400/365 Market | FerrariChat

400/365 Market

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by WANNAFERRARI, Aug 2, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WANNAFERRARI

WANNAFERRARI Rookie
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2012
    #1 WANNAFERRARI, Aug 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2012
    <classified ad removed>

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #2 Steve Magnusson, Aug 2, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
    Bravo! I like this thinking (although for this body style, I'd have to put red on the odder side of the line, and some of the colors that look a little strange on a 308, like oro, are fab...)

3. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    #3 brettski, Aug 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    so, please tell us, where is the market for a fully 'sorted' 365 GT4 or 5 speed manual 400 (not 400i)...and i assume you also mean a rust-free, tear-free car with compression...

because if you know it, you might be the only one...pretty rare over here...and one that's California friendly, no less...tall order that pretty much limits you to pre-'76 365's !

actually, for there to be a 'market', there has to be someone selling something...which begs the question, who in North American is selling a car that fits the description ?

here's where it's at Europe...http://www.anamera.com/en/find/list/index.html?no_cache=1 ...all over the place, but certainly different to what the FML seems to think.

so, against my better judgement (weird feeling here), i'll post what i have...previously titled in VA as a '73 and currently registered in Canada as a '73.

pics from this morning...oddball colour ? well, not exactly, as it was Marrone Metallic originally and was just resprayed in it's original shade...but a little off the 'beaten path'.

it's certainly 'sorted' though...virtually everything was just redone and documented...easily considered 'very good' condition.

so, where's the 'market' for this car...you tell me...i have no idea beyond the fact that my 'hard costs' will, by a large margin, exceed anything i'll ever get back.

let the games begin...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Not exactly? How about Beautiful! Did you undo the US modifications (e.g., the side marker lights) or did it slip into VA unmodified?

5. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    what do you consider 'very good'? :D

6. GreggG

GreggG Karting

Jul 14, 2008
    New Jersey
    Brett, Looks great! If I didn't already have one, I'd be tempted.

7. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Brett,

It looks much better than when it was red!

Steve,

I'm pretty sure that car never had the modifications.

Regards,

Art S.

8. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    #8 brettski, Aug 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    hey Steve,

i actually meant that it's not really an oddball colour because so many were painted Marrone...

oh boy, here we go...which i knew would happen, but...in for a dime, in for a dollar...and, obviously, that's the million dollar question, right Rob ?

IMHO, there has to be a correlation between what somebody pays (the cost) and the end result, because the terrminology is so vagued and expectations very so wildly.

having said that, what we're talking about here is a virtually rust free car to begin with that received $12 500 worth of paint and body, not including any dis or reassembly.

i would consider the condition of all metal to be very, very good and the actual quality of the paint to be good...but it's yet to be cut, so i think it will end up as very good.

regardless, it would be considered by anyone to be in very fresh, presentable, driver quality condition...they got into all the nooks...and it was going back to original.

it's motor was re-ringed, main/thrust/rod bearings, valves, guides, seats, seals, all gaskets, o-rings, oil/wpump...the motor is 'all there', no pistons or rods required here.

'box was gone through, syncros measured, flipped where required, none replaced, new input and output shft bearings...'box operates beautifully, perfectly...as does the clutch.

it was completely rebushed, but shocks were cleaned up not rebuilt, new wheels bearings, calipers rebuilt, rotors turned.

carbs and distributors rebuilt, headers coated, exhaust refreshed...

all mousehair bits recovered, 28 in total, leather refreshed, etc.

by definition, it was certainly not restored, but does what was done add up to 'very good'...that's in the 'eye of the beholder', no ?

it looks really nice, drives beautifully and has no needs...that's all i know...i'll encourage both of the guys that will drive it this weekend to post there thoughts...

9. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    i take solace in the fact that you two are still lurking out there somewhere...too long since i spoke with either of you...thanks.

10. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I also want to pop in to say, that THIS is the proper treatment of many of our cars....

A 'what it needs" approach without tearing it all to bits and spending a tanker load of money on "everything"...

JRV would always say:

"Don't worry about that, you NEED to worry about THIS!"

That car came out looking fresh, and ready to go many more fun filled miles.

11. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    FYI, I like the 412 lenses and the 400 vallance

12. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    titled in VA unmodified...i really don't know much beyond that other than what the selling dealer told me...

and it wouldn't matter now because it would have to treated as a fresh import anyway, as my time ran out and i had to register it here, under my name.

thanks Alan...that's what we do here, love us or hate us...

i have a deep respect for the 'restorers' of the world, but that's not really what makes us tick...we take tired, unloved cars and give them back a degree of respectibilty...that's it.

so, where is the market ?

13. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    ah, but are they ?

certainly 365's could have had clear lenses depending on delivery market...but i also believe they could have had what we call the 400 valance also...

look at all the cars in the Anamera link Art...i think if a car was a '75 or '76, it could have came from the factory with the later valance.

now, like i said, this car was titled as a '73 in VA, therefore it was necessarily registered here as a '73...no way around that...

but it has a later serial #...like '75'ish...

so, again, because i don't want this thread to become about this car, where's the market ?

14. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Brett-

Do I dare say it here? We chatted via email about this already.

The market to sell the car this week is $30K. That's the ebay buyer price for one this good. We've all seen remarkably good looking cars sell very short, because they were put on ebay.

The market to sell the car in the next few months?? Sell it through a dealer? maybe close to $45K.

The market to buy the car from a Sheehan/Shaughnessy or from Stu at Copley Motorcars or one of the other exotic resellers?? Maybe $60K+. Maybe.

People buy the seller and the "Story" of the car as much as they buy the car... unless it's ebay and then they try and steal the car and NEVER worry about service history, PPI or the like.

15. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Brett, keep it, don't sell it!

PS did you ever find a source for the synchros?

16. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    fair enough Jay...but, at the risk of sounding argumentative, find me a single 365 GT4 2+2 that's complete and running, not well, just running, for $30K and, as always, i'll buy it.

just one...and that's just it...a marketplace requires sellers...whose selling over here ?

ergo, how can the market be $30K...because FML says so...bah !

and it's not that i disagree with you, it's just that i totally disagree with you...sort of...but what i do know for a fact is that these sell for far, far more than that...i've sold some !

to put it another way, Dino GT4's are $25K, right ? except 2 years ago that when i sold my sympathetically restored, previously hit, painted motor, USA '75...i got $55K...

but unless people talk about real world prices for these cars, all people have to go on is heresay.

how's the soon-to-be world's most expensive Dino GT4 coming along ? ; )

17. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    #17 ylshih, Aug 2, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
    Multiple usernames are not permitted; this one is banned. Want ads belong in FerrariAds.com.

18. kliko312

kliko312 Karting

May 21, 2008
    NLD
    Full Name:
    Graaf
  19. gerritv

gerritv Formula 3

Jun 18, 2001
    St Catharines
    Full Name:
    Gerrit
    #19 gerritv, Aug 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2012
    I thought for sale ads went there as well?

20. Tassie

Tassie Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2009
    Tasmania, Australia
    Full Name:
    Wayne Clark
    Too nice to sell Brett, unless you have your eye on a good 400GT......

But that is not what you asked, what is the market value? Only what someone is prepared to pay and the seller prepared to accept under the circumstances at that time. The other value is what is acceptable to an insurance company. That is negotiation.

Anyway I am no help because the steering wheel is on the wrong side to be of any value. Damn, there is that word value again.

21. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    it's over 30 years old so can be registered in Oz

$30K is stealing it
    $45k is for good mechanical
    $60k is a concour car

I drove a 365 version for over 2,000 miles and have a new found respect for these fantastic cars as it cured me of my wet weather phobia since my accident 8 years ago in a 308GT4.

If I was in the US I'd have this car but I'd want the "Judge" to check it out for me :)

22. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    does Yin have to list out every type of ad that goes in FerrariAds or just saying Want Ad in this case OK because that's what this thread was started as? ;) :D

23. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Brett,

Thanks for the pics... very nice indeed!

Cheers,

Sam

24. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    thanks guys...but i never said it was for sale and it's never been advertised for sale...i've pitched to couple of guys that have 'nibbled' over the years, but that's it.

i don't know yet what i'm doing with it...

25. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Just a quick chime in here. I think we all know that there are deals done away from the public eye where cars are sold. Those deals typically involve some of the nicer examples. I personally know of at least 3 5-speeds that have chamged hands in the US in the past 3 or 4 years for well over $40k each (one went for +60k).
    Now having said that, at any given time there are only 30 or so 5-speeds out there in North America and in the grand scheme of things not that many autos. How many are for sale at any given time? Not many.