355 F1 system reliability | FerrariChat

355 F1 system reliability

Discussion in '348/355' started by rllucero, Feb 16, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rllucero

rllucero Formula Junior

Jul 11, 2006
    Santa Fe/San Diego
    Full Name:
    richontravel
    Its been awhile since I've seen a thread that covers the reliability of the 355 F1 system. When I was buying my 355 F1 I read more negative threads regarding pumps, F1 shifting problems, falling out of gear, etc. etc. I've now had my car over 2 years and have virtually no problems with my F1 system. Before I took ownership of my car, Dave Helms did the PPI and went through everything including the F1 system. Since then, my car and F1 system has been bullet proof. I've probably put close to 3000 miles and 75% of it has been in town driving and only once did I have the problem when I was at a stop light and it didn't get into 1st from neutral.

Lets see some posts from other F1 owners with any problems or lack of regaridng the 355 F1 system. Who knows maybe I've just been lucky or the F1 system is relativley a solid piece of mechanical equipment.

2. Monteman

Monteman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 9, 2006
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Monte
    I agree that the 355 F1 problems are simply a bunch of hype from non F1 owners. I've had my F1 car for over three years and loved it. I've replaced the relay and bled the system and that's it.

I've yet to hear of one person who has actually owned a F1 equipped car encounter the problems that I've seen and heard people carry on about on this site. I'm sure there are people that prefer the 6 speed and that's fine, but don't throw the F1 under the bus to justify it. Please folks, unless you've had one, don't bash it. If there is someone who really does own an F1 equipped car that has had problems I'd love to hear it.

3. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    I've had mine for about 4.5 years and put about 31,000 miles on it... I'm up to 42,000 total now. Haven't had a single problem other than the LEDs burning out on the gear indicator. Got that fixed pretty easily and cheaply at Ricambi.

-R

4. JSBMD

JSBMD Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2007
    The OC
    Full Name:
    John
    Similar experience for me. Two years, 7K miles, only the gear indicator LED burn out issue, also easily fixed by Ricambi. Curious to see what kind of clutch life I get, because I think I'm driving it "smartly", the way I would drive a manual car, but that remains to be seen at this point.

John

5. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Rich- Love my F1, even if it is on a different car. The time your car would not go into gear from Neutral was probably caused by not pushing on the brake hard enough for the system to recognize it. Ask me how I know. I had a line of cars honking at me on a mane drag when I fouled that one up.

The 355 did not have the digital throttle of the later F1 cars. That is where the unwashed with no experience on 355 F1 (me included in no experience) always express doubts. Sounds like it works fine based on what you are all saying. Are the downshifts in Sport really quick and perfectly synchronized with a throttle blip like they are on the digital throttle cars?

The 355 still looks beautiful and contemporary, helped by the attractive 18" wheels, in my opinion, and nothing sounds as nice as that 5 valve engine at 8500 rpm.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

6. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Very, very well said. They have been great especially considering they were such a new technology.

When the break they CAN be expensive but they just don't break that often.

7. johan6504

johan6504 Formula 3

Jun 28, 2005
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Johan
    I have had the same experience with my two 355 F1. In the last 3 years I have had NO problems what so ever with the F1 gear box or any thing else for that matter.

8. BLAMPEE

BLAMPEE Man Card Status: Never Issued

I have the service records for my 1999 355 F1 and, including the 4000 miles I have put on her (since July 2008!), I have had no problems. One of the LED indicator lights burnt out even though the entire LED display was replaced back in 2004 at a Ferrari dealer due to the same problem.

What does Ricambi charge to fix it???

9. f355jimv

f355jimv Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2008
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jim
    To date, not any issues with my F1. As some have mentioned, my LED was missing some bars but that was a easy fix.

By the way, tons of fun to drive!

10. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    Its the later of the two.

I have never understood all the negative hype regarding these systems. What is true is many do not understand the systems fully or do not have the equipment to properly service it and this leads to negative feedback.

Personally I prefer the non-throttle controlled systems as found in the 355 as it requires the driver participation to drive it well. Just a heal/toe personal preference thing I have never lost the enjoyment from when one is on their game.

11. RossoCorsaItaly

RossoCorsaItaly F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    LA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    99 355 f1, no problems minus one LED is burnt out which doesn't really bother me yet. had the car for about a year and a half and have done near 17k miles on it, making the total 31k.

12. BLAMPEE

BLAMPEE Man Card Status: Never Issued

BTW...my 355 has 21,800 miles on the odo. :D

13. Lucky355F1

Lucky355F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2008
    Bridgewater, NJ
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    My 98 355 F1 has 51,000 miles and I have not had any trouble at all. The only thing was the F1 display had a bad segment which I just replaced. Ricambia has an exchange deal for $180.00 just send in your bad one.

14. Monteman

Monteman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 9, 2006
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Monte
    My F1 has 32K miles

15. UConn Husky

UConn Husky F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Let's hear it for the F1, LOVE it!!! 2 yrs here, 40k+ on the car, works great.

ok I'll offer one bit to the anti-F1 crowd...it can eat clutches faster than the 3 pedal 6-spd. Luckily the clutch is very easy to get to and replace...and for the F1 enjoyment I'd be happy to replace it every 3-5 yrs if that's what I end up needing.

16. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
  17. rllucero

rllucero Formula Junior

Jul 11, 2006
    Santa Fe/San Diego
    Full Name:
    richontravel
  18. James-NZ

James-NZ F1 Veteran

Jun 26, 2007
    Hamilton, NewZealand
    Full Name:
    James
    #18 James-NZ, Feb 17, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
    I used to own a 355F1, some here will remember the thread about the problem with this car. Very long story short, the car would shift to N randomly and flash the gear display. I owned the car around 8 months during that time it spent about 5 months in the workshop. Numerous parts were replaced, no expense spared.

F1 is great when its working correctly but can be hard to diagnose if an abnormal fault occurs, the fault with my old car is still not fixed IMO, there has not been enough testing done after the last "fix" to confirm the problem is gone.

For me, and not to start the debate of F1 v's 6spd but they are different systems for different occasions. If i was tracking my car heavily and only drove it on back roads for a good spirited drive then it would have to be a F1, no question. But I use my car for more than that, I like to be able to parallel park my car with out the harsh clutch pick up on the F1 system, also the F1's fast gear changes are excellent in spirited driving, but how many time in a standard manual car have you slammed your gear change in .5sec while on the way to a friends home for dinner? In the F1 it does this every time......

These are just some of my observations of both 355F1 and F355 ownership.

Ohh, and 3000miles over 2 years is not testament to a reliable car. I do that in 6 months.

19. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    I was thinking of jumping into this 'F1 love fest' ...... because some of my best friends have F1 GBs ...... "not that there is anything wrong with with it" as mentioned on a certain Seinfeld episode ...... ;)

BTW James, now I know why you don't spend as much time on here as I do ................ you are actually out driving ....... :D!!!!!

20. James-NZ

James-NZ F1 Veteran

Jun 26, 2007
    Hamilton, NewZealand
    Full Name:
    James
    Yep, it's summer down here ATM, make the most of the sunshine! :D That, and my new found hobby :eek: She is fluent in Italian too ;)

One day I would like to buy you a beer and talk cars Oz, one fine day.

21. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    Without a doubt my friend ........... NZ has been a place I wanted to visit for a long time ........... or if you ever find yourself in L.A. ...... just drop a PM .............. :cool:

22. James-NZ

James-NZ F1 Veteran

Jun 26, 2007
    Hamilton, NewZealand
    Full Name:
    James
    Its a deal. :cool:

23. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    Rich, I echo the sentiments of the others I have had my car for for over 5 years done over 20K miles(on the original clutch) and have had only one problem which was the failure of the F1 electrical pump motor I asked for help on the forum but the concensus of opinion was that it would require a full F1 module change I did not accept that and started digging around for another (and cheaper) solution I will not bore everyone with the outcome as it can be researched on here I wrote the complete history of how I solved the problem relatively cheaply by sourcing the pump motor and fitting it myself please search for it (think it is under F1 pump failure or system failure) all F1 owners should have the method saved as it saved in the region of $8.5K and believe me it was simple to do.
    My advice is to go for it, personally I will never have another Ferrari that is not F1 (had a 328 GTS previous)
    Good luck
    Dave

24. rllucero

rllucero Formula Junior

Jul 11, 2006
    Santa Fe/San Diego
    Full Name:
    richontravel
    Nice post Dave, as with this thread all threads (as you mention about your pump replacement) that can help out potential or exisiting 355 owners is important to the Ferrair community. I've learned so much from this forum that it helps take out alot of the unknowns out of Ferrari ownership. I agree, F1 cars are really great cars to own and drive.

Richard

25. helmsleyera1

helmsleyera1 Rookie

May 3, 2015
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Veronica
    Hi. I am a relatively new (~10 months) owner of a 1999 355 F1 Spider. Having absolutely no experience with Ferraris going in, needless to say I was beyond apprehensive. I won't get in to the day we received it and the drama in getting it off the trailer....but since that day, there have been a few issues with the F1 that is now not appearing to be normal from this thread. However, they've never been anything super serious, I just thought they were little eccentricities given that it was the first of its kind.

1) Shift to a higher gear and the number will flash like the transmission doesn't know that the next gear exists. This is solved by downshifting and then shifting back up again.

2) Sometimes the car goes to neutral at a stop light after downshifting to first. Again, just putting it back to first and you're good to go...just kind of annoying.

3) Today, I was coming up a long hill and stopped at a stop sign. The transmission downshifted to first, but then had sort of a freak-out moment and the transmission light came on. I panicked a bit but put it in to neutral and back to first and the light went right off.

4) Reverse takes about one to three tries to actually engage. Once in reverse, unless you're actively moving, it goes back in to neutral after about 10-20 seconds. Again, you just have to re-engage the reverse gear, it just takes time.

Are any of these a sign of an underlying issue? We haven't had a chance to check fluids as we haven't been able to decipher all of the diagrams in the manual (am going to check with our local foreign car repair shop on that as I can't find a diagram for my Dad that covers the entire engine....that manual is so useless), but I do have service records for the car indicating that the f1 transmission was replaced about 2 years ago. Thanks!!

Veronica