355 F1 system reliability | Page 3 | FerrariChat

355 F1 system reliability

Discussion in '348/355' started by rllucero, Feb 16, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PKF355

PKF355 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2003
    sOCal
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    I've had three 1999 F1 355 (Berlinetta, Spider and a Fiorano) and all three NEVER had a problem. Secret to my stress-free F355 ownership is finding someone who really knows these cars to work on them and keeping them maintained that way. Once the F1 trans is properly sorted and maintained, they are wonderful and very enjoyable to drive. I may also want to mention the convertible top too; never had a problem there.

cavlino likes this.
  2. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Meh. Sounds like you had a shop that didn't know how to handle the cars. That's too bad.

I have had my 1998 355F1 for 10 years and 30,000 miles. The biggest headache was when they shop screwed up the F1 system because their SD computer went on the blink. They fixed it.

It's a pretty simple system. Sure, it adds a level of complexity, but if you can't handle that then it's not for you.

cavlino and taz355 like this.
  3. judd10

judd10 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 30, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    I could not agree more! In my opinion, having a mechanic who knows what they're doing is key to a positive 355 (& general Ferrari) ownership experience... I've had two 355 F1s and never had a problem (albeit I've only driven my current on around 5k miles over the last 14 years). In the early 1990s, I had a 308 GTSi that broke down and left me stranded once or twice a year. It turns out, the PO had gone to local guys who had NO clue what the heck they were doing. I spent around $10k with a mechanic who sorted things out with the transmission, engine and steering rack/suspension. After that, I had about 10 years of near problem free ownership until I sold it. A good mechanic, familiar with your F-car, is worth multiples of his weight in gold!!!

PKF355 likes this.
  4. ExcelsiorZ

ExcelsiorZ Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 7, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Actually, I had just purchased each of the two 1999 respectively when they failed. In other words, even before I did any service to the cars. Here is the simple reality: The manual gearbox 355 does not use cables like most cars, but instead, an actual metal rod goes from the gearbox to the shifter box and it is hard to imagine how that can ever fail. On the other hand, the F1 paddle shift in the F355 is Ferrari's first. It has many places it can go wrong. Leave your engine lid open it won't go into gear. A relay behind the seat fails it wont work. A relay in the footwell fails it won't work. One of the two special giant fuses fails it won't work. If the engine mounts sag it will put pressure on the actuator and it won't work. They system gets any air in it it won't work. The pump fails or does not make enough pressure it won't work. Etc. That is the simple reality: One the one hand the manual is almost unbreakable whereas the paddles have numerous things that can cause the car to leave you stranded. Its really that simple.

5. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Oh, I know how they work.

Like I said, it seems the extra level of complexity is a struggle for some.... I maintain the car in such a way that saggy motor mounts and the like are never an issue. Extra fuses is standard fair on any car that is 20+ years old.

I really enjoy the 355 F1 system. It is a very unique system truly pulled form the F1 cars of that era.
    This is a true hydro-mechanical system operating a 6 speed manual transmission...not some glorified automatic. It's bloody brilliant.
    It is a thing of beauty to drive and far faster and more accurate than any manual effort could produce.
    Besides, I have other cars with manual's in them.....

cavlino, taz355, 4respy and 3 others like this.
  6. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    everything you have said is 100% true
    You can replace everything you have just mention for under 1000 bucks
    This would also include an accumulator because cars could be 20 plus years on an original.

I have had my car for a long long time and interestingly have had every one of this problems 1 time.
    Had I know what I know now I would have spent 1000 bucks more and fixed them all right away.

I would not have liked my car had I not understood the system. Most of those failures did leave me with a tow home but I have had new cars do the same and never kept them long enough to have multiple failures.
    The non f1 will have none of those issues except not shifting due to bad mounts as this can happen as well
    The shifter also needs to be adjusted if you drive a lot or it will not work properly.

I have had both and for me the f1 is way better, but that’s just me.

cavlino and phrogs like this.
  7. 4respy

4respy Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2014
    los angeles
    Full Name:
    steve
    I have to say that I have owned Both the manual 97 and 2 99 F1'S.. I have had no problems with either 99..I liked the manual,but never thought it was so great..I Enjoy shifting my 997 4S Manual way more than a 355 manual..I also enjoyed my 94 Diablo SE way more for a gated shifter!.. The 550 Maranello and F50 feel like the ultimate gated shifter for a Ferrari by the way.. 355 manual has its quirks can be awkward 2nd to third at times ..There for surely is nothing to write home about this gearbox..Better than a 348 and that's not saying much.. I think people who bash a 355F1 are ignorant to them.. And there is nothing so special about a 95 through mid 98 being a stick simply because everyone of them is a stick!.. The only cars to appreciated and rare in a stick are the ones made during F1 production..But regardless of year there still there will always be a lot more sticks in 355's and less F1's unlike the newer cars 360 and 430 that there will always be more F1's..

tres55 likes this.
  8. 4respy

4respy Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2014
    los angeles
    Full Name:
    steve
    Exactly.. We can drive cars with better manual transmissions!!