2010/2011 Audi R8 or 2007/2008 Lambo Gallardo? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

2010/2011 Audi R8 or 2007/2008 Lambo Gallardo?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by JackAstoria71, Feb 20, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 430 scuderia

430 scuderia Guest

Jun 10, 2008
    In my opinion go fro the R8...

Best
    Greg

2. LI2782

LI2782 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 19, 2010
    +1 for the 430 but out of your options, since you say you like the "attention" the lambo is a no brainer. When someone asks what you drive and you say a Lambo it has the wow factor but if you say Audi they might assume you drive the same base A4 that every jersey shore kid's parents bought them. As a vehicle the R8 v10 is superior, but for what you care most about the lambo is probably the winner.

3. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    Remember I am a DIY guy. 10 qts oil and a filter is all it uses in a year. Clutch is expensive but I have never had to put a clutch in a non race car

4. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
  5. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

With a handle that contains "Jack" and "Astor", of course you're from Ontario.

I see more R8s in the 416.

6. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    The R8 (V8) is probably a better car than the Gallardo in basically any measurable sense, but the Lamborghini has a cachet the Audi could never match.

7. rkrenek

rkrenek Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2003
    Plano, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I've owned both. I can tell you the R8 is more of an every day car in two aspects that come to mind quickly.

First, the R8 has a softer ride. If you want a car that you can drive a lot without feeling every bump in the road, the R8 is a great way to go.

Second, the R8 attracts attention, but the Lambo will attract real nuts. I was always more comfortable leaving the R8 in a parking lot than the lambo.

I've gone from a 6 speed transmission in the R8 to the E-Gear in the lambo. Up until now, i've always been a manual transmission guy, but the E-Gear is so good now there is no reason to go back.

You can't go wrong with either. Just get one and enjoy it!

8. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    I would go with the Gallardo. . . it seems like that's what you really want, anyway ;)

To a non-car nut the Gallardo will impress vastly more than the Audi. To a car-nut the V8 R8 will not be the V10 R8.

While some on here say things like "the Gallardo is dated" or "plain" etc. these folks are likely not your intended audience for the looks/wow factor. To anyone else, even your average gearhead, it's still "wow a Lamborghini!" The Audi is certainly great looking but it's not a Lamborghini, and will pass by some folks without a second glance. Most will see it as a nice car but won't realize it's a six figure automobile.

Although it sounds silly, from a psychological standpoint I would hate to buy a V8 R8 and constantly have it compared to the V10. It's worse than the Boxter owners talking about why they didn't get a 911. Whenever I hear someone talk about an R8, the words "Vee Ten" are uttered, no matter what. There's a laundry list of model year changes and special editions of the Gallardo, but you never hear "Why didn't you get the Superleggera?" et cetera.

Then again a "chick" will never ask you about the 5.2L R8.

Further I believe the older Gallardos are much more depreciated than the newer R8's, which could indicate that they are closer to a market bottom, whereas the R8's have a longer distance to fall. The R8 is tremendously overpriced in my opinion, both new and used. Supercar-per-dollar it's the Gallardo, hands down. If we were talking new MSRP that may be a different story.

9. mred

mred Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Ed B.
    No question...Gallardo

1) Looks/wow factor

The Gallardo is the clear winner here. The R8 is beautiful but nothing touches the presence of the Lambo.

2) Cost (initial and on-going maintenance)

Obviously the warranty is an issue here but the general reliability of the cars should be the same. The mechanics of the cars are nearly identical so there is not a huge difference here. The perception is that the Gallardo would be more expensive and that is nice to maintain the aura of ownership but at the end of the day, it should not cost you any more. Labor rates and parts costs are generally the same.

3) Daily driveability/Reliability

Again, pretty much the same. Space and livability are generally the same. The AWD setup on the R8 is a bit smoother at low speeds (same as 09+ Gallardo) but there are not many places you can't go in a Gallardo. Mine is my only car right now so I use it every day. Rain or shine.

4) Comfort (will put about 15K km/year)

Some feel the seats are more comfortable in the R8. I find the R8 cabin to feel a lot narrower (definitely the center console), and the lower quality materials kind of annoy me.

5) Re-sale in ~3yrs

The R8 is due for re-invention soon. The Gallardo will also be redone in the next couple of years. The difference is that after that, the R8 will be $140-170k new while the Gallardo will be near $300k. That will impact each market in a hugely different way. The R8 has a long way to go down. The Gallardo will inevitably depreciate but the amount will be smaller than the R8s.

6) Performance

The performance of an 06-08 Gallardo should be better than an R8. The weight of either being a convertible might become a factor but they are close. Based on HP and Weight, the edge should go to the Gallardo.

Here is a PPI Checklist that I put together for the Gallardo. It should be helpful in your search. http://edbolian.com/?p=2374

10. JackAstoria71

JackAstoria71 Rookie

Sep 16, 2011
    The wealth of input here has been phenomenal. Thanks guys!

Ha! b-mak I never made that connection when I signed up, maybe I came from Jack Astor's that day.

I have looked at Maserati and it is on the list, though not up there. It's an incredibly sexy car but I feel does not have that overwhelming wow factor to turn heads.

I do believe the R8 will depreciate a bit more just because it hasn't been around as long and the new version is coming out soon. The more I search for Gallardos the more I see ones that are optioned the way I like. What I don't understand with the Gallardo is the clear engine bonnet is not standard, whereas in the R8's and say 360/430's the glass engine compartment is standard. Why did Lambo not make this standard? Showing off the engine is such a unique feature which is what makes it exotic in my opinion. When I see Gallardos without the clear engine bonnet that to me is leaving out the coolest feature on the car.