308 Gt4 vs. Mondial 3.2 coupe | FerrariChat

308 Gt4 vs. Mondial 3.2 coupe

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Doug, Oct 8, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Doug

Doug Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Anyone have first hand knowledge of back seat space. I have a GT4 but with a second child coming, I am wondering if the Mondial rear seats are larger or the room behind the seats. Currently I can fit 1 car seat behind the passenger in the GT4 with that seat all the way forward. I am 6'1" so I can't fit anyone/thing behind me and drive comfortably. My wife is shorter so she can manage in the pass seat pushed forward. Anyone have first hand experience with both and car seats?
    Also, anyone entertaining the thought of trading a Mondial for a GT4 plus cash difference?

2. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    There is slightly more rear leg room in a Mondial than a GT4. But since the kid will be in a car seat the leg room shouldn't matter, unless you plan for the kids to grow up in the back seat.

Ciao

3. Dino 208gt4

Dino 208gt4 F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2003
    European Union
    Full Name:
    Roel
    Hi Doug,
    I traded my Dino 208gt4 for a Mondial last spring.
    So info out of first hand!!:)

My kids, 3 and 6 years old, have much more space in the Mondial. Don't expect "huge" upgrade but it is better. I have to push the seat a little bit forward when one of them is sitting behind me. I am 181cm tall (dunno in US measures). The Mondial is a great Familycar, much better then the gt4.
    I have to say my gt4 was a 2L so its engine makes much more noice (rpm''s) then a 308. Also the Mondial backseat is much cooler then in the gt4.
    In the Dino the kids needed a clean shirt after a 1 hour ride. :)

4. Doug

Doug Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Doug
    When my daughter is in her car seat, her legs hang down. There is no way she could fit behind me right now. In fact is would probably be easier to fit kids that do not need to be in car seats. Because of the tilt of the front seatbacks, the higher up you sit in the rear seats, the less room there is.
    As much as I love the carbs and the tossability of the GT4, I may have to do a switch.

5. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    My daughter started riding in the Mondial at 3 and now is 12 - it has a lot of room, dang near cavernous in the front. MUCH roomier than other European 'GT's (Porsche, et. al.). We've done family trips at 130 mph on the autobahn, but she was happiest at around 100 - 110. If you have a tubi, don't plan on talking much...

Tossability I have found, at least with the 3.2, was down to tires. I swapped to Pirelli P6000 215 and 225 /55-16s replacing the Gatorbacks and the car could be thrown about with precision, steered with the throttle - incredible balance and controlability. I later went to 17's and wider Michelins, but those comparatively narrow P-6000 sure were fun, safe and had a quiet excellent ride.

6. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    My daughter is two and fits in her car seat behind the passenger seat in our Mondial OK, but there is no way it would be working well if she needed to be behind the driver's seat, and I'm not even tall. The rear space is not bad, but the car seats reduce it a lot.

Birdman

7. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    I have an '88 3.2 Mondial cab - I think there is less back seat room in the cab than the coupe. As it is, my young daughter (in a car seat) can only fit in the back seat with her car seat mounted in the middle of the back seat so the thing protrudes forward somewhat between the two front seats. Fits OK but not ideal. Also, as mentioned elsewhere in the thread, if you have a tubi or stebro or similar, don't expect to do too much in the way of family sing along National Lampoon's Vacation style

8. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    Up until my son was about 15 months old he used to fit in his car seat with my wifes seat all the way forward in the GT4.But now he is 2 and I don't think he will fit with the car seat.The rear seats in the GT4 are sort of like a child seat so I think he will just need the childs 3 point harness.But my car is still in the shop undergoing a complete engine rebuild and its been there for 9 months already and at the way things are going he will be able to drive the thing by the time I get it back!