2020 Portofino - repaint required | FerrariChat

2020 Portofino - repaint required

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by NJPortofino, Jan 26, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NJPortofino

NJPortofino Rookie

Dec 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    D T
    Hey all, I have a 2020 Portofino in Rosso Corsa and due to recurring bubbles on both doors, it’s being sent to be repainted under warranty. I’m happy they are fixing it, but has anyone else dealt with factory paint issues? I’m slightly concerned with such a major factory defect ..... so curious to see what others have experienced, if anything ....

2. drcollie

drcollie Karting

Dec 15, 2013
    That's very unusual. Wonder if there were contaminants left on the metal before it entered Paint? To be sure, this is a major issue for you for diminished value. If it were your garden variety Honda, no big deal. Unless they strip all the paint off, it will increase the thickness of the pain on the door, which is probably around 1.5 to 2.0 mils, and make it double that. If anyone puts a paint depth meter on the car, that's usually indicative of an accident repair and you would get questions about that - so keep it documented. First thing I would want is a bare metal repaint to keep the thickness down. The next issue is paint match, reds and silvers can be difficult. Can they match the paint without having to do the whole car? You won' really know until you get it out in the sun and step back twenty feet from the car.

3. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Seems to be more common on the F12 due to galvanic corrosion on one screen.
    This is first time I can recall hearing of this issue on a Porto or Cali.
    T

4. Mafiaboy1975

Mafiaboy1975 Formula Junior

Aug 10, 2019
    South Africa
    Full Name:
    Mick
    If it’s being done by a proper shop I would not worry. For me at least paint is nothing to worry about if done correctly.

I have had many cars with paint problems repainted. It happens.

A good painter will paint your car better than factory that’s for sure.

I’d try squeezing them to correct all the paint at the shop as a freebie for the inconvenience. Than the car will really pop and look like it should - flawless.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

5. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    This.

It is not uncommon with paint defects. Plenty have repairs and corrections done, and it will not affect value. Nobody will check oaint thickness on your doors when the car is sold, and if they do, there is no accident or damage report on your car.

I will strongly advise that drcollie's advice and recommendations is taken with a huge load of salt. He is not an owner, never has been and has previously proven himself here on FChat to be very untrustworthy.

I have had my cars touched up for a few reasons and never a problem.

Most important thing to note is this. OP, once it is done, get your car fully paint corrected. There is a good chance that the new paint will be a lot better than what is on the rest of the car. So by getting it cut and polished you end up with a proper match. It will look better than what it looks like coming off the line.

Good luck. It will be okay.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

RamsHmb likes this.