348 Crank Sensors | Page 2 | FerrariChat

348 Crank Sensors

Discussion in '348/355' started by 3forty8, Jan 17, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Cheers mate, I will check it out again then. :):)

2. gidge348

gidge348 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2008
    Perth West Australia
    Full Name:
    Ian Wood
    #27 gidge348, Feb 5, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thought I would post this here to save filling up the 348 parts sourcing interchange link http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50339

Have put multi meter across 2 new Kia OK2A618891 and got 905 & 922 ohms..... original Bosch type 569 ohms so all are within parameters sugested by randyleepublic.

Mine were working well......, then I decided to check them..... and as you can see the plugs have gone to s**t

By the look of other posts, the problems do not seem to be the sensors themselves, just the plugs.

I have tried to locate replacement plugs, can get 3 pin female no problems but not 3 pin male.

Has anyone been able track them down?

Like wise I do not think the additional resistance should be a problem, too little resistance I could see may be a cause for wierd error codes and problems but by the same token the last thing I would want to see is the "magic smoke" escape from the ecu's so if I can locate decent plugs I might just replace them and go on with it......
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. troy_wood

troy_wood Formula 3

Apr 28, 2007
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Full Name:
    Troy Wood
    #28 troy_wood, Feb 5, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
    This is the best I can find so far, but the body of the plug is different. They seem to be called 'minitimer' plugs:

http://www.gwrmotorsport.com/3wayminitimer_ec1530.html

4. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

Very interesting mate!! :):)

I will ask the Auto-elecs at work tonite. Ill see if they know where to source them from. :):)

5. gidge348

gidge348 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2008
    Perth West Australia
    Full Name:
    Ian Wood
    Someone else's take on CAS resistance: http://autorepair.about.com/library/a/1i/bl819i.htm

I am also not an expert on these things, but...

Would be interesing to see an oscilloscope trace for the Bosch & Kia to confirm that the reference signal voltage was the same?

I guess.... that if the increased resistance was due to aditional windings it could generate a higher reference voltage and then there "could" be a problem long term.....???

Not sure....??? Please feel free to cut me down in flames.....????

6. fxdwgs

fxdwgs Formula 3

Aug 22, 2006
    Sjobo, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Bengt

Do not know if anyone remember, but I had an issue the summer before last when one of these sensors seized to work. The engine worked only on one bank and the reason was that since the sensor stopped working the fuel pump for that bank went on strike.

Nothing I could have worked out myself, but one of the mechs who used to work at the local F-dealer found out.

Monday I will buy a couple of those sensors just to have them.

//B//

7. fxdwgs

fxdwgs Formula 3

Aug 22, 2006
    Sjobo, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Bengt
    No orders accepted outside the US.

Just tried and it does not work.

You better call that friend of yours PAP.

Unless, of course someone in the US who reads this can help us out.

//B//

8. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    I am sure someone here can help us out mate! :):)

But I can also help others out from here. So if you want some Ben, let me know mate and I will order you some. :):)

Only takes around 4 weeks out of Japan apparently. :D:D

But I am sure another Kia dealer somewhere in Aus would keep them on the shelf. :):)

9. gidge348

gidge348 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2008
    Perth West Australia
    Full Name:
    Ian Wood
    Have tracked someone down that has replacement (male) plugs for the crank angle sensors and the the cam sensors.

Have ordered in a few and will post pics and details when they arrive (possibly tuesday).

Come as a kit, plug, terminals and rubber boot cost aprox $18.00 (au) plus postage ordered as one off's (cheaper for bulk).

I orderd my Kia CAS's from a local dealer who said there were none in Australia and all had to be ordered ex Korea.

They said 3-4 weeks delivery but actually turned up in 10 days.

10. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Cool mate, I forgot to ask the Auto-elecs at work the other night. :D:D

Yeah, the same crap I heard. :D:D

11. 3forty8

3forty8 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 25, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I'd be happy to help - PM me.

The resistance is slightly different on the KIA sensors than the Bosch units, and as I mentioned in the original write-up I am trying this out as I saw a reference that they could be interchanged, but was unaware of anyone actually trying it. I am going on four months now without apparent issues (about 900 miles with these sensors), but if people do have concerns about the difference in resistance they should stick with the Bosch sensors until I have more miles on mine.

12. troy_wood

troy_wood Formula 3

Apr 28, 2007
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Full Name:
    Troy Wood
    Great news on the male connectors.... I have my KIA sensors installed and will be keeping an eye on any possible issues as well.

13. fxdwgs

fxdwgs Formula 3

Aug 22, 2006
    Sjobo, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Bengt
    It looks like I can get hold of them here as well........35 USD each incl taxes.

Have to wait and see though.

//B//

14. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Too easy mate!! :):)

If you have no luck, one of the Brothers will be able to help you out Ben! ;);)

15. gidge348

gidge348 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2008
    Perth West Australia
    Full Name:
    Ian Wood
    #40 gidge348, Feb 13, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    As posted before the plugs on my crank angle sensors and cam sensor have gone to s**t so have got replacement 3 pin male connectors and changed the plugs on all of them.

The replacements plug up no problem to the Ferrari harness, but the only slight difficulty is that the OEM plugs are a moulded on plug without a rubber grommet so the clamp plate is not a great fit on the replacement plugs. Since the photos were taken I have put a cable tie on the clamp and it looks ok.

The rubber grommet is a bit tight on the crank angle sensor wire but a bit of Inox makes it slide on ok, I have put a cable tie on the cable end but it probably is not necessary.

The factory terminals do fit the new plug but are a bit loose on the clips so I recommend using the correct terminals.

The plugs have numbers AMP 1-962 581-1 BMW 1732584 so I assume these are cross's for AMP & BMW so you may be able to track them down from there?

I got mine from Connect Source here in West Australia
    Email: [email protected]
    Item no
    2-963745-1 Timer Male L/p Terminals $0.50ea
    BT402 3 way junior timer boot $4.50ea
    1-96258-1 3W HSG $3.78ea

Each plug, boot & 3 terminals are AU$9.78 + gst (10%) + postage

I still think the Kia sensor should be ok, but if your problem is just the plug this may be another option.

16. mags355

mags355 Karting

Oct 29, 2007
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maged
    Hi guys,
    We should set up a post and list all the interchangable parts we can use from
    other cars. Im sure down the track we will be saving a heap of $$$s maintaining
    our cars.

17. FandLcars

FandLcars F1 Rookie

Aug 6, 2006
    Tempe, Az
    Full Name:
    Rick Schumm
  18. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Nice work mate, you did well!! :):)

19. randyleepublic

randyleepublic Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2007
    Beautiful Reno
    Ian, that article may be true in some context, but it has nothing to do with our Bosch sensors. I am not an electrical engineer, but the basic concept is that the sensor has a magnet and a coil of wire. The presence and then absence (gaps and teeth on the crank wheel) of ferrous metal through the magnet's field causes tiny currents in the wire coil. The ECU is wired to amplify and logically interpret those currents. That's the correct gist of it, however my explanation does nothing to illuminate how the amplification circuitry works, so says nothing about the circuitry's reaction to differing resistances through the sensor. Sorry, that's all I know.

20. Marco Bussadori

Marco Bussadori Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2007
    London
    Full Name:
    Marco Bussadori
    Bought and fitted two FACET part no 90140 crank sensors to replace bosch 0 261 210 029. Equivalent with FIAT part 7616269 and KIA part 0K2A6-18-891. Cost £31 each in London at German&Swedish.

Marco

21. randyleepublic

randyleepublic Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2007
    Beautiful Reno
    Did you notice any improvement?

I don't know whether it was the crank sensors, O2 senors, phase sensor, or a combination with them and a lot of DeOxit and new FI relays, but my car starting running much, much better. I give most of the credit to the new crank sensors as they were throwing the most errors, although the phase sensor was right behind.

22. fxdwgs

fxdwgs Formula 3

Aug 22, 2006
    Sjobo, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Bengt
    That is exactly what I have to do.

Ordered, but not paid for....due to the fact they did not arrive yet.

One question though........can I change just one to the KIA version or do I have to change both at the same time???

What about the "computerbox" when it reads two different values from the sensors?

Rgds,
    //B//

23. troy_wood

troy_wood Formula 3

Apr 28, 2007
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Full Name:
    Troy Wood
    I only needed one also - because of the low cost I replaced both.

24. fxdwgs

fxdwgs Formula 3

Aug 22, 2006
    Sjobo, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Bengt
    Ok......I´ll do the same.

//B//

25. Marco Bussadori

Marco Bussadori Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2007
    London
    Full Name:
    Marco Bussadori
    I did O2 sensors, Cranks Sensors (both) and phase sensor. I cleaned the MAF, air filter, regapped the spark plugs, measured the resistance of the ignition cables and coupled them up as closely as possible (348 is a wasted spark engine, with the cylinder at top dead center for the compression and exhaust cycles receiving the spark, wired 1-3 and 2-4 at the coil. As electricity takes the path of least resistance, I paired the opposing cables so they have the closest resistance), balanced the vacuum on both banks, checked the fuel pressure (both bang on the same), cleaned throttle bypasses and set the idle and throttle opening synchronization.

The result is a SUPER smooth engine, I mean smooth where before it had a slight imbalance between idle and 2500 RPM. It pulls harder, and the CAT temps are within 3 deg. C of each other.

I guess this made a difference.