360 Spider top intermittent problem | FerrariChat

360 Spider top intermittent problem

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Botaone, Apr 25, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Botaone

Botaone Rookie

Nov 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    John Sobota
    Ok guys, New 2004, 360 Spyder owner here. Red/Tan, Gated, 10k mile car. Here’s the problem. Top goes down fine. One time while trying to put the top up, it stopped working. The hatch was fully open, but top wouldn’t move. After working the switch back and forth and holding it, the top finally went up. Ok, so I go to the forum and determine I should check the reservoir. The reservoir is at the full mark. So I figured the cylinders must be bypassing and need to be resealed. The next time I drive it, the top goes down but not go up. I put the car away with the top down. 3-4 days later, I jump in it start it up and hit the button. The top goes up without any hesitation at all. What do you guys think? Appreciate any help!

2. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    Sounds like a micro switch is touchy. Happens from time to time. You can have it checked by a tech with the proper software diagnostics to see what is happening in real time and that should lead them to the culprit. It is not uncommon.

brian.s likes this.
  3. Botaone

Botaone Rookie

Nov 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    John Sobota
    Thanks for your help, I’ll give that a try

4. J3586

J3586 Rookie

Jan 31, 2021
    Full Name:
    Jeremy T
    Any updates on what the problem was? Mine also has this issue on occasion.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    Generally when a top halts in mid movement it is because a sensor or switch has not made contact and the top function will stop in order to not "crash" something it thinks is in the wrong place. As the OP stated, moving the switch and top back and forth sometimes will work and make the switch/sensor contact. It takes some knowledge of the operation to know what sensors to look at. It helps if the tech knows exactly where the top is stopping as well. If it functioning when a tech looks at it, he will see nothing wrong. Find a tech that knows these tops and has the diagnostic software. It will save you time and money.

brian.s likes this.