I recently removed the distributor caps to lube the distributor cams and found that each distributor has only one set of points. The correct distributors are there (Marelli S138C's), and the car runs great. My question is how can the car run so good with only one set of points? Also, does anyone know why the manual calls for 2 sets of points in each distributor, when one set seems to work very well? Finally, what is used to lubricate the wick inside each distributor? The manual calls for vaselina oil, which is not a great oil to use for this application, I think.

Thanks for your responses in advance and regards to all.

Mikey

2. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    Do you have an aftermarket MSD style ignition fitted?

3. Mikey365

Mikey365 Rookie

Jun 26, 2005
    There is no MSD or other after-market equipment on the car. It does have what appears to be some kind of electronic units on each coil that are relatively small, and they look to be stock, although they may not be.

4. Joe Bergmann

Joe Bergmann Karting

Oct 24, 2005
    Shoreview, Minnesota
    Full Name:
    Joe Bergmann
    Hi. I have a 400 GT as well, and each distributor only has one set of points. So, I think this is normal. Also, I have heard that vasoline is an ok choice for lube since it will not gum up the motor if it finds its way down there. Apparently the vasoline will break down when it gets hot and mixes well with motor oil... I do have a question for you, where have you found a manual for your 400GT? I have one that claims it is for the 400GT but doesn't say a thing about carbuerators... I'm having a heck of a time getting mine set up just right.