2017 Race of Champions in Miami | Page 2 | FerrariChat

2017 Race of Champions in Miami

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by BartonWorkman, Aug 23, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    You say that like it's a bad thing!

Ryan Hunter-Reay lives in Ft. Lauderdale (U.S. H.Q. of DHL)
    Juan Pablo Montoya lives in Miami
    Tony Kanaan lives in Miami
    Filipe Massa has a home in Miami
    Helio Castroneves lives in Miami
    Tom Kristensen Winters in Boca Raton

BHW

2. .....and a partridge in a pear tree..... :D

3. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Perhaps the amount of drivers taking part in the 2017 RoC was part of the decision
    to hold the event in Miami.

But, from most of the names like RHR, Massa, Kristensen, they take part in the event
    no matter where it is held.

As noted earlier, Tom Kristensen started with the event back in 1999 and has done
    every one since (I think) no matter where the venue was.

Miami just seems to be a natural fit for an event of this type. Marlins stadium is
    practically within walking distance from the warehouse and there seems to be a lot
    of enthusiasm leading up to the event with placards being put up all over town.

BHW

4. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    #29 BartonWorkman, Jan 19, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. 'Saw the highlights just now on CBSSN and glad that's how I witnessed. :rolleyes:

Methinks DisneyWorld would be a more appropriate venue for that silly thing. ;)

I liked the cheerleaders tho'.... :p

6. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    This started earlier, in the late 80s. Back then it was a more serious thing, in an outdoors circuit with Group A and B rallye cars.

7. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Correct, Tom Kristensen's first appearance in the RoC was in 1999. He has since done
    15 of them, tied for the most in event history.

He showed well on Saturday, just coming up short against Montoya in the individual
    final. It was mostly about the hole shot, avoiding hitting the kerbs and not sliding too
    much in the turns.

BHW

8. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    Montoya had a nice "F U" to Penske :) shame ol' JPM doesn't have an Indycar ride (full season at least) this year.

how was the crowd? seemed to be decent buzz around the event, at least from the twitter feeds of various mainstream media in Miami (Herald, local TV news etc)

9. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Haven't seen official crowd numbers yet.

Without knowing capacity of the venue, guesstimates I saw for Saturday were 15K to 20K.
    The grandstands down the first base line and out into the right field terraces (where we
    were) were decently full.

Sunday crowds, not as large, perhaps 7K to 10K.

Fun event. Many drivers hoping that they make Miami the permanent home of the ROC.

Full report and pics in the Florida section.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/florida-sponsored-ferrari-tampa-bay/536404-race-champions-%40-marlins-stadium-2.html

BHW

10. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    capacity for a baseball game is ~36k

11. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    That's all?

Hmmmm, looks bigger than that.

BHW

12. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    If capacity for the ballpark is 36,742, I may have to revise my estimate downward a
    bit.

Here I thought the place held 60+K or so.

BHW

13. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007

that's what she said :eek: :D

as a general rule of thumb:

NBA/NHL stadiums hold ~20k
    MLB stadiums hold ~40-50k
    NFL stadiums hold 50-75k
    College Football stadiums hold 70-100k+ :eek:

some old multi-purpose stadiums (MLB and NFL) would hold 60k+ for baseball games, but generally had 10k or more empty seats...

14. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    My measure is the old Tampa Stadium ("The Sombrero") which after they filled in the end
    zones and made a true bowl out of it, held 72,000 for the Rowdies and Buccaneers.

When the new Raymond James stadium was built, capacity was a bit less to about 67,000
    but amenities such as luxury suites and fan friendly stuff was vastly improved.

If I run across any final numbers for this past weekend's ROC event, will post them. We're
    looking for crowd size and best lap times, etc.

BHW

15. With all due respect, You knock NASCAR and praise this crapola? Ponderous.

16. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    This ROC event was good fun, brought together drivers from all over the world
    in different disciplines. Likewise, a crowd came to Miami from all over the world to
    see these drivers compete and have some fun. The ROC brings racing to city
    centers and fans that ordinarily perhaps wouldn't see racing, a good many kids
    in the stands too, how is this a bad thing?

Comparing this to NASCAR, which by comparison is rapidly becoming a running
    joke with their absurd daily rules changes, taking all of the sport out the once was
    is a disgrace to the history of the sport and those who watch it.

Haul yourself out of the basement and come out to some events, then you may
    talk.

BHW

17. "Haul yourself out of the basement and come out to some events, then you may
    talk."

'Hit a raw nerve, eh? 'Woulda thunk you were above that kinda response. Apparently 'mistaken.

18. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    So, you'd expect me to sit home when friends such as Tom Kristensen are taking
    part in an event, more friends flying into Miami from around the world to see the
    event so I may sit and twirl my thumbs to prove some sort of point?

There are very few opportunities to see this many drivers (do I really need to count
    the amount of World Championships, Indy 500 wins, 24 Hours of Le Mans, 12 Hours
    of Sebring wins, NASCAR Championships, et.al.) that were all represented in this event?

I don't see the ROC making proclimations stating their intent to monopolize racing
    around the world a-la NASCAR. I don't see how a two day event featuring a different
    sort of format is any sort of threat to the racing's heritage and history other than just
    a fun event that in no way anything more than fun for the drivers and spectators.

If you don't like it that's fine, then decide to stay away. I seem to recall inviting you
    to attend last year's Miami Beach Concours as my VIP guest and you couldn't be bothered
    to leave Pompano Beach.

But, guess who was there? Emerson Fittipaldi (who personally sampled our Ferrari 365 GTC/4),
    Valentino Balboni, Paolo Pininfarina, Marcus Luttrell, Charlie Watts and a number of other high
    profile local, automotive and entertainment VIPs.

What is good enough for you my friend?

BHW

19. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    IMO the true "race of champions" is next weekend...the Daytona 24. that's the one proper competition that brings the best of sports cars, Indy, NASCAR and even the occasional F1 driver together.

ROC is an interesting one-off event but IMO would be far more compelling if it was on a real racetrack with real racecars, not in a baseball (or soccer, as it was in Europe) stadium with whatever the hell those buggies were. The event should be one oval race, one road course race, and one dirt/rally stage. Homestead would be a great place for that, so it can stay in Miami. Also it should be purpose built for TV, and I'm not aware of any TV or live streaming options available for it.

20. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    YES
    Rolex 24, all serious racers and no Hollywood actors.
    I am so desperate for some live racing at this point, looking forward to this weekend ;)

21. Real racing, that's what's good enuff for me. I love racing; 'not into the celebrite...
    The name dropping is not my forte. I've met my share and enjoyed conversation with many, and not with those that were egotistical/narcissistic. Give me a Nelson Piquet, on camera, pretending to have his finger up his nose by folding it...my kinda guy. PLN not wanting to discuss his celebrity status, just wanting to talk racing.

My question wasn't meant to be about you; just what you thought was so great about your "happening" as opposed to a real racing series. You've answered my question.

All's well. ;)

22. The IROC existed for a while and you're right, it was a pretty good show. (key word "pretty") ;)

(For the uninitiated: The History of IROC Racing - Never Before Seen Photos )

23. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    IROC was great until it became basically an extension of the Cup series.

those IROC Porsche RSRs...giggity... :D