360 Alternator Harness | FerrariChat

360 Alternator Harness

Discussion in '360/430' started by Fergie, Apr 9, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fergie

Fergie Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 27, 2011
    My car is in for annual service and cambelt replacement. The shop showed me that the alternator harness needs to be replaced. $2000 for part, and $1000 for labor. Car is a 2001 360 Spider with only 6k miles. What could have caused this to need to be replaced so early? Can a trickle charger with a cig adapter cause this? The shop mentioned this is well known by Ferrari, hence there is a new part # for it. Any advice is always appreciated.

2. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    I had a burned alternater harness, the end of which was amputated. The rest of my harness was fine.

3. chris360hawks

chris360hawks Formula Junior

May 29, 2007
    San Antonio, Texas
    Full Name:
    Chris Hard
    Do you have problems with your Battery Light flashing while driving? Can you just cut off the burned part and attach a clean section of the wire to the alternator?

4. ccasilla77

ccasilla77 Rookie

Jan 6, 2010
    El Paso, TX. USA
    Full Name:
    Carlos E Casillas
    Taking advantage of the subject I do have a light flashing on my dash after driving for a while with my lights on. If i turn them off the light goes off.

5. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    my guess it's the heat, lead to oxidation of the wires and connectors. builds up resistance and electrical problems emerge. its usually the connectors (from what seen in my car) and not the wires. I'd replace those first, then the wires in sections that need it, and then entire harness. did they crimp or accidentally cut something?

6. raywong

raywong Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Raymond
    #6 raywong, Apr 10, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
    last year, I got big puff of smoke in the engine compartment, with the battery warning lit up. my mechanic found out the alternator had blown up, the main wire also looking disgusting. the high resistance of the bad wire had probably made the alternator overwork to its death. we didn't buy the expensive wire set from the factory, he just performed some kind of bypass surgery with some wires he found in his shop. no problem so far.

7. Shh1966

Shh1966 Rookie

Mar 16, 2016
    After driving for a while my dash red light starts flashing. I get home and hook up my battery tender and it shows my brand new battery partially discharged. Freshly rebuilt alternator (that was fried) doesn’t seem to be charging the battery. Checked the fuse attached to the red battery cable it’s not blown. Any suggestions