355 door locks cycle on/off, passenger door won't open | FerrariChat

355 door locks cycle on/off, passenger door won't open

Discussion in '348/355' started by redwedge, May 23, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. redwedge

redwedge Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Steve C
    There are quite a few threads about this, but none of them have quite the same symptoms, and the coat hanger trick mentioned in one of them hasn't worked for me, so I've started a new thread.

I just got home from a great drive in my 355. I pulled up and unlocked the doors using the switch on the centre console. The door locks began cycling up and down. I was able to get out by timing the pull of the door release to coincide with the driver's side lock being in the unlocked position.

The problem appears to be due to the passenger side lock binding. When the door gets an "unlock" signal, the lock post rises a little but then retracts back in. I cannot unlock the passenger door at all - not with the key, not by pulling the lock post, whether the battery is disconnected or not. The door doesn't appear to be misaligned, so I don't think the door has been pushed past its usual home.

The car is quite happy to sit there with the doors locked and the alarm on. I'm able to gain entry again by unlocking the driver's door and using the door handle before the car locks the doors again.

Any ideas? I can't get access to the door mechanism the usual way as you need to have the door open to remove the door cards.

2. Intheflesh

Intheflesh Formula 3

Jun 2, 2006
    Salem NH
    Full Name:
    John T
    this happened to me too.

I took a different approach to fixing it... I pulled the fuse lol.

It did coincide with me taking the door panels off, so maybe there is some binding issues like you said. I haven't had a chance to really investigate the problem, so I took a half-assed approach to the fix.

3. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    Disconnect the battery. Unlock the doors. Open & disassemble.

4. redwedge

redwedge Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Steve C
    I can't unlock the passenger side door at all - even with the battery disconnected. The cylinder won't budge and the post refuses to be pulled up.

5. apex97

apex97 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2006
    Stockbridge, GA
    Full Name:
    Edward Zabinski
    Man that is a tough one! I have never had this happen in a Ferrari, but I've seen it on other cars.
    First, I'd pull the fuse for the power door locks while you diagnose the issue.
    Second, The issue is probably caused by the door latch being in bound up by either not being all the way latched, pushed too far by a hard slam, or possibly a piece of debris in the mechanism. Roll down the window and have an assistant firmly pull outward on the door while you experiment with the key lock or lock button and see if you can get it unlocked. If pulling out doesn't work then pushing in a bit might.
    Once the door is unlocked and open, carefully look over the latch mechanism for binding. If that all seems fine them pull the door card and start looking for anything thats been bent or come apart.
    If this fails, things get much uglier and a trip to the dealer is probably the best plan.

6. 355tsr

355tsr Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2010
    I had this happen all I had to do was to adjust the locking post on the door jam...loosen with an allen wrench move it ever so,slightly out (away from car) retighten the post and check. mine worked first time ...the post is binding on the lock and excess pressure is making the lock cycle...

7. redwedge

redwedge Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Steve C
    How did you get the door open in order to access the door jamb?

8. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Try pushing the door in while unlocking to take pressure off of the mechanism.

9. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    I had this same symptom, and realized, quite accidentally, that it was caused (in my case) by the seat belt latch being caught in the door.

So, one way or another, it's probably either a problem with the door not closing properly, or with the alignment of the door and latch.

Mike

10. redwedge

redwedge Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Steve C
    #10 redwedge, May 23, 2013
    Last edited: May 23, 2013
    Thanks all. Managed to unlock the door by plipping the remote while pushing on the door from the inside. It didn't actually take much pressure to do it. Given that I need to push the door outwards, I assume the striker needs to be adjusted outwards.

Funnily enough, I spent the weekend driving around with my girlfriend who, despite my friendly advice, slammed the door shut with the force usually required to close a bank vault. I suppose this was the cause of the problem.

11. apex97

apex97 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2006
    Stockbridge, GA
    Full Name:
    Edward Zabinski
    Excellent, glad it worked out. Yes a small adjustment outwards of the striker would be advisable..don't over do it, it doesn't take much.

12. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    #12 Dave rocks, May 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here is an idea:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Carmellini

Carmellini Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2019
    I am the latest victim. Cannot get my drivers door to unlock. Going on three days. The locks rapidly cycle like described in the first post. The post for the passenger door will pull up further and unlock the door. The drivers door post does not pull up far enough and will not unlock the door. You can feel the resistance in the post. I don't want to force it any more.

Can I get any access by removing the 2 allen head screws for the outside door handle? In my case, I believe the striker post on the quarter panel migrated outward and has caused the latch to bind on the striker post. There are a good number of threads about this issue, but no conclusive solutions????

14. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    The car that just keeps giving...... problems )

Will it go up further with the key? (with the battery disconnected).

The mechanism is quite resistant. The actuators actually help move the plunger into the right position.

You may get some access by removing the door scoop. Any more, and you're looking at interior door card removal. Maybe you can look at online pictures of locks for sale and the parts manual to get a better idea of what you're looking at. Do you have any plastic trim removal tools and some spare plastic door card clips? I usually leave some on standby.

When locking, if one actuator doesn't move into the locked position, both doors are commanded to unlock. I didn't realise it was similar for opening (both actuators are commanded to lock if one doesn't go into the unlock position?).

15. Carmellini

Jul 16, 2019
    LOL...its like its always Christmas.......a new present everyday..ha ha

No.

Yup. Been studying.....lol

16. Carmellini

Jul 16, 2019
    Yes, that is my problem. It is a mechanical problem and not electrical. When power is disconnected, the passenger door look post will pull up and down smoothly, but the drivers lock post is resistant in either direction. Open to other ideas and thoughts?

17. Carmellini

Jul 16, 2019
    After examining the passenger lock, I know that my drivers door is partially locked. The door jamb adjustment post was loose enough to migrate outward and must not be stable enough for me to push the door in further to catch the second lock. Certain that once the door is opened, simply tightening the post will solve the problem.

However, how am I going to get the door open? What type of tool can I slide down thru the window opening and not damage the rubber, door card, or glass?

18. Carmellini

Jul 16, 2019
    I GOT IT! Was a real PITA, but I was able to open the door. The solution was much easier than expected and I will be my best to articulate for everyone to benefit.

My situation was exactly as I thought. A few days ago, I noticed my drivers door was no longer flush against the rear quarter. Needed to adjust the striker post, but waited a few days.....a few days too many.....lol. When I got the door open, the striker post was not in a fix position, but completely loose. The door latch has 2 latch positions, and while the door will keep shut in the first position, the 2nd latch needs to engage to fully complete the positioning of the door. As Ian mentioned, when one latch is not fully engaged, or to quote from post #14:

"if one actuator doesn't move into the (fully) locked position, both doors are commanded to unlock. I didn't realize it was similar for opening both actuators are commanded to lock if one doesn't go into the unlock position."

this is why the doors will rapidly go back and forth between lock and unlock.

In order to get my door opened, I first turned off the battery to stop the actuators. With the windows in the down position, I was able to get a flat mini flashlight in between the door panel and door glass. Peering first in the passenger door, I could see how the latch moved with the door handles. With the passenger door open, I was able to engage the first position on the latch and with a very long thin bladed screwdriver, I could push down on the backside of the latch that connects to the interior door handle. Immediately released the latch. When over to the drivers door and voila, the latch disengaged. Hope this helps; actually, I hope no one has to go through this.......not fun.....

Qavion likes this.
  19. Carmellini

Jul 16, 2019
    All I need to do is adjust and tighten my striker post, but not sure of the proper orientation:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Circled is a 12mm tab that I assume must either face the door or the interior? Tab is there for a reason, but I don't see it?

20. Carmellini

Jul 16, 2019
    ^^^^Perhaps someone can take a look at the striker posts and report the orientation? Thanks

21. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
  22. Carmellini

Jul 16, 2019