355 Water Pump | FerrariChat

355 Water Pump

Discussion in '348/355' started by kalinsd, Oct 10, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kalinsd

kalinsd Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2010
    Washington
    Full Name:
    DJ
    #1 kalinsd, Oct 10, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Think the water pump seal is on the way out. Left side of clutch housing is showing signs of antifreeze, while the other side is clean. Also, the antifreeze is showing on the oil sump. If not the water pump, what might it be?

BTW, the car does not drip any coolant onto the floor.

Thanks in advance.

DJ
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I am not sure that would be my diagnosis.

3. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Something is starting to weep DJ, that's for sure.

Can you pressure test the cooling system yourself?

If not, take it to someone who can pressure test the cooling system for you so you/they can inspect for leaks.

It could be the water pump, but it could be a hose clamp that needs to be nipped up a 1/4 of a turn.

Definitely have the cooling system pressure tested, it's the only way to know for sure what is leaking mate.

4. dougburhyte

dougburhyte Karting

Dec 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    Douglas Burhyte
    DJ - Could be the seal, as it does fail in the 355. I had a similar problem... smelled a bit of anti-freeze while driving with the targa top removed but didn't have visible signs of a leak. If you have a means to pressurize the cooling system to, say, 5-10 psig, which I think is close to normal when the engine is warm and running, you might be able to detect some leakage around the seal. Mine was pretty minor, so I lived with it for a couple of years until I had the engine-out service performed. Hope this helps.

Doug

5. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    If the water pump seal fails, the water drips out of the weep hole under the pump, gets splashed around by the spinning action of the belts and sprays it to the left front of the engine.

The leaks onto the case of the transmission points to a possible coolant leak over the top of the engine. There are so many possibilities. A pressure test will tell right away.

6. kalinsd

kalinsd Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2010
    Washington
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Thanks everyone. Pressure Test It Is!

Best,

DJ

7. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Good man, please let us know what happens. :)

8. kalinsd

kalinsd Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2010
    Washington
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Need to get this pressure test completed. Would like to get a recommendation on which tester to purchase.

Thanks and will report back on what is found on this poor old and tired 355....

9. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Install the new waterpump. Fill car with coolant. Apply Stant pressure tester unit to the coolant tank (with a specific tank cap adapter). Watch for leaks.

10. kalinsd

kalinsd Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2010
    Washington
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Long overdue update on the cooling system leak on the 355........ Used the Motive Pressure Bleeder to charge the system to ~15lbs and found the leak. Located just in front of the right head is a hose/clamp where the clamp was just finger tight. A few twists on that clamp, repressurized the system and no leaking.

Dumping the oil and want to dump the old gas too. Less than a 8th of a tank of gas and wondering if the remaining gas is easily drained via the plug at the bottom of the tank? Once that plug is removed, will it require a gasket or is the existing reusable.

Thanks and looking forward to at least driving this one to Cars & Coffee. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. spaghetti_jet

spaghetti_jet Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2005
    Europa
    Full Name:
    Bob
    the brass bolt on the bottom of the fuel pump housing is the drain plug. You will get virtually all the fuel out from there. Getting the plug out creates a mess, but once out it drains straight down.

There is a small rubber o ring on the drain plug and they’re pretty cheap, so worth changing.

I thought my tank was almost empty, I did maybe 80km with the fuel light on and I was almost caught out by the amount of fuel still in there. Prepare cans for double whatever you think is in there. It’s no fun to run out of cans while the fuel is still gushing out.

Qavion likes this.
  12. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    After the low fuel light comes on there is still 5 gallons of so left. At least in mine there was. What a mess.

taz355 likes this.
  13. kalinsd

kalinsd Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2010
    Washington
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Gentlemen all! Thanks for the heads up. I've lots of storage containers for the old gas.