348 Serie Speciale #55 Finds a New Home | FerrariChat

348 Serie Speciale #55 Finds a New Home

Discussion in '348/355' started by modena2904, Sep 9, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. modena2904

modena2904 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 6, 2007
    Ellicott City, MD
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #1 modena2904, Sep 9, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    As you know from yesterday’s quick update, I finally joined the brotherhood. Woo hoo!!

On Friday, I purchased a 1993 348TS Serie Speciale #55 from fellow F-chatter davey_jones. Yesterday, I road-tripped it home from Indianapolis to Maryland.

Since I started searching for a 348, I’d mainly been looking at spiders. But after my failed purchase of a local 348 spider, I had a change of heart. For a similar purchase price, I figured I could have an OK spider, or I could have a really exceptional TB or TS. I realized that what I really wanted was an exceptional car, not an OK one, and since I still wanted open-air motoring, I started looking in earnest for a TS.

A great looking TS came up on eBay, and it was in OH, easy driving distance for me. Unfortunately, I didn’t see the ad when it was first listed, and by the time I called, it was already sold. It was at that point that I crossed over from “looking” to truly “ready to buy”. I realized that the exceptional cars were going to go quickly, and if I found one that I liked, I’d better jump on it.

So the next call I made was to Dave. After discussing the car on the phone, I offered to buy it, and after a brief negotiation, we agreed on the price. We signed a bill of sale by fax, and I sent him a deposit check that evening.

The car has been well-cared-for. After meeting Dave, I came to understand how enthusiastic he was about the car, and how he looked after every detail. It was a real pleasure buying a car from another F-chatter – if at all possible, I highly recommend that route – you will know that you are getting a car that has been looked after in the same way that you intend to take care of it.

Now some specifics. I really like the Serie Speciale because I wanted something that would stand out a little bit from the crowd. This car also has a number of upgrades that I really like – 360 wheels, Hyperflow cats, Tubi exhaust, Hill pedals and shift knob, Momo racing wheel, Challenge tow hook, carbon fiber sills, and a carbon fiber front spoiler lip with skid plates. It also has a complete tool kit and the Ferrari indoor cover.

A word about the exhaust – Dave had been driving the car with a Challenge race exhaust (the one that is essentially a straight pipe with no expansion chamber). I didn’t hear this exhaust in person, but I knew it would be too loud for me. Dave had a Tubi that he hadn’t used, so he put it on the car for me. I know that some of the members here are partial to the X-Ost or the Capristo, but all I can say is that the 348 with Hyperflows and the Tubi sounds like heaven to me. I have heard the stock exhaust setup, and in comparison it really is night-and-day. As many have pointed out, the modified exhaust transforms the car. I am now a true believer.

These photos were all taken at Dave’s place in Indy. After I got the car home, I took it to Competizione and Sports Cars, my local independent. Richard and Fernando at Competizione both used to be at Ferrari of Washington, and they have a beautiful shop in Gaithersburg, MD. (It’s the same shop where Eric B. is having his major service done and getting his valves reworked.) They are going to get the Maryland Safety Inspection done (needed before I can register the car), and they’re also going to fit the exhaust heat shields for me. (Dave had left them off, but after feeling the temperature of the taillights during the road trip, I’d rather be safe than sorry). The car should be ready to pick up again later this week – I can’t wait.

- Eric
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. modena2904

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 6, 2007
    Ellicott City, MD
    Full Name:
    Eric
  3. modena2904

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 6, 2007
    Ellicott City, MD
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #3 modena2904, Sep 9, 2007
  4. modena2904

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 6, 2007
    Ellicott City, MD
    Full Name:
    Eric
  5. potxoli

potxoli Formula 3

Mar 22, 2007
    Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Eric B.
    That's just gorgeous! Can you post more pics of the fire extinquisher mount?

I have got to get one of those challenge tow hooks somewhere....

6. modena2904

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 6, 2007
    Ellicott City, MD
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #6 modena2904, Sep 9, 2007
  7. modena2904

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 6, 2007
    Ellicott City, MD
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #7 modena2904, Sep 9, 2007
  8. modena2904

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 6, 2007
    Ellicott City, MD
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #8 modena2904, Sep 9, 2007
    Here are some pics from the road trip. I did 600 miles in exactly 8 hours, with just two brief stops. I mostly went with the flow of traffic, but I will confess to letting her breathe a couple of times – phenomenal. Just think, I’ve already put more miles on this car than some owners do in a year!

I’ll have to get used to the reactions of other drivers to the Ferrari. I mostly got waves and thumbs-ups. The only negative reaction I got was one car with four college-age guys in it – they came up behind me they all gave me the finger simultaneously, LOL.

Another time, a plain white Crown Vic came up behind me at high-speed – I thought for sure I was getting pulled over. Turned out to be two high-school age guys in the car, and they just wanted to catch up to get a better look.

One young couple in a Mitsu Evo kept pace with me for quite a while, with the GF taking photos out the passenger window. I slowed down a little, then dropped a gear so that I could give them a little Italian symphony. They definitely appreciated that.

9. modena2904

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 6, 2007
    Ellicott City, MD
    Full Name:
    Eric

I'll take some pics of the extinguisher mount once I pick up the car from Richard and Fernando. Of course, I'm sure you'll be seeing it in person sometime soon.

I believe Daniel at Ricambi can hook you up with the tow hook. (No pun intended)

- Eric

10. speedracer1610

speedracer1610 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2006
    nor cal
    Full Name:
    Craig D
  11. BeachBum

BeachBum Formula 3

The TS is a great chioce. The best of both worlds. Your going to love the car. Welcome to our addiction.

12. SGM

SGM F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2006
    Rockville, MD
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Eric, The car looks great!!! I hope you keep the tow hook on...I really like the look it gives to the car.

13. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    Drive it like ya stole it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. GarnetRedCoupe

GarnetRedCoupe Formula Junior

Mar 21, 2004
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #14 GarnetRedCoupe, Sep 9, 2007
  15. MDshore348

MDshore348 Formula 3

Dec 24, 2004
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Darron
    looks like time to put the stripes back on...

16. Davidt

Davidt Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Dave T.
    Congrats!!!!! :D
    We now have number 54 and 55 on F-Chat. ;)
    We should start a list.

17. Nicksta

Nicksta Formula Junior

Sep 16, 2006
    DC Ranch & NY, NY
    Full Name:
    Nick Ingle
    Looks like a fun drive - thanks for posting!

18. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    From 078/100 to 055/100 - WELCOME to the BROTHERHOOD, Dude!!!

Vince

19. SHEMM

SHEMM Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    ILIO
    Congrats!

I bought #17 on Sept 1, 2007 and have been learning a ton on this site.

NoDoubt has everything you need to know about the 348 if you're like me and don't know much about the model.

Have fun........shiny side up!

20. bushwhacker

bushwhacker In Memoriam

May 25, 2006
    Phoenix Az.
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Excellent, welcome to the 'Brotherhood'.

21. Meeyatch1

Meeyatch1 Formula 3

Dec 28, 2003
    Low flying jet.
    Full Name:
    Mitch
    Congrats! Although I must say I am a bit saddened, as I have been seeing that car quite regularly over the last few months driving around the Fishers/Geist area, and it always brings a smile to my face. Sad to see it go, glad it is in an enthusiasts hands. Enjoy it, and keep driving that puppy! How many miles are on it now anyway?

22. modena2904

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 6, 2007
    Ellicott City, MD
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Dave, I searched the Fchat member list and it looks like there are about 20 or so Serie Speciale owners on the board. Is there a registry that already exists somewhere? Maybe it's time to start one. I know there's one for the Challenge cars.

- Eric

23. modena2904

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 6, 2007
    Ellicott City, MD
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Thanks for the "welcomes" -- it feels good to be in the 'Hood. Now isn't somebody supposed to post the "Band of Brothers" pic on this thread to make it official? (That's a hint...)

- Eric

24. modena2904

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 6, 2007
    Ellicott City, MD
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Congrats on your new SS purchase. I've been studying the history on this site for a while -- you are right, tons of great info here.

25. modena2904

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 6, 2007
    Ellicott City, MD
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I'm sure when Dave, the previous owner, had the Challenge race exhaust on there, you could hear it long before you could see it.

But yes, rest assured, it is in good hands. It's now got just under 43,000 miles, and I plan to put on many more.

- Eric