348 Crank Sensors | FerrariChat

348 Crank Sensors

Discussion in '348/355' started by 3forty8, Jan 17, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 3forty8

3forty8 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 25, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #1 3forty8, Jan 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    No Doubt's 348 reference lists a KIA crank sensor as interchangeable with our Bosch units. The last time I changed my oil, I checked my sensors and although still functional cracks were starting to form on the connector plugs. I don't recall anyone posting up if they had tried it, so here it is.

The KIA part number is OK2A6 18891. They cost around $30 + tax from the dealer, and around $20 online. The Ferrari (or Volvo cross reference) for the Bosch unit is about $280/each. I've been running them for a couple of months without issue, and other than the wire loom to the sensor being about 4mm longer in length on the KIA units dimensions are identical. So save yourself $500 bucks next time you need to replace them.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. troy_wood

troy_wood Formula 3

Apr 28, 2007
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Full Name:
    Troy Wood
    #2 troy_wood, Jan 17, 2009
    This is great info Eric. I am just finishing up my major and have been wondering what to do about the hairline crack in one of mine. Question - where the wire lengths are different do you think I should replace both(even though one of mine is still good)? Could un-equal wire lengths pose any problems?

Also, my Hall phase sensor (camshaft sensor) plug is toast as well - any alternate parts availible for this that you know of...?

Thanks for this info...

3. 3forty8

3forty8 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 25, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Eric
    For the price of the KIA crank sensors, might as well replace them both while you are buttoning her back up. If you replace just the one, the difference in wire length is irrelevent. Ironically, I found the extra few mm of length made the fitment a little better on my car.

I'm not sure on the phase sensor - check out No Doubt's post in the parts interchange thread:
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showpost.php?p=136123722&postcount=54

Hope that helps!

4. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

You're a legend mate. You just reminded me, mine are ****ed! :D:D

The plugs is like yours, but A LOT worse. Was going to change them out 2 years ago when after I noticed they were stuffed, but totally forgot about it. :):)

I have a mate that is the Parts Manager at the Toyota dealership here. They also sell and deal with KIA cars and parts. I will call him tomorrow and get him to order me two for my 348. I will fit them when its time to do the major. :):)

Thanks again Eric/No doubt! ;);)

5. saw1998

saw1998 F1 Veteran

Jun 8, 2008
    San Antonio, Texas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #5 saw1998, Jan 17, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2009
    Do the 348 and F355 (2.7 and 5.2) share the same P/N (162916) for the crank sensor? Is this what Ferrari calls the "angular speed sensor"?

EDIT: I think I just answered my own questions: No and Yes.

6. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Good job Eric! I predict the 348 will be worth more than 355's in a couple years. By the time all the 355 motors have blown up people will prefer the 348 since the Fchat 348 braintrust has left no stone unturned. The 348 is getting cheaper and cheaper to run all the time. We got $199 rebuilt water pumps, $30 crank sensors, $100 brakes all four wheels, $50 timing belt, a pre-emptive gearbox solution with el cheapo reiner bearings, and NoDoubt to reprogram the ECU's...It does not get a whole lot better than this in ferrariworld. There is a 355 spider for sale at a dealer with 38K miles for $47k. It has been there for at least 2 weeks with no buyers.

Cantering1 likes this.
  7. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

+1! :eek::eek:

8. enginefxr

enginefxr Formula 3

Aug 20, 2007
    S&R Exotics
    Full Name:
    Gary Sharpe
    Come on FBB, if it's up to me, no 355's are gonna blow up!!! I'm gonna make them last forever!!!

9. enginefxr

enginefxr Formula 3

Aug 20, 2007
    S&R Exotics
    Full Name:
    Gary Sharpe
    #9 enginefxr, Jan 17, 2009
    In fact, I'm thinking about ordering a bunch of these boxes to store all the old engine parts in once I've rebuilt the engines. (Valves/guides/pistons/cyl. liners, etc.)
    We can probably even get a big version to put the headers in!

10. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

Lol!! Sounds good to me man! :D:D

11. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    You better clone yourself and stop posting on fchat and start working. You got a lot of 355's to work on.

12. 3forty8

3forty8 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 25, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Eric
    You are the freaking legend with 4.174 billion posts and counting - and I still owe you a hangover for the bottle of Bundy you gave me! :) When are you coming back for a visit?

I don't think so - looks like this particular sensor was used on the 348, Mondial T, 512TR and 512M. If you can post up a pic of your 355 sensor (sensor end and plug end) I may be able to determine from that.

Carl, thanks again for the invite the other week. I learned heaps observing Brian's brake job and asking you, Bruce and Vince a ton of questions. I hope we can do it again sometime soon. Your 550 looks fantastic - and I hope you pick up another 348 to keep it company. :D

13. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Hehe! :eek::eek:

Perhaps later this year mate, we will have to see what happens. ;);)

14. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    That is OUTSTANDING news Rick!

Long live the 348 Brotherhood!

15. Lars_vet

Lars_vet Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2007
    On the open road
    Full Name:
    Lars
    This is so cool! The 348 ownership again got more interesting and fun!

16. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    You have been around too much of that Happy Gas....

17. gidge348

gidge348 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2008
    Perth West Australia
    Full Name:
    Ian Wood
    #17 gidge348, Jan 18, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2009
  18. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Happy gas for the 550 until it becomes a race car. In fact I need to figure out how to turn the suspension light on the dash out so I can run a fully adjustable suspension. I also need stickier tires. My 550 likes to burn rubber.

Anyway what I said tongue in cheek may be already starting to happen:

1997 Ferrari 355 Spyder **~~Black on Black~~** - $54988 (Monterey Bay)

http://www.rluxurycars.com/1995-Ferrari-355-400 1995 Ferrari 355 Spider - $46995 (Beverly Hills CA) 38k miles!

Ferrari 348 TS Targa Top Yellow *18K LOW MILES* - $47500 (Los Angeles

1994 Ferrari 348 Spyder - $59995 (Irvine Orange County) 27kmiles

The 348 used to cost 1/2 the cost of the 355 on the used market just a couple years ago. Today the asking prices are at parity. What will a worsening economy bring when guys can't afford a proper engine rebuild? I fear we will start seeing replacement of guides on a single cylinder and valves from china. Worse yet we may see "rebuilt for resale"... old guides knurled with old valves and new seals. The most costly issue in the 348 is the gearbox and before they go south they warn you with nice throwout bearing type noises that even an amateur can hear. I believe the 355 starts eating itself with very little signs or symptoms detectable by the average joe.

In fact that would make a nice thread. What are the early signs and symptoms? I guess we still don't know what really happens and there seems to still be more questions than answers. Bypass valve? reversion? guide metalurgy? timing? headers? mixture control? I do not even know if Ferrari oem steel guides and aftermarket headers cure the problem forever. I have not watched the issue too closely and I have read so much on the issue that frankly I am confused. But all that said 355's are starting to look very attractive to me pricewise.

19. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Don't do it chubba.

20. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    I love a story with a happy ending. Great post, Eric! Now people can take someone's word for the interchangability (besides mine!).

21. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    This is why 348s rule! It's the Brotherhood!

22. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    I called my friend today. He rang the parts man at Kia Australia and he told him that have NEVER ordered any into the Country because they have never needed them. :):)

He can get me some, but they are a 4 week wait out of Japan. Cost is AU $37 each. I was going to get him to order them for me, as I am in no hurry. But if I can get some online quicker, that will be good. Does anyone have a link online where to get them? :):)

If not, I will call him up and order them. No hurry, I probably wont do my major till later this year anyways, 6 years. ;);)

23. 3forty8

3forty8 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 25, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Hey Pap, kiaparts.com has them listed for $23.12 USD each. I picked mine up from the local dealer, I did not use this online source. In the part number (0K2A618891) the first digit is a zero, not a letter.

24. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Thanks mate, but that bloody link opens up but it wont let me do anything. :p:p

I will just order it from my parts man here. Only going to take a month, all good. :D:D

Thanks again Eric!! ;);)

25. dc348

dc348 Formula Junior

May 27, 2006
    Luckily back in HK
    Full Name:
    DC
    Yes Pap, the site was jammed for a while. Found the part # on the first visit then it couldn't find the part # anymore. Search with vehicle, found the part but without part #. Very strange!