365 GT 2+2 values? | FerrariChat

365 GT 2+2 values?

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by davemqv, Sep 26, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Hi All,
    While I can't afford one at the moment, my dream car is a 365 GT 2+2. Up until recently, it seemed like the QM was one of the last early V12's that one could conceivably "save up" for, but I've recently noticed the prices going ever higher. Then today while cruising Hemmings (looking for an apparently much more realistic 456) I saw this guy...
    1970 Ferrari 365GT Queen Mother (U.S. Production No. 103) for sale | Hemmings Motor News

$278,500!!!!! For a driver!!!

Now I'll be the first to say it is a beautiful car with an especially lovely interior. But not original paint and the current paint has a few issues at least. But still and all a very nice looking driver, which is what I'd always thought I might be able to swing one day. On the other hand, I have always felt that this particular dealer prices things rather, shall we say, optimistically. So PLEASE tell me that's the case here and that a driver level car in good condition isn't already up to nearly $300k. A concours car, maybe - but a driver? I'd have expected more like $175k. Please save my dreams and say it ain't so.

2. 300GW/RO

300GW/RO Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    east end LI
    Full Name:
    Jack

It ain't so no mo'......gone gone gone

Jack

3. simsko

simsko F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2012
    Switch your dream to a 400;)

4. 87testa

87testa Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario
    I have to agree with the community. The QM price has risen with the tide.

5. jchuka

jchuka Karting

Mar 20, 2007
    Manhattan Beach, Cal
    Full Name:
    John P. Chuka
    I've owned a couple of Enzo era cars and driven others. I have to say that the 365 2+2 is the best driving of the lot. Could be the quality and long wheel base as well as the fact that it has all the power you'll need. Well built car in that Enzo way.

6. shoreorthopod

shoreorthopod Karting

Oct 14, 2012
    Yes, that blue car is nice... but no where close to original. Tail lights wrong, and a bunch of other stuff not quite right. Is it a 280k car... personally I think not but I am usually wrong on these things anyway. Can you get a queen for 175K? Maybe, but it will most likely be a non matching numbers car that is running but needs a significant (upwards of 30K) amount of work to make it drive well.
    I also agree that these Queens are the best driving of the Enzo era cars... very modern in feel with good brakes, good steering and more than enough power to get you into some decent trouble. They are also increasing in value along with everything else and I believe will follow whatever trend there is in the market. I say that because I can't believe that the market will continue to be this insane (refer to bubble thread), but again I am usually off on values.

7. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Yeah, I tend to agree. Both with the value of this car and my usually underestimating what people are willing to pay.

As for my hopes and dreams, I'd be perfectly fine with a non-matching numbers car and some needed restoration work, or a car with non original taillights, if the price was right - but I like driving them, not bragging about them (although that's kind of a fun fringe benefit!). I collect watches and have the same philosophy there, although I'm a stickler for original dials - but I'd rather pay $7k a 6 or 7/10 watch and enjoy wearing it than $15k for a 10/10 that lives in a safe.

This car gets under my skin because a dark blue 365GT is my exact dream car. But I still think it's overpriced. if this car is worth 280k than an all original car in good condition is 400-450k? More? I know prices are going up but I still can't believe they're there yet, although they'll get there soon, I'm sure.

For comparison, same dealer recently offered another 365GT 2+2 at 218k. I think they described it as all original but the car had dents, bubbling paint, rust, really worn out interior and other easily spotted issues. Great restoration candidate but I thought 218k was way too high. Wonder if anyone here bought it. i'd love to know what it sold for.

8. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Ha. Well, I am in the midst of shopping around for a 456. I do really like those a lot. But like any good red blooded enthusiast, my real dream would be to have BOTH!

9. 300GW/RO

300GW/RO Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    east end LI
    Full Name:
    Jack

Was listed last 12 months or so with Sheehan 129k, on to Jose @ Driver's Source with listed price. There is your pricing trend......

Check with Nick @ Overstreet House of Cars, MO (outside of St. Louis)...he has a fantastic example.

I bought #18231 '74 365 GT4 2+2 this summer.....great car, wonderful to drive etc etc and much much less $$.....FOR NOW! ??

You said it best...."My dream car"...as most here do (try)...FOLLOW YOUR DREAM....

Jack

10. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    Guess I'll be having a conversation with my insurance company on Monday. I haven't looked at values in a while and "only" have the car insured for 115k. My car is 13091 same december 69 build.

11. jippiejake

jippiejake Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 6, 2012
    Venice Beach
    Full Name:
    Mike Kerns
    Great idea..
    I think that would be a good idea for all of us to do on Monday.

12. Finitele

Finitele Formula 3

Sep 26, 2007
    DBC
    Full Name:
    DIR
    They have both a 365 GT and a 330 GT
    Inventory - Overstreet House of Cars - 10623 Baur Blvd Creve Coeur, MO 63132