2010/2011 Audi R8 or 2007/2008 Lambo Gallardo? | FerrariChat

2010/2011 Audi R8 or 2007/2008 Lambo Gallardo?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by JackAstoria71, Feb 20, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JackAstoria71

JackAstoria71 Rookie

Sep 16, 2011
    Hey folks,

I have reached a point where I can get my first ever supercar (budget $110-140K CDN). As much as I would love to get the 458 Spyder, that's beyond my affordability right now. Here is what I'm looking for in a car, in order of importance:

1) Looks/wow factor
    2) Cost (initial and on-going maintenance)
    3) Daily driveability/Reliability
    4) Comfort (will put about 15K km/year)
    5) Re-sale in ~3yrs
    6) Performance

This may sound superficial and shallow, but I'll be brutally honest... I'm a bachelor and enjoying my single life, and I do enjoy the attention if you catch my drift. I don't track cars and care little about 0-60 times, so performance is the least of what I look for. I have a Lexus GS as my daily driver and loooooooovvvveee the comfort and reliability (fill it up and worry free maintenance). I used to have a Honda S2000 and although it was fun to drive (felt like a go-kart on steroids), the hard ride and loudness of it became tiring after a while. Most of my driving is in the big city or slightly on outskirts, but I'm usually in/around traffic.

Porsche is out as I find their look boring and dated. Ferrari (360) might be in my price range, but I'm concerned about maintenance/reliability and comfort. I feel that I can get into a newer car with newer technology (love bluetooth, sat radio, and back-up cam) for the same amount of money or less. Nissan GTR is an option but I've had Nissans and the GTR just doesn't scream anything exotic to me. Aston Martin's are cool but they don't have a supercar look, and reliability I have read is a huge issue.

I've narrowed it to the R8 and Gallardo, what do you think? The Gallardo is without a doubt the biggest attention grabber of all, and the fact that I can say I own a Lamborghini has always been a dream of mine. The R8, on the other, has a more subtle refined sexiness to it and I've been told it can be driven every day with comfort (and chicks seem to really dig this car :).

Is there any other car I may have potentially over-looked that would meet my criteria above? This is a big purchase so I would like to be as well-informed as possible. Thanks!

2. JackAstoria71

JackAstoria71 Rookie

Sep 16, 2011
    Forgot to add, if I get the R8 it will be the coupe as I dislike the look of the spyder. For the Gallardo, I like the look of both the coupe and spyder.

3. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    To each their own, but the G is IMO the more outrageous looking and is more he supercar in appearance. It will be more expensive to maintain (e.g. I use Audi rotors on my G because they are 1/2 of the essentially identical G rotors) and harder to find someone to do the work. My G is less luxurious, e.g. no cruise control or steering wheel controls.

4. bounty

bounty F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    1) Diablo :)
    2) R8
    3) R8
    4) R8
    5) Diablo
    6) Gallardo

5. JackAstoria71

JackAstoria71 Rookie

Sep 16, 2011
    Care to elaborate? Thanks!

6. scuderia513

scuderia513 Formula 3

Oct 28, 2008
    OH
    Full Name:
    TYI
    Can you get a V10 R8 within your budget?

7. JackAstoria71

JackAstoria71 Rookie

Sep 16, 2011
    Possibly, although it would be on the higher end. What I like about the V10 is that many of the options on the V8 are standard on the V10.

Do you guys have rough estimates as to annual maintenance and operating costs of R8 vs Gallardo?

8. scuderia513

scuderia513 Formula 3

Oct 28, 2008
    OH
    Full Name:
    TYI
    I would go for the R8 V10 then. The R8 looks better than the standard Gallardo and has lower maintance cost as mentioned above.

9. jjk2

jjk2 Rookie

Oct 22, 2007
    would you consider an r8 spyder? ability to put the top up and down on the go I think is really nice for Vancouver weather.

Gallardo looks and sounds better but r8 seems much more sensible, bang for your dollar.

10. dmaxx3500

dmaxx3500 Formula 3

Jul 19, 2008
    lambo all the way,just looks cooler

11. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    R8 looks much better than the Lambo IMHO...

12. Pav

Pav Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 18, 2006
    Warsaw, Poland
    Full Name:
    Michal
    The Gallardo is a bit older and more expensive to maintain. In a 2008 model you really feel like in a 2004 car. I can't tell for the reliability, I guess more experienced members could guide you here. The R8 V8 is really REALLY underpowered. The 4.2 FSI engine lacks torque and power in that body. If fun is not a straight line for you, you will immediately sense the chassis has a lot more to give. The V10 is a better option here.

13. JackAstoria71

JackAstoria71 Rookie

Sep 16, 2011
    I think I'm leaning a little more in favour of the R8 (V10 - not Spyder as I think it's ugly). As much as I want the Lambo, the cost and reliability are the big drawbacks. Besides, I've always wanted the scissor doors so perhaps after the R8 I'll get a Murc or, if things turn out well, the Aventador (but if I'm in that price bracket of course Ferrari will be in the mix).

14. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Definitely drive both as your opinion may change but since your single and like the attention I say the Gallardo and you cannot beat the sounds coming from that V10.

15. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    #15 kverges, Feb 22, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
    I've never understood the huge allure to scissor doors. They are actually harder to get in and out with IMO. I don't think one car looks better than the other, just very different. The G is very Italian yet purposeful due to the heavy German influence. The R8 is unique and the "blade" is an interesting element, too. The cars are very very similar and I'd expect comparable reliability. My G has only needed a clutch master cylinder out of warranty in the last year and since I drive about 3K miles a year and do my own annual oil change it costs me about $250 a year for routine maintenance. Now the clutch master was about $600 and took me several hours to fix since the damn thing is in the footwell and to bleed it I had to pull all the access panels and air filters and housing to get at the bleeder nipple. I bet a dealer would have charged 2-3K for that job.

Either car should be very robust, to me the G is the only choice, but I like the bright colors that simply can't be had on the R8 and the much lower and more aggressive stance of the G

16. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Not a bad list, although I'd switch #3 and #4..

The Gallardo is (over)due to be replaced, and I don't find it terribly exotic anymore. It's a very conservative car and feels like an Audi inside.

The Diablo's not something I would drive, but I'll admit it still looks outrageous -- hard to beat for the LOOK AT ME!!! factor. I think it was Lamborghini's final bit of insanity. Elizabeth Hurley looked good driving one, but for most male drivers it looks a bit desperate.

The R8 is beautiful in a modern art kind of way, and the Audi dealer network will take care of you. If you want exotic looks without the hassle, an R8 would be a good move.

But, you're overlooking the Aston Martin DB9, which stomps everything here in terms of looks. If you need a yellow car with a wing and neon brake calipers, an Aston's not your thing. They are the handsomest cars made today, though. By a long shot. A black DB9 makes just about any other car look like an also ran.

17. Pav

Pav Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 18, 2006
    Warsaw, Poland
    Full Name:
    Michal
    Feels OLD inside, especially if you compare to the Aventador (which screams Audi in some places, but looks really good).

18. Miura Jota

Miura Jota F1 Rookie

May 26, 2004
    Toluca , Mexico
    Full Name:
    Martin
    I'd love to be in that dilemma :eek:

whereas I Lust for the R8 ... I would go all the way just for the sake of saying ; I own a Lambo

P.S. forget the F.

19. HH11

HH11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 4, 2010
    With your budget and 6 bullet points why don't you look at 2005-2006 F430s ? They fulfill all of your requirements, it sounds great, and has exotic street presence. Believe me on the street presence thing, everyone looks. They are great in regards to maintenance, and just fantastic cars to drive.

My .02c.

20. JackAstoria71

JackAstoria71 Rookie

Sep 16, 2011
    You guys have given me a lot to think about. Thanks for the replies. I'm glad to be in this position, then again, it's not like I'm getting a 458. :)

I will definitely drive them both. The 430's are a little out of my price range. The 360's can be had but then I'm moving into an older car and I kind of like the perks of newer technology. I will check them out anyway because you never know. I find Diablos dated. The DB9 is sexy, but it's more a grand tourer to me and maintenance/reliability would be a killer.

Regarding scissor doors, they are just so cool and unique and define Lambo in my opinion. They may not be the most practical, then again, is any supercar practical?

Kverges, your maintenance is only $250/year?? With the Lambo I'll look for one with a replaced clutch as that is the biggest expense, right? $250 just seems low for annual maintenance. I'm not a car mechanic guru or anything like that keep in mind.

I'm from Ontario and for some reason I swear I've seen more Gallardos than R8's. Anyone else notice this?

21. etip

etip Formula 3

Apr 4, 2004
    Washington State
    Full Name:
    Eric
    You could totally get a 430 for $140 CDN.

I'm heading up to Vancouver for the weekend.

22. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Totally agree!

I understand where you are coming from when looking for the Wow factor, but if you are any bit of a car enthusiast, performance will play a factor as well.
    I had an Aston Martin Vantage which I had always dreamed of having...the most elegant car ever designed. I sold it in just 3 months. It didn't have the Wow factor for me and driving performance was underwhelming.

I debated which car to get between a 430 and a Gallardo for a while, and what it came down to was the emotional visceral driving experience of the 430. The Wow factor will get old after a while and what you will really appreciate from the car after the honeymoon phase has worn off is the driving performance. Lust or love.

23. chp

chp Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2005
    The Aston is a wonderful piece of art, but it doesn`t fit in the row of the midengine cars.

R8 V10 convertible in white. :D

24. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Gallardos have been around since 2004. R8s are only a few years old, at most. So yes, Gallardos are commoner.

If you really want a 458, wait a few years -- new exotics depreciate quickly, and Ferrari have been making mass runs of their cars since the 360 launch (18,000 of those).

On the $250/year, that is astonishing. The Audi A5 that I'm daily driving now costs more than that.

25. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    The new R8 is coming soon