355 broken propeller shaft ++ Help | FerrariChat

355 broken propeller shaft ++ Help

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by ahrddr, Mar 14, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ahrddr

ahrddr Rookie

Aug 1, 2007
    So Cal/N. VA/FL
    hey guys, got this thread buried somewhere in 355 space too but thoght it wouldnt hurt to repost here. a couple of weeks ago I broke down while driving at a cruising (as opposed to accel)around 45mph. got a slow down light, felt like one half of the engine shut down and then i hear this rukus in the back that sounds like someon threw gravel into my engine. I made why way back o the house but then the engine just reved and went nowhere. the nearest fcar shop is over 3 hrs away so i'm on my own.

Ok, will post the pics I took today after I clean up/give up for the dayy but this is the progress report on the whole broken shaft mystery (pics will help explain but for now this will have to do). if you recall, i broke down orignally and thought that I had just broke a t/o bearing or had other clutch issues. took off the pumpkin and found a) the entire insides of the pumpkin covered in a silvery grey gooey mess of some sort of grease and b) the drive shaft (aka propeller shaft per diagrams) was sheered clean off. so clean that I didnt even notice it was broken off at first. it sheered exactly at the rearmost triple channel seal channel. got another shaft, pulled the gearbox, put in the new shaft was moving the flywheel around and noticed that one of the screws on on the back of the flywheel assembly was missing. I rotated the flywheel around and heard a distinctive clinking sound like a small piece of metal inside the flywheel between the housing assembly and the disk . i searched the 'goo' in the pumpkin/cover and sure enough found the other half of a broken screw. apparently it had gotten sheered off somehow and the bottom 1/4 of the bolt is still clinking around inside the flywheel assembly. SO- can someone PLEASE tell me if the flywheel assembly comes apart (because ive removed every fastener on the damn thing ( star headed, bolts..even what appear to be plugs for screws to push out the disk <just guessing on that/their purpose>.you name it, I've undone it) and nothing comes apart to allow me to take apart the flywheel to get inside and remove the broken part of bolt.
    Can someone PLEASE tell me who this all comes apart and if so....HOW?

REALLY appreciate any help her. At a total standstill until I can get that damn bolt part out of the flywheel. I think the grey goo might be flywheel grease...but having only been inside the gearbox once (this time), i have no idea. if it is flywheel grease, where do i put it when i replace it?

Nowhere near a place that works on fcars (3 hr drive one way) so Im on my own. all help is appreciated. rearing to get this girl back on the road asap! thanks in advance!

2. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    If you have all of the fasteners that secure the two halves of the flywheel removed, there are two allen plugs on the housing that you take out. Then thread long bolts into them, and this will separate the flywheel. Do a search on repacking the flywheel with grease, and you will find many threads on this subject. Take care not to lose any parts from inside the flywheel once you have it apart, as they are not available separately.

3. ahrddr

ahrddr Rookie

Aug 1, 2007
    So Cal/N. VA/FL
    thank you, will try that. I know exactly the holes/ports you are talking about but was afraid of messing something up. Had bought a pilot bearing puller to remove bearing from the front (thinking that was the safest route) but will use the holes now that I know. Appreciate the help.

4. Samy

Samy Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2005
    How far did you disassembled the flywheel till now? Do you got rid of the steel surface where the clutch is mounted to? Then you just have to push out the cover aluminium plate through the holes on the back side. That was how it worked on the 348 flywheel 355 should be similar. I dont had to use much force or a puller it just worked with a hammer and splint driver.

But that shows again that the propeller shaft is very sensible to a bad working flywheel. I got my propeller shaft sheered on the same position with the use of a solid flywheel. Now with the stock flywheel it runs smooth again.

5. 355 P4

355 P4 Karting

Oct 13, 2020
    So. California
    Full Name:
    Bill Krueger
    Hi, I have just run through the same thing with a broken "propeller" shaft. I did take my flywheel assembly apart because I wanted to check the disk condition. The thing that hold this assembly together is the gold cad plated flanged nut at the VERY back of the "pumpin". This has a set screw through it's center and mine was a real ***** to get loose (even using a machine shop to help me). We broke an allen socket off trying to brae the set screw loose and finally drilled it out. The big component (has 4 cutouts on its outer diameter) was equally as hard even after the set crews was eliminated. Looks like it was loctited and that's what made it so difficult. Don't know if Ferrari did it that way or someone else (I don't know the origin of my engine except that it came from Europe Via Texas and I am in Calif.). I need to know what it takes to pull the old shaft out and install the new one if anyone can help. You say that you removed the gearbox but I don't think that that is necessary.
    Thanks
    Bill