2012 Rule Proposal for 348/355 Class | FerrariChat

2012 Rule Proposal for 348/355 Class

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by jakermc, Nov 20, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

How should the FCRA regulate shocks, springs, & aero for 348/355 class?

1. Require stock configuration

2. Allow for modifications but with weight penalty decided by the Board

3. Allow open modification of shocks/springs/aero without a penalty

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. jakermc

jakermc Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 17, 2004
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I thought this might be a good place to solicit feedback from drivers and other interested parties and I apologize for what will be a long post. As we all know 2011 was first and foremost about building the series and improving the car count and I think that goal is still critical in 2012. I also think that is is important to keep the cost of racing under control, especially in the 348/355 class as it is the 'entry level' class in the series.

That said, at some point we will need to address some differences in the cars and level the playing field as best we can. The issue I would like to discuss first is shocks, especially since mine need a rebuild and I don't want to take any action until we have clarification on what will be allowed in 2012 and what will not.

I see three options: 1) Require a stock set-up 2) Allow any shock system but with a weight penalty 3) Allow any shock system with no penalty

Option 1 is a problem for several reasons. First, there are already cars running a non-stock system and it would be bad for the series to disallow those cars. Second, it would be just silly to ask those drivers to spend money to implement a system that is now 15+ years old. Lastly, a result of this system being so old, it is difficult to even have them rebuilt. I am currently aware of only one vendor that has the parts necessary to do it and being a monopoly, it is not a cheap service. Also, what happens if several drivers need a rebuild, can this one shop fix everyone in time for the next race? The benefits of this option is that is it the lowest cost option for someone who already has a stock system and it is also the only option that results in a completely level playing field, i.e. a 'spec' shock.

Option 2 also has several problems. In order to implement a weight penalty you first must set a minimum weight. The problem is most of the cars have already been lightened (and that is legal under the current rules), so where do you set minimum weight? The second problem is that to enforce a minimum weight, you will need to implement tech inspections and have scales available. In a non-profit race series, I'm not sure we have those resources. Lastly, how do you determine the proper penalty for modified shocks? Is that 50 lbs, 100 lbs, 200 lbs? The benefit of this option is that IF you get the penalty set correctly you can simultaneously level the playing field and keep costs down as drivers can choose what they want to do. That is a big IF though.

Option 3's downside is that it could potentially increase the cost if you want to run at the front (though Rob did pretty well with his stock system!) The benefit is that it allows ALL cars to participate without requiring a back date and an open shock rule allows the driver to choose from many vendors and pick the system that works for their driving style and budget. I would also argue that this option creates a level playing field as all drivers can upgrade, though it is more expensive to stay level.

As I face my own rebuild issue, I vote for Option 3. The idea of spending money to rebuild an antiquated system (Option 1) is not very appealing as I'm not interested in 'vintage' racing. I would not be in a rush to replace the stock system if it were working properly, but if something breaks I would prefer to replace it with something more modern. Option 2 simply introduces too much complexity and administration. There is a reason we want to race with FCRA and not the SCCA! So while I am not thrilled with the extra money to put in a new adjustable shock system, I still think its the best option for me and hopefully the other drivers in the series.

Would love to hear other opinions on this. What say you .....?

2. vlamgat

vlamgat Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004
    I agree with Option 3 with two additional points:

1) Whether we like it or not we are investing in 15 year old technology and to a large extent are dependent on Ferrari to obtain parts at prices fully reflective of such an investment value. I rebuilt my shocks 2 years ago and they are due for another rebuild this winter. The cost is about half that of installing a lower price point remote reservoir set such as Penske or Mouton. However the parts for these rebuilds are only available from one source AFAIK and that is the guy in NH who used to do this for FNA back in the day when these cars were part of the series. I will contact him this week to see what the status of his supply has become.

2) There is also the issue of other suspension parts such as sway bars at springs. While changing the set up has speed considerations (obviously) there is also the safety issues especially when running with faster cars. Set ups for each track do vary and rain conditions place completely different demands on the suspension. Given that these cars do not have adjustable sway bars but do have an alternative sway bar spec, surely that poses the same question: if adjustable shocks were part of the original spec and alternative springs and bars were too, why not make springs, shocks and bars free? That gets away from needing a set of tech police and yet allows for the spirit of the original regs that facilitated adjustment except that we would user newer (but by no means leading edge) technology.

As it is I have no idea which set of bars or springs are installed on my car and in my discussions with Risi Competition it seems the spec on the part numbers has disappeared.

3. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    #3 gatorgreg, Nov 21, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
    I would say for now. Let everyone do what they want to do. I have the original shocks. I don't care. Everyone knows who is running what because it's a small class. Frankly, these mods are not creating a unfair advantage. All the 355's are within a 3 sec window. What wins races in the 355 class is consistently showing up to race. If you can make all the races, you will win the class.

What I find comical is, the guys who have all the modifications calling out "foul" when someone else out qualifies them with a less modified car.
    It doesn't even matter if you out qualify someone anyway. The race times are always slower.

4. johnhoughtaling

johnhoughtaling Formula 3

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    #4 johnhoughtaling, Nov 21, 2011
    This is a good forum and we are listening. Let's get the other 355/348 drivers to chime in.

My preference is to keep all of the cars as stock as is reasonable. The overall guidelines for modifications are allowances for things that make the cars safer, more cost effective to run.

As for Greg's comment about the guys who show up will win, the 355 class will be much bigger next year and is going to get a lot more competitive, so we need to keep an eye on the cars being equal. It's a slippery slope if we do not reign it in now. People who may not care now, will in two years.

5. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    You are probably right, John. It might get out of hand, but for now it is ok with me. The driving speaks for itself in the 355 class. The guys who won deserve it.

6. vlamgat

vlamgat Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004
    I agree with you but here is the issue if you extrapolate your perspective: a belt job with some head work and new rings costs about 50% of the cost of an exchange 360 engine. Someone (and that is not me) may choose to do a "cool" 355 Q-Car and race it. Are you OK with that? What about a turbo 355 - they are out there?

If we do not stick with John's perspective we either have to have our own tech police/protest methodology or choose limited changes that are modern replacements rather than enhancements. I think air filters, exhaust headers and pipes, shocks, springs and bars (given bushing issues) are easily freed-up as replacements. Wider/larger/lighter wheels would not be a replacement but an enhancement.

If this is not to be the case, then John rules! But that brings up a host of mods that have been done to all the cars as raced this year in some form or another that need to be either waived or reinstated. I have the original Challenge parts list and saw these mods at Homestead and Daytona. Personally I don't care wanting a reliable affordable steed but the changes need to address affordability much as they do at other discrete single class Vintage events.

7. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES

The only 355 which meets the super 355 criteria is Jeff's 500hp car and John did the right thing. He put him in the 360 class. So, we will have to see how it goes. I don't worry about these things. I just drive.

8. johnhoughtaling

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    #8 johnhoughtaling, Nov 21, 2011
    What we need to do is further define the existing set of rules. I'd like to hear the perspectives. Right now the driving rules, but as the series progresses, and competition and participation gets more serious (like I said we will have a big jump next year), these things will count. For next year we may have a major sanctioning body organizing and running the races, (the FCRA members and board will retain control).

As a series we will make exceptions (and add a weight penalty) to cars that were purchased in a certain condition prior to the owner entering the series. But I do not want cars modified beyond our goals. Otherwise we defeat the purpose of a cost controlled series.

My judgment is that Engines should remain stock. Period. For those already modifided we will provide a weight penalty for next year.

As for shocks, we need to decide. Id like to see cars remain stock put we need to see what is the most cost effective way to deal with this.

The stock ideal needs to balanced with not causing an expense to guys with existing mods (hence the exceptions and weight on a case by case basis)

But I'd like the 355/348 drivers to ultimately decide.

First big issue: Shocks.

9. vlamgat

vlamgat Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004
    John - shocks are symptomatic of the problem with "old" cars but in this case its not as bad as I thought. Delta Vee in MI are still advertising that they can do rebuilds for 355s at $400 each and seem to still be offering exchange units too but I suspect that for the moment is on the stock shocks vs. the Challenge models which were a firmer valved spec.

http://www.deltavee.net/parts.htm

They participate and advertise on F'Chat so perhaps we can get them to comment. They offer Dealer Discounts so it may be possible to negotiate for the FCRA if someone was so empowered.

So a lot less expensive than modified for Penske etc. I think this clinches it?

10. dipstick1

dipstick1 Formula Junior

May 24, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter Lombardo
    I agree with John with trying to keep the 348/355Ch's as close to original as possible with regards to the power train. But with wear items such as shocks, it would seem reasonable to use what is currentley available and priced reasonably. Again such replacement items should remain in the spirit of the series.

11. vlamgat

vlamgat Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004
    What about headers? Most of us have modified headers because the stock ones do not last a weekend in racing environments?

What's the feeling about this arena? They can make a marginal improvement in output but generally its about longevity. However if the stock Challenge silencers are removed the resulting system is noisier (Limerock issues) which is good marketing as they sound like F-cars should!

12. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    Shocks....then we need to ban Onofrio,lol. He is running a full Penske system. Rob Lay wins the 355 class for 2011!!!

13. vlamgat

vlamgat Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004
    Its a point - but the issue is we need to resolve this soon as Onofrio will have to procure a set of stock shocks, install and set up if this is the way we are going. similarly if we decide to allow remote shocks, some of us are poised to overhaul our stock ones which money would be better spent on a Penske set up. These things always take longer than you expect.

14. rydermike

rydermike Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2010
    Spring Hill,FL
    Full Name:
    Mike Donohue
    Then theres the question of where the "358" Plugzit has fits !

15. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    Shocks are an issue for the 430s as well. I have adjustable Penskes because the stock shocks aren't very good IMO - especially as we're using tires the car wasn't designed for. I'd make shocks free.

If you don't make shocks free, people will just revalve the stock bits anyway. You have to be realistic, unless you want to undertake SCCA level scrutiny.

16. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    #16 WCH, Nov 22, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  17. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    I think we need to concentrate on getting as many (355) cars to these events as possible. We are NOT professional drivers. We run in this series because we enjoy driving Ferrari's and having fun with our cars. You guys start slapping rules on everything. I guarentee cars will stop showing up. If you want rules and regulations to keep the racing fair, go join SCCA.

I think FCRA's priority should be in the area of SAFETY. It's starts with the cars and ends with the drivers.
    The cars should meet or exceed all current safety standards of SCCA. They should be running fire systems, new belts, new seats, nets, hans, full helmets, inspected roll cages and full Nomex.
    Next should be the driver education. All drivers need to be certified within the Club not by rubber stamp. The rules of NO touching should be enforced and gentleman driving should be DEMANDED.
    My fear is this series will end up in the hands of IMSA or Grand AM. Then it will become too serious. It needs to remain a gentlemans series in order to survive.
    Just keep it simple, keep it fun, encourage as many cars to show up as possible and most importantly make it safe.

18. johnhoughtaling

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    Greg:

I can promise you that the FCRA will remain controlled by the drivers. I started this as a non profit and I am not turning it over to a sanctioning body to run away with it.

I also agree with you that the object is 1) to make it safe, 2) to make it cost effective, and 3) to get as many cars as possible to participate.

This year we accomplished a lot. 1) We ran one of the most incident free series I've ever heard of, with everyone being extremely safe. We proved you can race your Ferrari without fear of getting it banged up. 98% of the cars did not so much have a single off or scratch in 14 races. 2) we proved we could run a Ferrari challenge arrive and drive program for 1/5-1/10 the cost of the factory challenge, 3) we exceeded the grid counts beyond anyone's expectations. (FYI we have 35 cars pre-registered for the first race 5 months out and over 90 Ferrari challenge owners have joined the FCRA)

However we do need rules. Mainly to promote the three goals, safety, cost effectiveness, and participation. Only rules that respect these three will be adopted. The series needs to be fun, and safe, profit is not a motive.

We will never exclude new cars entering the series. We will always encourage them. We may make exceptions and put weight on cars to even them out, but I want the cars to eventually graduate into as stock as reasonable. Many people this year got frustrated about the various performance level of the cars. (I am one of these). And if the series is going to continue to attract new members, then the cars need to be relatively even. If there are no rules the guys that spend the most will always win and that will hurt the series.

However, there will be no rules that increase costs or prevent new cars. We will make exceptions and put weight on cars that people buy in good faith that are already modified. I realize that there is a competing expense of returning cars to stock and we need to respect that.

19. jakermc

jakermc Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 17, 2004
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Great feedback from everyone and some very valid points.

I think the comment about us not running spec tires is important. Tires, shocks, and springs are all intended to work as a system. Having broken one part of that system with Hoosiers, even fully functioning stock equipment will not work together as intended. In my opinion, this is another reason to make shocks 'open'.

I feel strongly that engines should remain stock with weight penalties assessed to previously modified cars so that we can be as INCLUSIVE as possible. Here is one approach that might work:

The original spec called for weight of 2,981 lbs as raced, no driver (rolling across the scales after a race with no driver). I've seen a number of 355C DynoJet runs and it seems that a fresh 355 Challenge engine maxs out around 330 rwhp (give or take a little). This would seem to imply a natural wt/hp ratio of 9.0. My recommendation would be for modified engines to be required to produce a dyno sheet and any car producing more than 335 rwhp would be required to bold in lead ballast at a ratio of 9 to 1 over the 335 rwhp reading. Thus a modified engine producing 340 rwhp would need to bolt in 45 lbs of lead in a place that can be easily verified. Then put in place a cap - no engine can produce more than X rwhp, if they do they get bumped a class (i.e. turbo cars)

I specifically mention the use of ballast as this allows us to avoid trying to figure out what minimum weight should be. We can all lighten our car as much as possible (as the rules currently allow), but a previously modifed engine would have to bolt back in some lead brick no matter what the weight is before the ballast. It requires drivers to come clean if modifications have been done and requires a dyno pull so there is still a bit of an honor system to this, but it is a step in the right direction without over complicating matters.

20. JFatigati

JFatigati Karting

Apr 10, 2011
    New York
    Full Name:
    John Fatigati
    I think that Rob may be on to something. I do think that shocks should be an open item. They are really not too expensive in the whole scheme of things and will make an easier time of maintenance. Aero is also another consideration. I would like to see the spirit of the series to be as equitable as possible, and that means that there should be honesty about what's going on. I fully support the idea of weight penalties for overly modified engines as well as removal of all non-original aero add-ons. I think that there needs to be a minimum weight set, and if that is the original racing weight, so be it.

Ego is an inevitable by-product of racing, and I am certainly guilty of one particular offense of taking myself too seriously this season. To that end, I can assure you that I will be much less interested to carry on if I am not even in the ballpark with HP against other cars. I do not claim to be as talented as most drivers in my class, but it is nice to have a shot at a competitive race with ALL the cars in the class. I definitely had some really fun times at NJMP and Homestead with equally matched cars. That is what makes a great race series that is as entertaining to drive as it is to watch.
    Let's keep fun and fair!

21. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    An interesting approach that was used to equalize cars was the rule set from the Calclub sponcered Corvette Challenge which is a time trial series in so cal. Relative performance 430/360/355/348 could be seen just like vettes, C6Z06, C6base, C5Z06, C5base. Class names could change to A,B,C,D or whatever. Then points are added or subtracted for modifications like big brake +25 or +10 for swaybars. Too many points bump you in the next class. So a base 355C with more power, big brakes, and a giant wing might be in the 360 class. You could compete in the 355 class in your 360 if you run street tires. What this allows is people are free to spend money if they want or not and move around in class. The formula can get complex but it works and reduces the complaining. If a couple of guys want to start running methanol you let them and assign points that might effect their class position. If you find mid season those points are not enough or too much you change the points assigned for next season.

22. jakermc

jakermc Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 17, 2004
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I worry that this would make the modifications unlimited and I think nearly all of us agree that we want as many cars to remain as stock as possible. We just need a simple rule set that can include cars previously modified and allow for a few simple changes when the items in question are wear items, safety concerns, hard to acquire, etc.

Also remember, at least today, we do not have a tech area or people to perform tech. If we join a series that does tech for us, we will pay for that via higher registration fees, time spent sitting in impound lines, etc.

23. jakermc

jakermc Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 17, 2004
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Despite of what I just said, I do NOT want a minimum weight set. Here is my reasoning:

* The vast majority of what is done to a car to make it lighter is free. It nothing more than our own labor being spent removing things. It is the single greatest 'bang for the buck' modification that can be done.

* For many items you will save money by putting in light weight alternatives. For example a lexan windshield is safer, less expensive, and lighter than a glass alternative. Same is true for the rear glass. We should encourage those items to be replaced with plastic instead of glass should one need replacement. 2 piece rotors is another example, after the initial investment in the hat the new rotor is less expensive than the stock disc. Other examples exist but you get the idea.

* Lighter cars are much easier on tires and brakes, again saving money. From experience driving another car that has been ballasted up and down over the years in a 150 lb range, the difference can be dramatic.

* A light car is faster, more responsive, and more enjoyable to drive. No explaination necessary. :)

Yes, the last few pounds can be expensive but at the club race level that money is better spent on a professional driving coach. The most talented drivers will still finish ahead of the modestly lighter car. I was not going to catch Onofrio in Daytona just by taking the passenger seat out of my car!

24. Bertocchi

Bertocchi Formula 3
    Consultant

Jan 28, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    David Castelhano
    IMHO the group should appoint a technical Czar to make such decisions based on engineering science and with safety considerations. Perhaps there could also be a board that is made up of representatives from the various teams.
    The Czar should have complete autonomy and produce a written set of rules and oversea their implementation and inspection. Everyone has made some very good points here and the spirit of the thread seems to be one of cooperation...Bravo

25. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    "The vast majority of what is done to a car to make it lighter is free."

Rob, you could have people using lightweight body components. I personally would set the minimum weight a little below below the stock weight. By the time people add cool suits, data & cameras, aero, cupholders, etc, they'll likely have pumped it back up anyway. Hey, maybe we'll end up with an FCRA diet as drivers try to improve hp to weight the "easy" way.

Weight is simple to check at the track.

I think John has done a superb job of trying to steer things to fairness and equality without excessive scrutineering. The series is at a crossroads, and John seems to be trying to steer it on a course away from legalism - not bad for a lawyer. Rules are a mixed blessing: they can bring disputes. It may be that an honor system on most issues is best the way to go. Realistically, I don't think John wants to do teardowns. And, let's be honest, there's so much money and expertise out there that a driver who wants to cheat probably can do so without easily being caught.

My formula is, at least, without any penalty: conversion to steel brakes; front and rear aero; shocks and springs; headers. If there are model specific improvements generally recognized to add reliability or safety, then the class can ask for them.

Good discussion.