2 of 3 center air vents stuck closed? | FerrariChat

2 of 3 center air vents stuck closed?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Bovien, Apr 28, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bovien

Bovien Rookie

Jan 15, 2021
    Seems only the centre of my three air vents on the center dash is stuck closed. Nothing happens when I turn the outer ring.
    Now, they are pretty nasty sticky, but still nice looking, so I don't want to mess too much with them without a specific knowledge on what to go for.

Any ideas of why the flaps in there are closed no matter the position of the outer ring? Is it fixable from the outside or is it more complex than that?

2. Konadog06

Konadog06 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 22, 2007
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Bovien likes this.
  3. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    This also happened to me which I've managed to fix.

So the rotating rings have teeth on the inside which bite onto a gear which move the flaps open/closed.
    Over time and use the ring will get misaligned with the inside gears of the flaps and therefore won't grab to open/close.
    You basically have to take out the vent or rings and realign the teeth/gears.

You have 2 options to fix it, either remove the entire air vent or try to just remove the rings.
    Because both ways to fix it are literally just prying them out, whichever way you choose you're very likely to break off some plastic tab on the inside. (I did)
    Regardless, there are many tabs that latch it into place, so even if you do break 1-2, the vent will still re-attach snuggly with no problem.

It's much trickier and time consuming to re-align the gears by just removing the ring, because the gear will still be difficult to see and get to. But there's less risk of breaking something.
    On the other side it's much easier to re-align the gears with the entire vent out, but riskier to break something.

I would first try to remove the rings and see if you can manage that way. If not then move on to pulling out the entire vent.

Here's a link on how to remove the rings:
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/vent-removal-on-my-360.225942/

To remove the air vent you have to use some tool which can reach the inside lips of the air vents to grab them and literally just pull them out with force.
    Here are pics of the handy air vent removal tool I made from a clothes hangar.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Qavion likes this.
  4. Bovien

Bovien Rookie

Jan 15, 2021
    Wow! Thanks a lot! That's a plan for the weekend. :)
    I might test out fixing the stickyness as well. I found a solution for the rest of the sticky parts with a certain type of paint that gives a bit of structure, so it looks OEM'ish

rhern213 likes this.
  5. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    My rings are actually in the opposite condition of yours, the black rotating rings are in excellent shape, but the silver inserts are pretty rough.

6. JC1720

JC1720 Karting

Jan 21, 2016
    UK
    I'd recommend pulling the whole vent out as shown, you can then clearly see what the issue is. Be careful not to damage the plastic baffles inside the vent while doing so.

It's a really simple mechanism when you get it out. The bottom gear on the photos is attached to the flap in the valve. I suspect one set of the gear teeth has jumped and is no longer meshing. I put some lithium grease on afterwards to make it smooth for next 20 years (hopefully)

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Qavion and Bovien like this.
  7. Bovien

Bovien Rookie

Jan 15, 2021
    Fantastic, guys! Thanks!

8. Bovien

Bovien Rookie

Jan 15, 2021
    So, fixed it 95% without having to take anything apart. After seeing the pic of the mechanism, I was able to push them open without any resistance, and then hold them open with a screwdriver and turn the rings to catch the gears. It might pop out again if I turn them off rapidly, but I'm not gonna touch them anymore.

By the way; if I remove the sticky stuff, are they black plastic behind it white-ish as some of the plastic are?

rhern213 likes this.
  9. ///Mink

///Mink Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2006
    Fair Oaks, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom Mink
    Yep, the outer rings are plain black plastic under the goo. I de-stickified mine and just left them. I may have them refinished some time but they're fine as-is for me.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Bovien and rhern213 like this.
  10. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    If you remove the sticky coating, the arrow indicator will be erased. We have replacement decals, just send me a PM if you need some.

11. fridolin_pt

fridolin_pt Karting

Mar 25, 2008
    Germany NRW
    Full Name:
    Fritz
    I have cleaned the sticky stuff with ethyl alcohol. If you apply it carefully - it is always recommended to be careful with alcohol - you get the black plastic and I even managed to keep the arrows -except the first - where I would like to refer to your kind offer.