308GTS bare metal respray | FerrariChat

308GTS bare metal respray

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by DKHudson, Mar 5, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DKHudson

DKHudson Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Durham, UK
    Full Name:
    David Hudson
    #1 DKHudson, Mar 5, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Well something had to be done about the rust blips, paint crackle and other blemishes. So after seeing another 308 (and 355...) being restored and the glowing comments, I have trusted my 308 to AlsaAutomotive...

So here the respray story begins. I have bought some nice chrome covered bits and last Friday I took the car down to Wales. This week work has commenced and as you can see there are already many parts stripped off. It is really rather scary to see the car like that! Unlike me, I hope Alun doesn't have any bits left over when he re-assembles it.

Here are the first pictures and I'll keep you in touch with this as it progresses. I wonder if we'll find any of the original blue paintwork under there, as the layers come off?

David

(currently kind of without a Ferrari 308GTS...)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. roalda

roalda Formula Junior

Oct 2, 2007
    Wiltshire England
    Full Name:
    Roy
    your baby is in good hands with al, keep us up-to-date.

3. DKHudson

DKHudson Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Durham, UK
    Full Name:
    David Hudson
    #3 DKHudson, Mar 10, 2009
    More bits removed and Alun reports he's cleaning out the Dinotrol (rust agent) to get the doors ready for repairs...
    There must be a surprising amount of weight in the front GRP spoiler and doors, the car is sitting very high on its suspension.

(I see my car has now got a 3x8 mate to keep it company...)

David

4. DKHudson

DKHudson Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Durham, UK
    Full Name:
    David Hudson
    #4 DKHudson, Mar 15, 2009
  5. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    That place looks familiar David :)

6. DKHudson

DKHudson Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Durham, UK
    Full Name:
    David Hudson
    #6 DKHudson, Mar 17, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2009
    Thank God for that... I have got the right place!

It was your post last year, just when I was seriously thinking about a repaint, that pointed me to AlsaAutomotive. On the back of that post I went down to meet Alun in October to get my car assessed and got a good feeling about the guy. I love people who really know their trade, whatever trade that may be.

The photographic updates are great, but I have another 6 weeks (or so) before I see the results for real.

David

7. treventotto

treventotto Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2008
    Alicante
    Full Name:
    Benjamin
    There's an extensive report on a 328 in another thread as well.

You are so lucky that your car is originally blue, pleeeeease tell me it will get it's original colour back.
    Some day I'm going to have a bare metal respray done as well, unfortunately my 328 is red and originally red (unfortunate is a bad word, very happy with red as well).

8. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    In two weeks time your 308 will get another 308 for company :) I'll be bringing my 308 GTB at the end of this month for a bare metal respray as well. I'll be following this thread with great interest.

Best regards, Peter

9. DKHudson

DKHudson Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Durham, UK
    Full Name:
    David Hudson

I'm going to stay with red, I like seeing the 308 in other colours - particularly yellow for the GTS, but ultimately I chose a red one... so red it shall stay.

Yes I saw the 328 and 355 write ups and that reinforced my interst in AlsaAutomotive. I could have just got a local guy to bang a coat of paint on it and doubtless it would have looked 'okay' for a while. However I wanted somewhere I could trust and somewhere I'd good job done, which means getting rid of the rust problems rather than painting over them.

He's going to have more Ferrari's than a dealer! At least there will be some spare parts to help put mine back together.

David

10. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    :)

11. DKHudson

DKHudson Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Durham, UK
    Full Name:
    David Hudson
    #11 DKHudson, Mar 21, 2009
    I've just had my latest batch of pictures... Alun has now found some lead loading and the previous repairs at the rear of the car, but nothing that can't be sorted.

The car is getting fairly naked now, but no sign of any blue paint as of yet (the paperwork and Ferrari records say that car was originally blue...). Perhaps it was bare metal sprayed at 6 months old, for the colour change, or was the paperwork wrong? Who knows.

David.

12. Arvin Grajau

Arvin Grajau Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
  13. DKHudson

DKHudson Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Durham, UK
    Full Name:
    David Hudson
    #13 DKHudson, Mar 22, 2009
    Does anybody watch Tony Robinson and the hairy gang of professors on 'Time Team'? Well Alun has been doing his own digging and the history of my car is starting to come together. His latest reports says:

If I didn't know better, I'd reckon Alun's been reading my service records folder for the car!!!

The history isn't quite complete, but starts in 1988 when the car had done about 37,000miles. Amongst countless mechanical receipts there are chassis and local body repairs and repainting in 1992... Next in 1999 - when there are a series of local spot repairs were done and 2000 when the black waist line stripe was repainted. (ASIDE: 1990 - 2001 the car was effectively off the road and in a private collection).

There is no record for another bare metal repray, but with no blue paint it has clearly happened, so best guess is pre-1988?

I don't know how Alun can tell all this from paint dust, but it all fits together brilliantly!

David.

14. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    Hi David
    when you say body work in the 90s, was the car pranged and repaired? Was Rosso the original colour?
    That aside have you sent you £10 off to the DVLA for its history? I did for mine and through up some surprising results! Also do you have the original sales bill/order/ etc.. there is a guy who has access to the Ferrari records who might be able to help. I managed to get extracts from the original order and sales ledger for HR Owen.

Great thread looking forward to seeing the end result! (hopefully we'll have some sun this summer and you can enjoy the car).
    Aside, When I had my GT4 sprayed people said it looked too "new" and took a year for the paint to mellow, has Alun a way round this?

KR

Nick

15. DKHudson

DKHudson Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Durham, UK
    Full Name:
    David Hudson

Nick,

Originally (according to HPi) it was blue for new to 6 months old, then red. I registered the car with Ferrari SPA Owners' Club, their database returned my car details against the chassis nr, showing azzuro metallica. So it left their factory in 1981 metallic blue. But the first keeper was a trader, so I assume they bought a blue one and gave it the old RESALE RED treatement. I never did that DVLA check as nobody seemed to know that was possible, when I bought the car 5yrs ago. I suppose I could do it now for completeness...?

No evidence it has ever had anything other than Italian levels of protection and consequnetly a slight dose of tin worm. The records show all the suspension was dropped, blasted, primed, waxoyled, new bushes and put back in 1989. Also the minor chassis tubes at the front (headlight area), battery tray and alloy undertray were all replaced.

Then there was more local repairs to bottom of back wings, bottom of cill... etc.

Now that the paint is off all the repairs show and seemed agree with the service notes.

The car has had so many coats of paint removed it will proably feel quicker when I get it back! It was still looking pretty enough (from a long distance) but was in the slightly lighter red used for the 328's. So I hoping it will be one shade darker when I get it back.

As for looking too new... I'll just have to live with it! Worse things can happen.

The real problem is the leather is going to look very tired when I get it back... And the driver carpet section is a bit hammered... And the white vinyl lining to the targa hoop... And... And... I've never been a car detailer, but those defects might now look too obvious against the gleaming paint and new chrome badges. What have I started?

David

16. Rod

Rod Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    South Derbyshire
    Full Name:
    Rod
    David I love these post's, Al is a great guy & your car is going to look amazing!

Stop by Derby on your way back for a coffee!

17. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T

Sounds great! my gt4 was the same blue until 2000 when it too was sprayed red. Any idea how long till completed? how many previous owners? I got the original sales documents from a Tony Willis of Ferrari, not sure if he is still about.

Nick

18. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    It is (was) a nice blue color, but red is red!

Looking good!!

19. treventotto

treventotto Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2008
    Alicante
    Full Name:
    Benjamin
    Red is red, blue is blue.
    Blue is red, red is blue.
    Some day I going for a bare metal respray as well, and will change the original red to blue metallic. :) Just to counterbalance the resale red a bit.

Looking forward (a bit enviously) to seeing the end result.

20. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Hi David / Nick.
    Tony Willis is still around, he bought all of Ferrari's old archive material from them, and will now sell you for small fee. I got Copy's of all the doc's he has on my car based on the chassis number, it has to be UK supplied.
    For me it confirmed mine was a UK car and came up with around 8 doc's from the early 70's, from the original order for the car, sales invoice to first owner and service records for the first few years.

This was particularly useful as the DVLA did not have complete records for this period as the first two owners kept change the reg. no to there own [PM 2 was the first].

I found the DVLA very slow [ took around 6 months] but was well worth it in the end as I now have a complete history of my car and contacted all the old owners[ that were still alive] and got loads of documents from them that they had kept on the car. It took me around a year to do this but it was well worth it.
    Grant

PS Great thread David,i will watch closely as i am not sure who is going to paint my car yet. The Story of my search for info on my car is in the Spring 2009 edition of FOC mag.

21. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Well, I have a blue one (an early Dino color) already, but my red one is blue underneath.........so I can relate to the dilemma.....

Once restored, at least they'll be DIFFERENT codes of blue.......one light one darker shade...

The yellow one is still yellow, and I have my eye on an early 512Boxer to assume the red mantle....LOL!

22. DKHudson

DKHudson Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Durham, UK
    Full Name:
    David Hudson
    #22 DKHudson, Mar 24, 2009

I'm getting the impression that 1/2 of all Ferrari's have had a colour change at some point!!! Actually I now wonder if my leather has been changed as well, as it has red piping and stripe that might have looked odd with the original blue? Who knows?

I'd like details for Tony Willis if somebody post them or PM them to me. I reckon it would be good to see any early records and maybe fill in the gap 1981 - 1989.

Anyhow Alun finally found traces of blue in the door returns and on the GRP parts. So the myth has been verified.

The earlier repairs have been fully exposed and it looks like Frankenstein's scars where it has been over plated. With confidence Alun tells me that there is "nothing unexpected" and he will sort it out. If he is happy, I am happy.

David

Pictures:

23. DKHudson

DKHudson Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Durham, UK
    Full Name:
    David Hudson
    #23 DKHudson, Mar 24, 2009

Thanks for the invite, I might be in need of a 'stress rest' on the way home!

It will probably rain, every wagon with an insecure load and every tailgating idiot in a Vauxhall Corsa will be attracted towards the nice shiney paint. It will be like a 7hr game of dodgems, can my nerves take it? I'll just want to get it home, dust it gently and take a deep breath.

David

PS: For the observant amongst you the exhaust doesn't need masking, I'll be putting the stainless system back on as soon as it gets home... this one is full of holes.

24. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
  25. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    That's very close to the blue I see 'peeking out' from #20405!
    I have the color code from the Factory, I'll have to spray a few samples...it'll be quite the job as you are doing to see bare metal!

Thankfully, my other two are in fact original color per the Factory, it's a very nice light blue, the old Dino shade..

And as far as the Ferrari yellow goes, I'll quote my watch repairman:
    "Excuse me, Sir....I believe you've left your paint job turned 'on'.........."

Quite the joker, but he got the case opened on my Cartier Ferrari chronograph, it wanted a special tool, as one might expect!! LOL!