2014 pre-launch thread | FerrariChat

2014 pre-launch thread

Discussion in 'F1' started by Ferraripilot, Dec 15, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    #1 Ferraripilot, Dec 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    2014 tires being tested starting Dec 17.

Christian Horner on RB10:
    I think Adrian would describe it as RB10 being a cousin of RB9

There are elements that are going to carry over and the DNA of RB10 will come out of RB9. Of course, it's a much different engine and exhaust solution, but aerodynamics are still going to play an important role next year.

The engines are the big unknown next year. All the manufacturers are probably struggling with reliability because the units have got to go so much further than the V8s, plus the complicated electronics on the car and a big turbo - it's a completely different form of racing. I think they've come up with the most complicated type of engine you could have dreamt up and it's certainly bloody expensive.

Newey on 2013 /2014 and RB10:

"The biggest problem is the front wing."

" I will try to keep the "rake" even without exhaust blowing"

Ferrari had Fernando in the simulator last week for a solid day. Nothing else is known of course. http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/formel-1/interview-mit-ferrari-technikchef-pat-fry-haben-red-bull-auspuff-probiert-7943954.html

Mercedes I suspect are trying to tailor W05 a bit more to Lewis as well, but I guess the issue was the Merc suspension system did not provide the dive under braking Lewis was used to, the car very much leveled itself which is good and bad, although I suspect trail braking would be odd to digest. Lewis certainly seemed more at ease with it later and he didn't mention any particular discomfort so who knows, maybe it was fixed.

Some fantastic information obtained by 'MercedesAMGfans' and his website explaining the Merc suspension system formerly known as 'Fric', from someone inside Merc:

As we know Mercedes started playing with the idea at the end of 2011, then in 2012 they had full FRIC and wasn't perfected until this year where it still a bit volatile.

this is as he explained it down to the way its laid out and no, no Mercury involved..
    the concept behind the FRIC mainly to aid high speed cornering mechanical grip and to complement the lowspeed cornering with tradition anti-roll bars.. yes they use both methods. the fundamental issue this year was that because its hydraulic fluids that are adjusted, i.e taken out or put in depending on how soft you want the suspension, aren't always of the same "viscosity/pressure" at the time of adjustments, usually done in FP1 and locked for FP2 they can't get it 100% all the time between both cars. simple matter being that one car maybe hotter than the other or vise-versa when making the changes on setup as its only one guy doing it, so by the time he's finished on one car, the "pressure/viscosity" has changed.
    But from what he's told me they're almost got the "balance" correct on that, and when it works, like at silverstone it works brilliantly. they should have it honed over the next few weeks for the w05 he told me.
    the other thing with relation to FRIC and Lewis hamilton's braking ability.. it's not that there is anything wrong with the brakes per-sey, but more over that he's not used to the FRIC system keeping the car pitched up underbraking, where like in his mclaren days you'd see that his car DIVES massively as he wants it which gives him the confidence..
    Also RAKE angle..
    The trick with RAKE is that RB are able to keep a higher Rake angle compared to others yet somehow reduce drag, high rake angles give massive downforce, but at the same time, increase the drag, and Mercedes did indeed take a look at this properly and just don't know how Newey and his Eggheads at RB were able to get away with such high angles.. so much so that when the cars go on the weighbridge for scrutineering, the height of the RB at the back isn't level with the front of the car, so doing the floor plan wear test they have to drop the rear of the car to get the measurement.

Engine/powerunit wise -

Mercedes have indeed been working longer and harder on the new units than anyone else, basically since they were first announced.. the major components have exceeded the reliability tests and in terms of HP its still very much unknown but KERS/ERS is going to be very important, and unlike the current generation of KERS where if it fails, you just lose a bit of laptime, you basically won't be able to finish the race as a good chunk of the overall power will be coming from the KERS/ERS and with the fuel limit to 100KG the car will simply run out of fuel if KERS fails.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    #2 Ferraripilot, Dec 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Redbull have the rake and Mercedes have the FRIC. What have Ferrari got? What is their innovation? Where the hell is Rory and why is he so stuck on living in Thailand and not working.

4. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Thailand
    Not working
    A man with money and no F1 insanity
    Yes I understand completely. This is not rocket science :)

5. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    In Thailand
    Not working
    If true

We're in for another painful season. We need as many genius' as possible to stand a chance against RB+Newey.

6. DF1

I hope the next season is not painful. The uncertainty of powerplant reliability should keep things somewhat even possibly. With something of a clean-slate hopefully James Allen can induce some innovation for the Ferrari.

7. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    De beers and Allison are good.

De beers, Allison & Rory is better!

8. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    The car drawings is seriously ugly.

Question...so just one exhaust outlet?

9. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Just one exhaust area. Right down the center

10. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Ok. thanks for the info.

11. DF1

Jenson Button expects first F1 2014 test will be 'hilarious'
    By Jonathan Noble and Matt Beer Monday, December 16th 2013, 09:12 GMT

Jenson Button expects first F1 2014 test will be 'hilarious' - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com - See video at bottom of link!

Jenson Button believes the drivers' first on-track taste of the 2014 Formula 1 cars will be "hilarious".

The 2009 world champion suspects that the combination of the very different behaviour of the all-new turbocharged V6 engines, inevitable initial unreliability and cold temperatures at Jerez in January will make the first runs a bizarre experience.

"Winter testing is going to be hilarious in Jerez," said Button, who has tried the 2014 McLaren in the team's simulator.

"It will be cold, the tyres aren't going to work, the cars probably won't work either and when you do get a lap it is probably going to feel weird because you are running higher gears - you get into eighth gear before you get to seventh gear now.

"It is a very different way of driving and you have to forget a lot you have learned over the years in terms of the driveability of a racing car, the engine, the power output of a racing car and the way you put the power down.

"It is so, so different."

He said the mixture of increased torque and reduced downforce would be an intriguing challenge.

"No one knows how they will perform until the first race next year," said Button.

"It is going to be tricky because we do have a lot more torque with the engine.

"There will be a lot less downforce as there will be no [exhaust] blowing. I don't care what they say, there is still a massive amount of blowing on an F1 car.

"It is going to be very tough to get to grips with it.

"There is a lot to learn for all of us, even the experienced drivers, and it is exciting.

"You want to be out on circuit at the tricky corners, even Turn 2/3 [at Jerez] will be tough to get the power down.

"You need a throttle pedal that is a metre long to control the torque of the engine.

"Hopefully the experience I have with developing the car and making it how you want it to be will help me for next year."

Although he expects testing to be potentially chaotic, Button has no doubt that the teams will be on top of things in time for the season-opener.

"It is in a bad place right now but by the first race we will all have it sorted," he added.

Testing commences at Jerez on January 28, with the season beginning with the Australian Grand Prix on March 16.

F1 2014: WHAT THE DRIVERS WILL FEEL

In this episode of The Racer's Edge with F1 Racing, leading F1 engineer Tom McCullough and top driver coach Rob Wilson discuss what the 2014 cars will feel like in the cockpit.

12. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Thanks for posting that article. Interesting Jenson notes wanting to have a very long throttle pedal travel. I think this is going to force a lot of F1 drivers to get back to their roots and fundamentals of driving. Aero won't be able to drive the car at a lot of places like it had been for so long. My guess is the really young guys with little F1 experience are going to go well.

13. DF1

Driver skill will be on display! I think you are right. Younger drivers will possibly make a new mark this next season!

14. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    V6 Turbos?? I will most likely be giving up on Formula 1.

15. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Not the first time for V6 turbos, and we all still watch F1.

16. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    The 80s was all turbo, and that IMO was the first golden age which started in the late 70s.

17. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    +1

Simplified. One loves F1 for F1 and all it's up's and down's or their like is based upon specific criteria of which, we as mere mortals, have no influence upon.

18. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Texasmr2 is pretty hardcore there. I may whine a bit more than him haha. I get his meaning though

19. DF1

20. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    I have been reading in other places that Newey is really bothered by these changes. You can tell from his statements he's not liking this.

21. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Not as hardcore as others and no whining on my part it's just my view/perception.

22. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Mercedes signs two Red Bull engineers - GPUpdate.net

Mercedes has confirmed the signing of two engineering appointments ahead of the 2014 season.

In two newly-created roles to further strengthen the team's technical organisation, Mark Ellis will join as Performance Director, while Giles Wood will take up the position of Chief Engineer, Simulation and Development.

Both men switch from reigning World Champions Red Bull, and will complete their moves in June 2014.

23. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    If you can't beat'em, buy'em! Lol

24. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    And as Mclaren's Whitmarsh was quoted, offer them 'telephone number' salaries.

Daimler wants championships

25. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    They're going to need a bigger bus.
    I'm beginning to wonder if all these MB hires aren't just to get talent out of the hands of the competition.
    ;)