355 - 355 rebuild | FerrariChat

355 355 rebuild

Discussion in '348/355' started by MegaLoL, Mar 5, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MegaLoL

MegaLoL Rookie

May 27, 2020
    Full Name:
    Luke
    I would like to introduce my 355 i bought some time ago. Before that i will share some story about it ;)
    I have been a big fan of 355 since i was a kid. I won't say anything new to this community but for me is also one of the best looking and the best sounding Ferrari :)
    I was in the market for a long time but i was afraid of maintenace for this car. Over here in Poland i did not know anyone who could handle it. And this is why it was pushing me away everytime i wanted to pull the trigger. That was the case for a looong time. But i came across finally a very skilled mechanic around my area who has had possibility to work with few 355 challenges. And he convinced me to not afraid of this car. You know... Everyone heard horror stories and maintenance costs with these cars.

So i was looking for a decent one especially on japanese market cause i prefered to get already moded one since i have planned to mod it anyway. Few times i was close to get one, but i did not wanted red one:rolleyes: and not F1. So sometimes it was nice moded F1 and sometimes it was pretty much all the time red ones ;)Anyway... Finally my friend sent me a link from copart and combo was a pretty much my favorite colour beside black one. Interior also looks cool with this color. Car had very minor damage and what was the best and suprising aswell that only ONE owner since 1997! Yeah.. One owner. BTW maybe some of you could help me to reach this guy. I tried but with no success.

So i got it and it's already repaired and still in process of modifications :) First thing i got it was a challenge grill:) What is cool that car was ordered without radio and with carbon package so i believe it was rare that time.

I already got aftermarket parts like Kreissieg, Gruppe M, BBS and few others.

In meantime grab some photos from auction yard, delivery time, rebuild process etc. I will post more including dyno results, engine work and rest.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

ShineKen likes this.
  2. MegaLoL

MegaLoL Rookie

May 27, 2020
    Full Name:
    Luke

Attached Files:

audi_328, OCKlasse, Qavion and 2 others like this.
  3. 275GTB

275GTB Formula 3

Jan 12, 2010
    London
    Full Name:
    Mark McCracken
    Welcome and congratulations! great job on the repair.

MegaLoL likes this.
  4. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Looking forward to updates! Welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MegaLoL likes this.
  5. margarita

margarita Formula 3

Mar 20, 2011
    usa
    Beautifull car congratulation

MegaLoL likes this.
  6. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Congrats, you saved it. Looks great.

MegaLoL likes this.
  7. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Welcome Luke. What year is the car? What items were carbon?

8. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    Feel bad for the original owner who owned it since new and for that to happen to it!

But looks like it's in good hands now. Congrats and welcome to the club.

9. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    From the pics looks like just carbon overlay on the center console - not OEM.

Congrats on saving the car! Nice combination.

10. MegaLoL

MegaLoL Rookie

May 27, 2020
    Full Name:
    Luke
    Thanks for the nice comments.

11. MegaLoL

MegaLoL Rookie

May 27, 2020
    Full Name:
    Luke
    Interior trim. Console, door handles and there was something else too :p Don't remember what.

12. MegaLoL

MegaLoL Rookie

May 27, 2020
    Full Name:
    Luke
    So little update.

Before car was finished from body shop i ordered some stuff i mentioned before. This the second car i own that i bought upgrades before the first ride :) So not common way for me. But wasn't bad suprised after first ride. Pleasant car to drive.

Anyway so first was challenge grill and then Gruppe M air intake and i found Kreissieg F1 exuast in good condition. Cats are going out so i did custom straight pipes. And also standalone ECU. I wanted to put some aftermarket headers aswell but previous owner already did that with Fabspeed. I heard that these cars are quite "castrated" from Maranello so let's see what i can pull out from this package. Stock power was way below factory claims :) Quite suprising even i knew it wont show factory power but when car went to the mechanic shop we found some issues what was the cause. But i will post about it later.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

ShineKen and Qavion like this.
  13. MegaLoL

MegaLoL Rookie

May 27, 2020
    Full Name:
    Luke
    Aaa the car is 1997. 19k mileage.

14. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Congratulations. The car looks very nice after the repairs. It is great that you saved it. Enjoy:)

MegaLoL likes this.
  15. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Good thinking on the heat shielding. I did the same.

MegaLoL likes this.
  16. MegaLoL

MegaLoL Rookie

May 27, 2020
    Full Name:
    Luke
    #17 MegaLoL, Mar 17, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
    Update.

Like i wrote in previous posts i want to write about power issues. So i went to the dyno to check power before tune and best result was 326 hp. I knew those cars don't like hold power but below 330 was a suprised. At least i knew that there is some issue.

Car went to the mechanic and first he noticed that throttle does not open fully. 75-80%. Probably due the gas pedal line. I felt that gas pedal works funny. So there at least few hp lost. We checked injectors but they are fine. Engine drop down and he started to digging. First compression. Well not good results. Way below average. So also few or even dozen hp lost but few tricks and back to normal i would say. Now is even higher than after second test. And final camshafts... Quite wrong exhaust and intake positions. At least few degress. So not sure if someone messed this when was working with distrubution or maybe this is how the car left factory. Can't say for 100% if previous owner did something with timing belt etc. so maybe someone did bad job with camshafts. But also that looked like no one touched this before. No work signs over there. Difficult to judge. But that also took away few hp or even more.

So i believe all of those problems are solved now plus timing belt, water pump and dozen different things, parts etc. has been changed.

Attached Files:

Targatime and Qavion like this.
  17. Carmellini

Carmellini Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2019
    What were your HP numbers after all the work?

18. MegaLoL

MegaLoL Rookie

May 27, 2020
    Full Name:
    Luke
    Car is still in progress of assembling everything back including stand alone ECU harness, senors etc. Then tune and we will see it. So right now is back to "stock" power levels i believe but i will visit dyno once everything will be done after tune.

carnutdallas and Ferraripilot like this.
  19. MegaLoL

MegaLoL Rookie

May 27, 2020
    Full Name:
    Luke