2 new ads for 400 in UK one manual and one auto | Page 2 | FerrariChat

2 new ads for 400 in UK one manual and one auto

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Pyrford Ranger, Jun 29, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dinopaul

dinopaul Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2010
    Paris, FRANCE
    Full Name:
    Paul
    As previously written, forgery was well done

Every number are matching, on the red car and on the dark blue car

Do not know for gearbox, and body number, things to explore, but chassis and engine numbers are matching together (24801 & 313)

2. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    That is interesting in itself. The conclusion being either whoever changed the numbers had access to 24801 or its paperwork (or, although unlikely, that Ferrari got in a mess and put all the wrong numbers on the car to start with).

Incidentally, I strongly suspect that the registration of 23947 was VPH672S not VPM672S. I have found (and corrected) similar errors in the FOC Register in the past which are just a result of misreading handwritten membership forms. These cars were often registered sequentially and there are several other Ferraris that were registered VPH6**S. In fact, VPH671S was on a 308 GTB that was also owned by the long term owner of the 400 we are discussing.

Jonathan

3. torquespeak

torquespeak Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Jonathan, that's exactly what I thought based on the number of other 'VPH' S-plate cars. I'm aware of about half a dozen 'VPM' reg cars, but these all appear to be on Y-plates.

However, DVLA has *no* record of 'VPH 672S' (their records - while not perfect - suggest that it never existed); whereas they do at least have a record of 'VPM 672S' registered at some point (although no further data about make/model etc).

-Ed

4. torquespeak

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Quick bump - we are making some progress on the ID of this car, but getting information out of Ferrari isn't easy at the best of times, and they're a bit busy at the moment... ;)

-Ed

5. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    Isn't it possible to identify a car by its build number ? My GT has the matching 3 digit build nr. written or stamped all over,behind every panel and stamped into the metal several places.

Check behind door panels,inside edge of hood/trunk or on metal surfaces in the engine bay. Should be easy to find.

Arvid

6. Ramboy

Ramboy Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2009
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    David Ramm
    Hi Arvid,

I expect it will be helpful to Ed if you could show photos of precisely where you found the build number, in the locations where you didn't have to dismantle anything. I tried to help by looking at my 412 (as I know the body number) but couldn't find it in any visible places, though it could well be that practices had changed by the late 1980s.

David

7. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    Hi David,

I would most definitely help with that but my car is undergoing full body restoration,1500 km away.

What I do remember is :
    - backside door panels
    - engine bay,stamped on one of the square metal tubings for frame,low in the bay
    - inside of hood,stamped on the edge,either on top or sides. No need to remove insulation
    - inside door openings,think it was on the hinge ?

I'm sure there are lots more. Open up doors/hoods,trunk and look on every edge and panel you could find. It's a three digit number (no letters). For comparison mine is 244 :)

8. chromapilot

chromapilot Karting

Nov 16, 2015
    Prague
    Full Name:
    Vladimir
    #33 chromapilot, Nov 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. torquespeak

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Guys, to clarify... we have the numbers. The issue is not locating the numbers. :)

The issue is with getting an official statement from Ferrari S.p.A. in respect of the car's identity.

Very recently, the structure of the relationship between Classiche in Maranello and its various 'outposts' around the world changed somewhat with tighter controls over who can give out what data, and in what capacity.

-Ed

10. Ramboy

Ramboy Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2009
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    David Ramm
    #35 Ramboy, Nov 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Well I have at last found the body number "1910" on my 412 (#80194) thanks to these posts, on the edge of the bonnet/hood, so it looks like all 412s as well as 400s and 365s will have them.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. annibendod

annibendod Rookie

Jun 23, 2010
    Wales
    Full Name:
    Carl Atkins
    Just wondering if the mystery was solved on HNM425Y???

12. torquespeak

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
    To some extent, yes. Happy to discuss via PM as I don't know the very latest on it, so I don't feel it would be right to speculate.

-Ed