$40 Oil soon-Sell My House? | FerrariChat

$40 Oil soon-Sell My House?

Discussion in 'Texas' started by scowman, Dec 15, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. scowman

scowman F1 Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    I'm convinced oil will test the millennial low around $40.

I live in Houston off the 290/Mason.

I'm thinking this will get really ugly. Layoffs, foreclosures, bankruptcies, divorces, etc.

Time to sell and rent I think. That way I can relocate easy if necessary. Maybe save 200-300k in equity.

Anyone else thinking along these lines?

Contrary views? Is it different this time?

2. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
    If you are convinced - go for it!!

3. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I wouldn't get too scared yet. Where would you go though? Ive thought about it just because I can make a profit on my house now, but then I'd be paying more in rent than I do for my house, or I'd have to go to an apartment and no. No thank you.

I still need to come by for that beer. After the holidays hopefully.

May want to post in the business section.

4. willwork04

willwork04 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2012
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Will
    I sold my home in the Champions area about 2 months ago. I now rent. There were a couple of reasons why I did this, but, the current oil situation definitely factored into my decision. (I am in the O&G industry)

I am going to sit on the cash and be ready to make a move on something when everything tanks. The layoffs have already started...

5. scowman

scowman F1 Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    I've been to this movie before in California. Prices can drop pretty far, pretty fast.

I'd rent. I figure it would be about even after taxes and maintenance costs.

Probably move closer to the city.

6. joshtownsend

joshtownsend Formula Junior

Jul 12, 2007
    H-town...TEXAS
    You guys having exactly been here a while have you??? haha Houston is the most stable economy in the US.. it is not going to get that bad..no matter how much our current president tries to make it for us.. Houston will never be super high..or low.. I'M buying houses..not selling them.. and the rental market is thru the roof right now..

7. slownrusty

slownrusty Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Slow Rusty
    Houston faired very well through the last nationwide economic downturn in '08-'10

The economy was stable and this was reflected in house sales and the consistant $ / sq.ft

The sky is not falling.

8. buzzpics

buzzpics Formula Junior

Jul 22, 2013
    Frisco Tx
    For every person that thinks the economy will fail, there is another that thinks it will prosper. How well can you gamble?

9. Sushimon355

Sushimon355 Formula Junior

May 27, 2009
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Wade
    seems a little extreme to me but my best guess is this could be a 12-24 month ordeal. it's a self correcting mechanism. at $54/bbl, producers slash their capex budgets...which means rigs get dropped and fewer wells get drilled. you're probably looking at at least 500 rigs getting dropped in this price environment...probably more. but there will most certainly be a production response, albeit with a time lag.

after dropping that many rigs, domestic production should flatten if not decline, largely eliminating the excess barrels that contributed to the latest drop in crude prices. hopefully by then world economies are in better shape but in a more normal environment, we need higher cost barrels from the deepwater and unconventional resources. most of those wells won't get drilled with oil at $54/bbl. so prices will ultimately remove these higher cost barrels from the market and once demand begins growing again, we'll start all over. guess that's why they call it a cycle...

10. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    That's the most reasonable, practical, clear and concise analysis I've read on the matter to date.

11. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Something to keep in mind (since I'm not in the area) is how much it costs to make this oil. In Canada we have a lot of tar sands style oil reserves.

If oil goes down to $50 a barrel that would have no affect if the method of oil costs $40 per barrel to attain. However I would be worried if you live near a dozen refineries that produce at $70 a barrel.

That is just a side note.

12. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    100%.

13. willwork04

willwork04 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2012
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Will
    Were you in Houston in '85? What was your take on the situation then?

14. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Annapolis and Daytona Beach
    Full Name:
    Al
    Tesla will be gearing up their battery plant in NV. Just saying, if you get laid off.
    Let's hope not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. TRScotty

TRScotty F1 Rookie
    Owner

Oct 12, 2006
    Tyler, Texas
    Full Name:
    Scotty
    I agree, and am directly affected as I own an oil & gas consulting and acquisition business.
    This will be an interesting cycle to watch, as many of the larger players aren't really acting as if the current dip will last too long, or long enough to change their immediate plans.

The difference between now and '08-'12 is that then it was Nat Gas that tumbled tremendously, and the steady increase in oil prices allowed rig numbers and prices to remain relatively steady, fueling growth in the newly discovered US shale plays. Right now, Nat Gas prices are not at a level to support new exploration at these rig-rates.

What will happen this time?
    Will Nat Gas exploration and production expand now that oil is down?
    Will current rig-rates drop sufficiently to allow this?

I don't know for certain, but many of the people in these newly-rich oil plays are first-timers, and may not have the experience to survive the boom-to-bust nature of this industry.

16. Sushimon355

May 27, 2009
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Wade
    I see what you're saying but think about it this way - the resulting cash flows from producing a barrel of oil at $50 versus $80 are significant. the returns on capital may still warrant investment but the AMOUNT you can spend now is significantly reduced. so either way, capex goes down unless companies are levering up their balance sheets and outspending cash flow.

17. Sushimon355

May 27, 2009
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Wade
    companies are still going through their 2015 budgeting process but of those who have already announced spending plans, capital expenditures are most certainly being slashed. large and small companies alike are signalling their desire to spend within cash flow which means capex will be down 20-50% next year. will be a tough time to be in the oil service biz...

18. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    my 2 cts.
    been in the oil biz for 25 years, and have seen a lot of cycles.

this downmove was a long time coming, and given that delay, it might take a while to shake out. 12-36 months is my guess. i also think we are going to over shoot on the downside and hit the 3 handle.
    BUT things happen at all extremes. there are a lot of people who will not be enjoying a price below $75/bbl, and some of them will be tempted to do something about it. people like putin, maduro, khamenei....and it is relatively easy for them to stir the pot and set off some fireworks if they think that will raise prices.

as well, all new wells will be on hold, and it will only take 36 months to make all fracked wells in use today to drop off in production. so the supply will automatically be curtailed.

lower prices may not encourage more consumption, but it doesnt encourage conservation either. so forget about competition from renewables. forget about china trying to save fuel. every developing economy runs on diesel and that wont stop.

lower oil prices encourage more consumption of everything else, so widget factories will be running fine.

all that said, some of the industry and people that have been living on the edge, and relying on prices staying in a super high range, are going to be in trouble. there will be consolidation, and bankruptcies. some real estate in houston will be affected. but i dont see all this being armageddon.

19. scowman

scowman F1 Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    #19 scowman, Dec 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  20. joshtownsend

joshtownsend Formula Junior

Jul 12, 2007
    H-town...TEXAS
    Houston, i was younger but.. both my Grandfather and father were self employed truck drivers... no issues here... Its only an issue to people that lives well out of their own means anyways.. which is why Florida and California have such feast or phantom situations all the time..

36 years here... no worries what so ever... its kinda like when you work for a company that doesn't have a Union vs one that does.. If you do your job and take care of your business, you will make it no matter what...

But.. if..if you truly are worried about it, i would be selling cars, not the one thing that 99% never ever loses value..

21. Hoodlum

Hoodlum Karting

Sep 8, 2014
    Haha, zing.

22. Hoodlum

Hoodlum Karting

Sep 8, 2014
    Hmm, I think it's feast or famine. And It appears that from the chart Houston housing has suffered 9/36 years or 25% of the time. And this neglects the time for the pricing to return to even after a downturn.

OP the downturn in '08 caused ~9% downturn in home prices. Do you think that this will be worse, especially with the LNG exportation that has picked up in the last few years?

23. scowman

scowman F1 Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    I just don't know.

Prices aren't as high (relatively) as they were in the 80's, but the drilling boom here has everyone working. Lot's of new houses and cars. If we get a recession, it just feels like it will look more like the 1980 than 2008.

I think if I sell I won't be giving away any upside appreciation for a few years. Transaction costs will run about $50k.

My biggest problem is finding a nice rental with a pool that will take a lab. Most places that take dogs are class c space without pools.

24. willwork04

willwork04 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2012
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Will
    Do you want a house or an apartment?

25. Hoodlum

Hoodlum Karting

Sep 8, 2014
    I would expect that the crash in values in the '80's had more to do with interest rates. Home prices in Russia will probably look very similar to 1980's after their rate hike this week.