348 belt change engine clearance | FerrariChat

348 belt change engine clearance

Discussion in '348/355' started by alexjack, Mar 13, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. alexjack

alexjack Karting

Jun 29, 2013
    New England
    Full Name:
    Don
    I'm going to get started shortly on my belt change on the 348. I've had my eye on the Quickjack BL-5000SLX lift, which is the moveable hydraulic scissor lift that will raise a vehicle around 21 inches off the ground. Will that give me the clearance to raise the car, drop the rear subframe, engine and tranny and slide it all out? If it's not I'll need to look into replacement or repair of my aging two post lift. Thanks for your insight. Don

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Probably not. If you removed the bumper, then it may be possible. You could always cheat a bit by placing some wood planks between then car and the jacks.

3. vjlax18

vjlax18 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 12, 2014
    Nottingham, MD
    Full Name:
    John
    21 inches isn't enough. There was no way I would have been able to get my engine out under my MaxJax at the middle setting.

4. amorepresto

amorepresto Karting

Jul 14, 2004
    NE Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave
    When I owner a 91ts I did an engine removal.
    My hydraulic scissor lift, has a total lift of something like 54".

5. dahveedem

dahveedem Formula 3

Mar 12, 2012
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    David
    The one thing I've find with stone of the scissor lifts is the framing members or braces are in the way of dropping the subframe.

Mobilized reply by Dahveedem

6. cf355

cf355 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    chris
    #6 cf355, Mar 13, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
    I'm currently doing my third engine out and it so happens my motor is sitting on the ground as we speak.

While my car is a 355 it should be some what similar to the 348 engine heights.

My motor is sitting on a dolly which raises it 11 inches from the ground and the overall height with dolly is 37 inches.....so factor around 26 inches just for the motor height alone.
    Of course your motor will need to sit on some kind of dolly so in answer to your question.....a jack with 21 inches will not raise the body enough to clear the motor.

7. ATLdoghouse

ATLdoghouse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2016
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Cody L
  8. dahveedem

dahveedem Formula 3

Mar 12, 2012
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    David
    I actually have that lift and am selling it bc the house I bought it won't work with the remodel. Someone else suggested the BendPak LR-60P.... anyone seen that one in action? It's around the $ 1600 tag

9. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
  10. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #10 Manda racing, Mar 14, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I just got this one, the placement in the down/flat position with it scissored out seems to dictate whether I can get the engine stands in an unobstructed spot.

Sure was great removing a rear tire at waist level yesterday.

(This does not seem to be a replacement for (Quickjacks) I'm still in the market for a set and I'll probably try 12v unless I find a great deal and I'll buy the lightest size. 3500)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. itsablurr

itsablurr Formula 3

Dec 9, 2005
    Carlisle, MA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Don,

It depends on the height of the cart that will be receiving the engine cradle, and if you're getting into the area behind the front timing drive cover, a little extra height makes things easier for access in dropping the oil pan, cradle cross-brace, etc. With a 21" lift, I'm sure that you could configure your cart and an incremented lifting approach to get it to work. The body only needs to be lifted to clear the engine cradle out through the rear of the car with a removed bumper. IMO however, I'd put my $ into getting your 2-post operational. The additional clearance and free working area underneath with a 2-post just makes the job a bit easier. Do those scissor lifts elevate the car at a slightly angled trajectory? If so, that may make the remove/install process of the cradle assembly a bit trickier than a 2-post going straight up and down. Also, if you're needing a cart, my adjustable wood-framed one is available as seen in my own engine-out thread.

12. dahveedem

dahveedem Formula 3

Mar 12, 2012
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    David
    how high does that lift raise it? what particular lift is it?

How does/do the wheels on the lift line up under the car and subframe?

13. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #13 Manda racing, Mar 14, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
    Revolution 6000 lb, measures 48" at front bumper airdam lip and came with a set of unused extensions. I had to get extra ramps for clearance.

Almost vertical I didn't measure yet. It's 84" sprawled flat; with the lift arms extended and at factory lift points it appears I can position lift cross arms out of the way from under engine sub frame.

I'll go by and put broom next to center cap and check out vertical line later.

Travel equals 1"forward movement going up and 1" aft movement to down position. (Back to original spot) I aligned a couple music stands on center of two wheel caps. Fwiw

14. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #14 Manda racing, Mar 14, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Picture of first lift attempt-- looks like room to position jack and car father forward initially.

This is heavy duty not to be confused with Quick Jacks IMHO.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. dahveedem

dahveedem Formula 3

Mar 12, 2012
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    David
    #15 dahveedem, Mar 14, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
    Interesting!

Though it looks like the very front of the sub frame isn't going to clear that cross member. Granted I'm looking from my mobile.

That was the issue with my friend's scissor (can't recall the brand right now) --- the cross member of the lift wouldn't allow the sub frame enough clearance to come out.

16. lanab

lanab Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2016
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I am considering the QuickJack for engine out as well but according to the F355 engine removal procedure document it says that you need at least 20 inch height to remove the engine, but some in this thread says it's too low?

Of course you need to remove the bumper.....

The quickjack can raise 21 inch, can anyone verify if it will work who did it?

17. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Bendpak LR-60 goes to 26" btw.
    Quickjack at 21" will not be enough. Now you can put in blocks, or raise the car on blocks under wheels first and put blocks under the jack and make it work if your creative I am certain. Out of the box the lift height alone will not work but I'm sure someone can make it work but it will require additional steps.

lanab likes this.
  18. lanab

lanab Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2016
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Is there any other alternative lightweight solution like Quickjack that will go higher?

19. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Not sure if you saw the first line. "Bendpak LR-60 goes to 26" btw."

No one I know has done engine out with a low rise lift but I suspect it can be done with the LR-60.

20. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    You need at least a mid-rise lift

21. lanab

lanab Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2016
    Stockholm, Sweden
    It's not lightweight...

22. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Compared to what? It is light compared to 2 post lift or 4 post lift. Is it about as light as a dog food bag... well no but that does not mean its not light weight what ever light weight means.

23. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
  24. ATLdoghouse

ATLdoghouse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2016
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Cody L
    My post was from 2017, way before that happened ;)

steved033 likes this.
  25. lanab

lanab Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2016
    Stockholm, Sweden
    As i said quickjack is lightweight and that what i was referring to..not something that is 4 times the weight of quickjack