360 - 360 Headlight Butyl | FerrariChat

360 360 Headlight Butyl

Discussion in '360/430' started by Jhills14, Jun 15, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jhills14

Jhills14 Karting

Feb 3, 2020
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    James Hills
    Hey everyone, skimmed the forums and internet and can’t quickly hunt down the information.

I purchased a Rosso headlight and painted it Nurburgring. Now I’m putting it together and if you have experience with this yourselves then you know the Butyl the factory uses is 1) Gray 2) much more dense than traditional butyl

My question is, has anyone found the correct or closely matching butyl to the factory?

I’ve shopped around and the stuff I found might very well work but it seems to be much more sticky and closer to a traditional butyl. Which is fine, but if someone knows of something better - I am all ears!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Robb likes this.
  2. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Robb and Jhills14 like this.
  3. Jhills14

Jhills14 Karting

Feb 3, 2020
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    James Hills
    hessank likes this.
  4. Jhills14

Jhills14 Karting

Feb 3, 2020
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    James Hills
    Ordered... crossing my fingers!

5. fotostars

fotostars Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Bay Area
    About to embark on something similar. What was your lens removal? Any tips? Was thinking heat gun and fishing wire from a corner, working my way through it...

Jhills14 likes this.
  6. Jhills14

Jhills14 Karting

Feb 3, 2020
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    James Hills
    Great! I also want to refer you to Imahorse’s post I think is called “360 Headlight Restoration” he did it too but a little differently and has a great step by step.

The way I did it was:

Got a headlight box (or any box the approximate size of the headlight) and an industrial heat gun and thermometer (I used a grill thermometer) and a thin edge prying tool.

1) place headlight in box. Cut a hole in the bottom corner big enough for the heat gun and a small pin hole on lid for thermometer.
    2) heat box for 25 minutes or 200 degrees for 15-20 minutes. (You can push on the exposed sealer on back of headlight to check malleability)
    3) use prying tool, slowly starting at a corner. The plastic of the headlight is FRAGILE so take your time and reheat as necessary. Having the heat gun is convenient as you can heat and pry simultaneously
    4) as you get it lifted, use a razor blade to cut the seal as you move, I found this to be helpful.

Tips

Keep in mind the sealer is thicker than traditional butyl so you’ll have to muscle it a little which is why heating it periodically is a good idea and cutting away. Or again having the heat gun.

Fishing line or floss won’t work because the headlight has a groove and the lens has a lip that sits in it. See picture above. So you’ll need the prying too to get down in there to lift

Take your time, do it right

Depending on your time frame, I’ll have a video posted on my rinky-dink YouTube if you wanna watch in 2-3 days. Details on my Instagram @addicted2_HP

imahorse likes this.
  7. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    No, do NOT use a heat gun. That concentrates the heat (focuses it on a small area) and one mistake and you've got expensive garage art.
    Take a lesson from the Porsche guys (Rennlisters, me included). This was my post a while back to answer someone's inquiry because I had done it successfully.

Read this thread:
    https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/1100732-separate-headlight-glass-lens-from-reflector-h4-8-a.html

You have 2 choices; if your wife works get home before she does or if she doesn't give her enough $$ to keep her shopping at the mall.
    Either way you need to pre-heat the kitchen oven to 125 degrees F and then leave each one for about 10 to 15 mins. Do them separately.

It is a Butyl glue that softens with heat, Try it cold and you will chip the glass. Don't ask me how I know.
    I also used a thin kitchen knife (that bends a bit) to pry out the lens. Once the glue was warm it was easy-peasy.

There are a few threads on this:
    https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/977324-s4-fog-lights.html

Replacement glue is sold in lots of places such as the https://www.theretrofitsource.com (no affiliation)

8. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Guys is there a company that offers turnkey lens clean/refurb service out there? I can see me screwing this up royally.

Jhills14 likes this.
  9. Jhills14

Jhills14 Karting

Feb 3, 2020
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    James Hills
    Good question. I too looked and spoke to 2 shops but neither wanted to touch a Ferrari headlight.

By all means, no one listen to me. I encourage that actually.

But the comment above makes me palm my head. 1) I just did it without issue, not so much as a scratch. 2) Send your wife away to use the over... a bit misogynistic. 3) use a knife...? I’d suggest not.

I’ll post a video soon and you can check it out yourself. I’m waiting until my butyl arrives and I’ll put it together so we have a complete beginning to end. Also, I strongly encourage you to check out @imahorse tutorials on FChat as well to see how he did it. It wasn’t his first rodeo either...

Another source is LegitStreetCars on YouTube who did it the same/similar way I did it.

But don’t listen to me. For sure check out these resources and please do not use a knife... not even a butter knife. You’re talking about a thin edge, possibly serrated edge, and you’re taking it to a thin, fragile plastic headlight. Even if you don’t break it, you’d put scratches in that will need extra work to repair. But to each their own. DM me if you’d like to discuss further, I’d be happy to share my experience.

10. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    That's so funny. I've been calling around trying to find someone to put remove an old clear bra and apply a new one. Everyone is gung ho until I tell them it's a Ferrari. They never call back. People have been watching too much Barrett Jackson.

Jhills14 likes this.
  11. Jhills14

Jhills14 Karting

Feb 3, 2020
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    James Hills
    I have a guy in Georgia for that! message me if you’re ever around!

12. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    125 degrees for 10-15 minutes won't be enough. 200 degrees for 20 minutes and it took forever to separate, which damaged the edge of the lense much more than necessary. 210 for 25 minutes was the magic recipe IIRC.

hessank, RANDY6005 and Jhills14 like this.
  13. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Try clearcorners ..no affiliation or endorsement

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Jhills14 likes this.
  14. Jhills14

Jhills14 Karting

Feb 3, 2020
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    James Hills
    Cool! Just looked at them. I didn’t see refinishing for the Ferrari but it looks like they have a paint service perhaps. But lots of other stuff there too. Thanks

15. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Glad you found your own recipe. What I described worked for my Porsche (OE glue).
    Point was not to use a heat gun.

16. Jhills14

Jhills14 Karting

Feb 3, 2020
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    James Hills
    Hey man, I got a donor light for a few parts I needed. If you want, I’ll mail you the donor light so you can practice. You just cover shipping and the promise of a few beers if we ever meet.

The lens and housing are cracked and busted up but they are still glued to one another. It’d be good to heat up and pry apart as practice. Particularly the back housing that houses the bulbs. (That piece is probably worth a few bucks so you could practice taking it apart and salvage that piece for a few dollars. Who knows.)

This way if you tackle your headlights you’ll at least have a little better idea going into it.

Let me know.

17. Jhills14

Jhills14 Karting

Feb 3, 2020
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    James Hills
  18. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Jhills14 likes this.
  19. Jhills14

Jhills14 Karting

Feb 3, 2020
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    James Hills
    Finished the headlight, I have a step by step walk through on taking it apart and putting it back together on my IG (addicted2_hp) and have a YouTube video up for anyone who might be interested.

By the way the butyl I used was Morimoto because it looked to be the closest matching to the factory butyl. $19.99 on amazon.

Please feel free to reach out with comments/questions. I’ll do my best.

Cheers!

hessank and benporter like this.
  20. Jhills14

Jhills14 Karting

Feb 3, 2020
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    James Hills
    As a quick side note and continuation:

I mention in my YouTube video and in this thread that you need to be careful as things can easily break. That is the case with me, too!

I broke 3 female nubs on the headlight. 2 that hold the upper most bulb and a lower one. Literally just by holding the headlight and the pressure from my hand broke it into a dozen little pieces!

We fixed this by finding a straw about the same size and cutting it at about the correct length and filling it with epoxy. Then drill out new holes.

Wasn’t my idea and I give credit to Rick at Collision Pro. But it’s simple-genius!

imahorse likes this.