»-(¯`·.·´¯)-> !! 2011 Korean Grand Prix -Race- *-*-*SPOILERS*-*-* !! <-(¯`·.·´¯)-« | FerrariChat

»-(¯`·.·´¯)-> !! 2011 Korean Grand Prix -Race- *-*-*SPOILERS*-*-* !! <-(¯`·.·´¯)-«

Discussion in 'F1' started by vinuneuro, Oct 15, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    Race day, figured I'd start an early thread with some observations from this weekend.

I hope McLaren have played it right. In pre-quali Horner said that RBR focused completely on race setup in practice. In post-quali JB said McLaren haven't done high fuel runs yet. Despite lacking DF through most of the season McLaren seem to have a very good understanding of the tires so maybe they'll be ok.

If tire degradation is an issue maybe JB will take this too. I don't think Lewis has gotten his arms around tire management still.

JB and Lewis are both on the clean sides of the grid, the dirt side is supposed to be very dirty. Dirty enough that Jenson didn't want Vettel to get a penalty for cutting the corner during quali.

Lewis looks like he's hurting pretty bad on a human level, really hope he can bag this.

The gloves are off now. Despite the championship being over I think racing will be just as entertaining if not more the rest of the season. I hope Vettel gets stuck behind at least P3 in the race so we really see some good action. Hopefully there will be tons of on track action and the race won't be won purely through strategy though it's added a lot of fun this season.

2. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    +1 to the above.

I will be interested to see if Webber has had a leash on him this year.

3. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    IMO Lewis has had enough of the BS surrounding him.

So dead pan is the way he is going to play it good for him, he can shut his critics up on the track.

4. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Vino thanks for starting the thread. Im an early check in as well. I hate waiting in the que :)

+1 to the observation you made and Steve. The story of this race will be LH/pace/tires and JB vs Vettel. Red Bull are focusing on the race for set up. Will that gamble pay off. The Mclaren is fast and they must be favored!

Ferrari dont appear to be as strong as last week. That being said FA does wonders with the semi-dog the car is at times.

5. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Uh-oh! :) *Should* he make an OK start, which by his lowly standards would mean holds his position (!), they've been conspiring against him so far?....... Not buying it, sorry; His confidence on the grid is shot, he's terrified of screwing it up, and therefore does just that. (IMO.)

+1

However, it doesn't "please" the sponsors or the GUW - A simple smile would have worked wonders for example..... He just seems to keep putting his foot in his mouth (or his car in someone elses! ;)) no matter how hard he tries - And I'm starting to think he's not trying, which can't be good. [Outside the car of course - That was a pretty impressive lap IMO]

:)

I could name about 20 guys that would give almost anything to have that seat..... In a lot of cases, Ferrari wouldn't even need to pay 'em. ;)

Third (and challenging for second) in the WDC doesn't exactly suggest the car is a "semi-dog", again, IMO ;) Even dear ol' Phil pedaled it around pretty well earlier, and he *sucks* apparently :)

:D

BTW; Just noticed we have 3 different manufacturers in the top 3 spots..... The "spec series" haters (and the "it's all fixed" crew) seem ominously quiet. ;)

Cheers,
    Ian

6. DF1

We have 1 win vs 3 last year. Not exactly progress. On the hard tire we have been lapped and lost pace. FA makes it better than it looks. Didnt mean to insult the red team at all. The car is well.....not that great. Better than most but not better than Mclaren or Red Bull on comparison overall.

7. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Fair comments, and I never meant to imply any insults.

Absolutely agree! For sure, Mcl & RB are ahead right now. That's gonna change "soon" I hope..... Changing either of the jockeys (Phil was quicker in Q btw :p), firing the design and/or engineering staff isn't the way to fix it IMO. [Not implying it's yours either ;)]

Cheers,
    Ian

8. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Ah well this is it, maybe or maybe not this is why I'am interested, I wouldn't go as far as saying they are conspiring against him.

Has he been told from the get-go of the season : under no circumstances must you challenge Vettel.

Its no biggie either way just seemed to me or I wondered if Webber has either lost his spark or passion because of team orders.

9. DF1

Yes no worries! I hope the next car will address this one's shortfalls. We shall see. Its a team effort. Engineers, management and the drivers and crew. A RED resurgence is due!! :)

10. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    I asked the mods to add a couple * around SPOILERS in the title. And this is what I came back to after *just* finishing Exit Through the Gift Shop on netflix. :D

11. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    LOL I was wondering what you were up to Vig, guess thats Andy beakers art work..;)

12. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    I think Caterpillars has gotten even better this season if that was possible. He's like a Lewis and Jenson rolled into one. Really wish McLaren still had him.

13. DF1

Was he thinking of the 'love' hotels near the Korea track :)

14. DF1

Agree'd. He is about the most complete driver out there. JB is a close second!

15. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    It's not really BS when your teammate has been handing you your ass for weeks now. It's fact. LH has underachieved this year and whether or not he wins this race won't change that. Now, the people saying that McLaren should sack him and he's finished, blah blah blah...now that is BS and they are/were indeed clueless.

16. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    In one of the recent pre-race shows Webber alluded that there's been a more figurative leash on him this season than what he/we might've thought compared to even last. The gist of it was that more of the resources for setup have been going to Vettel's car. Makes good sense that this is possible if they tend to use different setups. I don't consider him a mentally weak guy so for him to also say that his WDC chances probably came and went last season says something too.

Interestingly, Lewis and Jenson use nearly an identical setup. Must indicate the balance of the car is pretty good, just lacking df sometimes?

17. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    #17 Jack-the-lad, Oct 15, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
    The interseting thing is I never read any speculation about other teams pursuing him. That doesn't mean it isn't happening but I never read anything about Ferrari or RB or Mercedes trying to get LH on their team. That says a lot.

In any case, if not a red car, then "Go Jensen!"

18. Latsyrc

Latsyrc F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2008
    Utah, USA
    Full Name:
    Travis
    #18 Latsyrc, Oct 15, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
    Checking in! This will be the first race I've been able to catch live since the beginning few this season. I actually really enjoy this circuit, and hope Button does well there today. Go Ferrari, but Button if not them! :D :D :D

EDIT: Hehe I just noticed the last part of Jack's post, too. :D

19. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    Hamilton has been under contract from 08 through the end of next season. At what point would some other team have pursued him?

Mercedes isn't foolish enough to try to get him and be shot down. Ferrari won't try as long as FA is there. The only other possibility is RB if he has a good season next year. Even then they may or may not considering Vettel can take the WDC and there are marginal enough drivers to help get the WCC without getting in Vettel's way.

20. DF1

Good morning! Nice report on the BBC with Fernando!

21. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    WTF? Dirt bikes on Speed!!! :(

22. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    PS

Hello all,

Forza Ferrari!

23. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
    W T F in the USA...why are we watching motocross vice F1??????????????

They just announced that we will see it live after this....Whatever to motocross.

24. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Chance of rain !

25. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    this is the second race in a row where a 2nd (or 3rd) tier form of motorsport-Australian V8s, now Motorcross-has pre-empted F1.

sad.

problem is, if SPEED doesn't care about F1, who will? I don't see anyone else stepping up to the plate to pay for the rights. :(