2012 DAYTONA 24 THREAD | Page 9 | FerrariChat

2012 DAYTONA 24 THREAD

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by RP, Jan 3, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    If I didn't know any better I'd think you were a little bitter about something ;)

btw, AFAIK you have to buy cup cars direct from PMNA, you can't just walk into a dealer and order one; and they are +/- $200k. still a discount relative to the 458 racer, but it's not like people are spending $85k at their local Porsche dealer and getting a winning car.

btw anyone know much about John Potter, owner of Magnus racing? discovered last night that he's a STL guy (now in Utah, at Miller Motorsports Park). local boy does good! :)

2. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    I'm not bitter at all. I'm sad to see what Ferrari Sports Car Racing has become. There's a big difference.

3. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    yeah, I wish Ferrari took sports car racing more seriously.

I'd love to see a privateer prototype in LMP2, a la the 333SP.

4. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    They haven't finished First overall at Le Mans, Daytona, Sebring, or The Nurburgring for FAR too long...

5. NWaterfall

NWaterfall Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2009
    The Track
    Full Name:
    Waterfall
    http://www.johnpotter.com/

I've been with teams that raced with/against him at Miller for a while. Nice guy, quite smart. I believe he's in real estate development and just started playing with cars and racing a few years ago. My hat is off to him, awesome race and win!

6. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    that link is where I discovered the STL connection but it doesn't explain much about how he affords to go racing.

he's 29 so he would have entered the CRE market at a bad time...so is he really good, really lucky, or has $$ from elsewhere?

7. rcraig

rcraig F1 Rookie

Dec 7, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Bob Craig
    Sorry also Peter. Probably jumped overboard a bit. I'll take you up on the brew and slide one back at ya.

I so hope the Grand Am Ferrari alliance works. I'm really excited to see it happen.

Would love to chat at VIR in September.

8. NWaterfall

NWaterfall Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2009
    The Track
    Full Name:
    Waterfall
    Pit-talk is that there was a significant inheritence... :)

9. yoda

yoda F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2004
    UT
    I don't know much about Potter either, he did attend a prestigious university so he may have come from money, but he seems like a nice guy and is doing well in his own business ventures. Good driver too.

It would be nice to see more factory support from Ferrari. If they spent just a fraction on sports car teams as they did on Formula 1...

10. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    Joao Barbosa takes his wife for a ride around Daytona in a 2-seat DP car :D

(skip the first 2:00 or so, it's just them buckling in)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=updyPbEJ8f4[/ame]

11. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Probably the best performing owner out there. He hung in with the rest of them, not quite at Rast, Leitz or Lally's pace, but not enough off to hurt them. He did great.

12. yoda

yoda F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2004
    UT
    #213 yoda, Jan 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
    Oh and I hope that Porsche up there in the photo ^ being towed is a GT2 and not an AWD Turbo.

Funny video, I didn't know you could fit a second seat into a DP car. Something tells me she would have a hard time in there for all 24 hours!

13. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I think they'd both have a hard time for 24 hours...maybe 2.4 laps! :eek:

14. loflyer47

loflyer47 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2004
    Phila. area, Pa.
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Did anyone get any pictures of the cars in the "Exhibition race" on saturday morning of the 29 winning cars from prior years that were on the track? Would love to see them.

15. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    #216 Str8shooter, Jan 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
    Parking was at a premium on Saturday and they were towing any car that wasn't in the right place. I was against the fence taking pictures and watched as they snatched an SUV by the rear that had parked and blocked someone's reserved motorhome space. The front wheels were locked, didn't spin and dug a nice trench as they hauled it out of the way.

Later on I was walking and these tow trucks came by with the Porsches and the silver one closest in the picture was cocked sideways and the front wheels were pretty much locked so it was sliding, skipping down the road. I can't imagine they were part of a display and being hauled that way so I'm guessing a few Porsche owners came back to find their cars missing.

16. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #217 Wade, Jan 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  17. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

Jim, those Porsches require a heck of a lot more prep than you imagine.

Still, their cost, performance and factory support make the 911s an attractive option.

18. Papa G

Papa G Formula 3

Dec 29, 2003
    +1

That's why they'll always be a gaggle of them in a race.

19. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    At the Ring before our 24 I saw 200 cup Porsche's race for 2 hours. I also watched their prep and spoke to the Porsche engineers. I've also gotten pretty familiar with a Ferrari 430 GT2. If I was a privateer instead of a constructor I'd be racing Porsches.

20. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

Except in Grand Am Rolex. Those are GT3 Cup base cars, but have extensive prep. Not quite the same as the GT3 Cups in the rest of the world.

Agreed, though. Porsche has made it their business to support their race cars globally. Ferrari: "Who did you say you are again?"

21. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    a few emails and voila...mystery solved ;)

http://www.pottersignal.com/

22. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    Trust me as a former Grand Am team owner the car is the LEAST part of the expenditure...Cup Cars must be purchased through PMNA and they require significant upgrades to race after you get them...

23. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Plus frequent and expensive engine and gearbox maintenance by PMNA. :D

No such thing as cheap racing! ;)

24. rcraig

rcraig F1 Rookie

Dec 7, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Bob Craig
    Sorry, a little off the subject.

Peter, Do you know if they will have a Ferrari car corral at VIR for the race this year?