$35K Exotic | FerrariChat

$35K Exotic

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by darkalley, Aug 17, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. darkalley

darkalley Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I know this question has been asked a thousand ways but I was having this conversation with a friend. I started to do some research and this is what I have on my list:

1995 Lotus S4S or S4
    Early 90's NSX
    Ferrari 308
    Ferrari Mondial
    95 911 Coupe

After doing some research the NSX is the safe car of the bunch followed by the 911. But if and when I finally pull the trigger on a weekend driver I think I'm going with the Lotus. Everyone always bashes the Lotus for quality but it seems like the quality of the last year of the turbo 4 cyl cars is actually very good and the 95 S4s goes 0-60 in 4.7 seconds with no mods.... Curious if any Lotus owners can chime in on their experiences with the cars?

2. -FROG-

-FROG- Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 3, 2003
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Paul Daniels
    LOVE the Esprit! Not sure of any problems, but would be my choice too I think. The 308's are nice, so kinda hard to deside...

3. dongerdude

dongerdude Formula 3

Mar 17, 2006
    Full Name:
    Carl
    I was followed on my way home from work by an NSX yesterday and it reminded me of what fabulous looking cars they are - I think it's be my choice - I like it's slightly oddball quirkyness. If it's to be a daily driver, the Porsche or the NSX make the most sense, both the Fcars are nice, but a bit more 'classic' than my taste (you could maybe say the same about the Esprit). A lot of people would say the Porsche, but for me it'd be the NSX - it's great...

4. Carsonp

Carsonp Formula 3

Sep 29, 2004
    Minnesota - NW subs
    Full Name:
    Carson Partain
    do you really need to act like you have money?

$35k gets you a NICE C5 z06 plus some $$$$$$$$ left over for mods incase you REALLY wanted to embares the rest of them...

sorry if Im comong of as ******, but if you ONLY have $35k to spend on a car, you probably dont need a low low low end "exotic"

5. johnei

johnei Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2006
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    John Wiley
    I'd agree with the C5Z being the best performer of the bunch but my second choice would be the NSX. It doesn't get much more exotic than an all aluminum, mid engined, titanium con rod, forged aluminum suspension super car. It also helps that Honda (who didn't make minivans at the time) designed it to be their technical showcase with little regard to expense.

6. DropGems

DropGems Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Atlantic City, NJ
    Easy. Nsx.

7. furious_ferrari

furious_ferrari F1 Rookie

Nov 25, 2005
    Vancouver, Canada
    Full Name:
    Phil
    C5 Z06 would be my choice. You could find a nice one for $30,000 or less and it does 0-60mph in 3.9 second. 1/4 mile in low 12s. Cant find anything fater that is cheaper. I guess I am just biased :)

8. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    Used Lotus Elise

9. HarFerrari

HarFerrari Karting

May 27, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Full Name:
    Isaiah Harf
    What about a new elise? I can't say much about it since I haven't even sat in one, but they look great and exotic.

10. Carsonp

Carsonp Formula 3

Sep 29, 2004
    Minnesota - NW subs
    Full Name:
    Carson Partain

not biased, logical...

11. 150shot

150shot Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2003
    San Dimas, CA
    NSX for sure thats easy. Plus you can drive it literally into the ground living at redline. Smack some rims on, lower it a bit, and you are still turning major heads everywhere you go.

12. chitown dave

chitown dave Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2005
    well...Chicago
    Full Name:
    well...Dave
    Two points - how are you going to use the car and does the 35K tap you out in the car department? The NSX and the Porsche are reliable and cheap to own. For 35K you should get a well sorted 308 but as you know the possiblity for a 5K tuneup is always there and although some swear by there reliability I just don't see it as a second "driver" type car.

I'd think about a 996 Porsche also - they get a bad rap for RMS (rear main seal) problems but most are now fixed and if it isnt its 1K - nothing in Fcar terms. You can buy one for 25K now - a steal for a newer sports car.

I just can't agree with the C5Z idea - yea they're fast but they rattle like a bucket of nickles in a washing machine and you just can't see out of them - my truck has better visibility - great track car thou.

The Elise is a interesting car - I've been watching them and you just may be able to get one for 35K or just a bit over now. But again it's single purpose so forget about driving to the lake house with luggage for the weekend.

13. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    What about a lambo espada, urraco, etc.

I love porsches, but they are hardly exotic. A 996 is more of a daily driver, than anything else.

If you just want a cool car, and a cool car experience...think cheaper. A 35,000$ car will not thrill you more than a 15,000$ car.

Cool cheap cars to consider:

1) 928, later model. 15,000$ or so. Very cool, fast ride. The early cars are going up in value.

2) 911 SC. 15,000$. Cheap. Reliable. Has the cool factor.

3) 944 turbo. Dirt cheap, fast. 8000$.

4) 912, 10-12000$. There is something really cool about this car...based on its simplicity... :)

The 1970's stuk is now becoming collectible...

14. G-Car-Man

G-Car-Man Karting

Nov 21, 2003
    South of Boston
    Full Name:
    Greg K
  15. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas

I know Mike C. well and hold him in high regards. Highly recommended dealership

16. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    For me... Ferrari 308.

Second choice.... Lotus s4s.

If you want newer, Elise.

If you want a 4 seat Cabriolet... modial, but only if the 4 seat thing is important. 400i or a 400i/412 cabrio conversion also an option if you want a Ferrari 12 cylinder.

NSX... not for me. Dated without being classic. I prefer bothe the 308 and the lotus s4s, but it's a personal thing. I'm sure some would disagree.

No offense to corvette lovers,... but corvette is not exotic. Nor is a 911. They are just a used car. Great performance, but not exotic.

17. furious_ferrari

Nov 25, 2005
    Vancouver, Canada
    Full Name:
    Phil

Rattle? I havent heard any rattle. I have no trouble seeing out of it. Just something that takes a day to get used to. Obviously any truck has better visability because you are higher up and can see more/farther ahead. Great track car indeed!

18. ParhamK

ParhamK Formula Junior

Nov 14, 2005
    Sweden, Uppsala
    Full Name:
    Parham K.
    #18 ParhamK, Aug 17, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  19. darkalley

darkalley Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    GT 40 is an interesting thing to throw out there. If i was going the vette route wouldn't a base C6 be a better option than a C5 Z06?

20. Mike J

Mike J Formula Junior

May 10, 2005
    Ship Bottom, NJ
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I would usually say Porsche, but based upon your criteria I agree with the others who have said C5 ZO6. The car is tight, (much better built than my old 99 CLK430) and very quick. The interior is mediocre, but the performance is wonderful. It is also relatively inexpensive to maintain which sounds like it may be a consideration for you.

21. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Are you sure it's no more than $40k used? Maybe in Euros??? USD I can't find any under 50.

I can't think of many exotic cars under $35k. Maybe some type of old 911 Turbo is the closest thing I could think of, but I wouldn't really call it exotic unless it is a very rare model. Other than that, there wouldn't be another car I'd want for that price range that would be called exotic.

22. darkalley

darkalley Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    #22 darkalley, Aug 17, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'm actually not on the market yet..... just thought I'd throw the question to get a discussion going..... True the 0-60 in the Z06 is incredible but the few times I've driven it I wasn't overly impressed beyond the straight line performance. Not really an Exotic but how about a 98 TT Supra????

I don'tthink the Lotus owner is "acting" like they have money any more than a 308 owner... You could go out and pick up a Mustang GT or STI if you wanted cheap speed. The S4S, NSX, 993 are all cars one can really enjoy on a Saturday. I just can't get that passionate about a C5 Z06. Maybe it's the fact that the outline of the Lotus hasn't changed since I was a kid but I find myself turning around whenever one goes by...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. ParhamK

ParhamK Formula Junior

Nov 14, 2005
    Sweden, Uppsala
    Full Name:
    Parham K.

I have seen tons of factory built 100% done and US legal GT40´s sell for 40-45k $ on the classifieds section of gt40s.com. I read that the thread starter wanted something cheap to maintain.....I dont know why but exotic + cheap to maintain just doesn´t ring any bells for me. If he just wants a sports car (i.e no exotic), I would go for a Lotus Esprit S4, old 911 turbo.

If he has the time to research for cars I would find a nice Detomaso Pantera, 351 cleveland engine (tons of parts everywhere, cheap), and a really cool exterior...+ it´s a real exotic.

Another car that would be cool to look into is the Marcos 3.0. Look really neat, but find one without the wooden tube chassies (there are plenty with aftermarket aluminium chassies). I was in a market for one not too long ago, you can find a really nice one for 10k....and the thing is LOW. And it got a old ford engine so parts arent really a problem.

24. furious_ferrari

Nov 25, 2005
    Vancouver, Canada
    Full Name:
    Phil
    C5 Z06 is faster and handles better. C6 Z06 will kill anything though...but thats like more then double the price.

25. indaville

indaville Formula 3

Oct 6, 2005
    Louisville, KY
    Either the Ferrari or Lotus is what I would buy. I love 911's and I will own one day, but you see them everywhere. The NSX does not seem very exotic to me, nice car though.

Matt