1995 F355 Berlinetta Exhaust Woes, Tubi Too Quiet! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

1995 F355 Berlinetta Exhaust Woes, Tubi Too Quiet!

Discussion in '348/355' started by AutoFanaticF355, Aug 13, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Might be so but have your driven one with the updated evolution exhaust? It’s night and day.

You also say you don’t rev over 7k rpm, the note is amazing with separated outlet muffler at the higher rpm range. It’s pretty easy to comprehend how it would sound louder if the bypass pathway was not mixing with the muffler silencer as it does with the old style Tubi.

2. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    May be the case Elliot, but I don't have experience with the newer unit. My car came to me with the older Tubi. It's loud enough for my old ears. Also, it's a spider so I don't have the noise abatement of a coupe. Nothing against coupes, I just don't want to be out on a nice day in a closed car, and if I do, I have the Cayman or my 308 GTB.

Michael Burgoyne and MAD828 like this.
  3. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Yes I was going to point out the spider would make it much easier to hear all the engine noises. I enjoy the GTS with the roof off much more because of the extra sound entering into the cabin.

4. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    Currently I'm unpacking and setting up new digs in Florida near Sarasota. Parts I have in boxes waitng for me to set up my garage umongst other things are the Kreissieg spiral Y-pipe, primary cat bypass, and a Fabspeed "X" pipe exhaust. Already have Tubi headers (replace 5 years ago when the stock headers developed their disease). I'm replacing a Tubi muffler that I got in 2002 (so I know it's their original design) and Hyperflow cats that I got at that time as well. I like how Fabspeed kept their design relatively simple and light but integrated the X crossover joint. Perhaps the new setup will give a few extra ponies. No matter what exhaust is put on the 355, they all sound good, as that's the nature of the 5v beast. It's just which resonance one finds more appealing to their own ears...btw also have a Capristo valve and Forza controllers in boxes waiting to go on also

ShineKen likes this.
  5. michaelz

michaelz Karting

Jul 7, 2017
    Melbourne Australia
    You don't need a bypass valve.

I've read your post and as soon as I saw the words "put back to stock", I realize this option might not be for you but it's the simplest solution and easily reversible. I'm very much into modified cars and disconnected the exhaust actuator and just wired the bypass valve open.

I have a '94 early 2.7 GTB, Capristo catback, cat delete with Fabspeed headers. Sounds great all the time and the volume isn't overbearing (for my standards).

Some people say it's loud but they don't know what loud is until they hear a single turbo converted bridgeported rotary with a 4" exhaust and a screamer pipe hanging off the wastegate. :D

Michael Burgoyne and GSF355 like this.
  6. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i dont know - i bought mine in probably 2003 or 2004

7. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    is there a difference in sound between a 2004 and 2020 tubi?

8. AutoFanaticF355

AutoFanaticF355 Karting

Aug 13, 2020
    NY
    Full Name:
    Philip
    thanks for all the input here from all you F355 owners I think I have gotten my decision down now to do either the Tubi Evolution or the Capristo Level 3 rear muffler and keep the existing headers and sport cats. If i keep the car long term then i will do the Tubi headers as well but not now. decisions decisions now all for sound lol If anyone has interest in my current Tubi muffler send me a PM as it will be for sale.

9. AutoFanaticF355

AutoFanaticF355 Karting

Aug 13, 2020
    NY
    Full Name:
    Philip
    according to their Italian website they offer various versions of these mufflers and their loudest one by design is the Evolution which i think was introduced in 2008 from what i was reading. so Tubi has 3 muffler choices for our cars and 1 choice of straight pipes

10. 05elise

05elise Karting

Jul 20, 2011
    Sharpsburg, GA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    A Capristo Level 3 with Fabspeed headers allows my car to have that old F1 scream and I even have standard cats on it right now to keep the local emissions testing site here happy. I have never had anyone tell me my 355 doesn't scream after driving past them and the question is always how I got it to scream like it does.

11. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Tubi evo vs cap 3?

12. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Cap 2 is supposed to be the better choice over Cap 3 as it is supposed to be louder when valve closed. Reports are you can still barely tell the difference. They are still both too quiet when valve closed.

@Tttforcefed

Since you like the "Italian" sound, Tubi Evo would probably fit you best.

MAD828 likes this.
  13. chris1866

chris1866 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Chris
    You're supposed to be fixing that ;-)
    Did you cut it yet?

I don't notice a volume difference at all when my bypass opens with the Nouvalari. I think I need a catless Y-pipe...

ShineKen likes this.
  14. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    I haven’t even opened the package. I’ve been so busy, almost forgot :). Thanks for reminding.

15. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    I believe Mad828 has an MS Racing Y-pipe for sale. Supposedly it is spec’d out with a “secret” diameter for optimum F1 scream

Robb likes this.
  16. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Sold that, it did make the top end on both Capristo and Tubi Evolution noticeably higher pitch and louder. It does sound cleaner with OEM Y pipe installed.

17. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Philip,

Congratulations on your 1995 F355 Berlinetta. It's a beauty! Drive it in good health.

If you want your car to sound raw, consider the Top Speed Pro 1 Titanium Challenge Exhaust...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Ferrari 355 Coupe Spider 95-99 Challenge Race Full Titanium Exhaust System

It's configured just like my OEM ANSA Challenge exhaust and so your F355 will sound just like an F355 Challenge...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Barry

18. Drock28

Drock28 Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    ive played with many exhaust configurations..

my current setup is the best balance: fabspeed headers, stock cats, Nouvalari ypipe, Nouvalari exhaust.

its reasonable nicely toned at idle, regular cruising has nice audible, full throttle to red line screams nicely, but not ear bleeding.
    offers nice crack/pop on those high rpm shifts.

I previous ran test pipes with this setup for 2 seasons, that definitely increased the scream, but I could no longer deal with the exhaust smell.
    surprisingly with stock cats back in, with the rest of setup, it is still very nice.

I also ran the Fabspeed, tube only challenge style exhaust. and I did not like it much. it howled but not the nice pitch scream. it lacked any definition.

in my opinion, to encapsulate, that scream we all know, it requires an actual exhaust box.

19. Suffyk

Suffyk Formula Junior

May 25, 2012
    Subscribed

20. Oz-ATL

Oz-ATL Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2011
    any sound clips or anything Tony?

21. Drock28

Drock28 Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    unfortunately I have no clips of my current setup..
    only recorded footage I have, is from a previous configuration.
    Fabspeed headers, stock cats/ypipe and the Fabspeed challenge exhaust.

22. Oz-ATL

Oz-ATL Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2011
    Sounds nice. If I had to guess that setup would sound close to the tubi full setup.

23. Culprit

Culprit Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 4, 2011
    Santa Ana, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian
    What muffler are you running now? Let me know if you have second thoughts about cutting up that nice Capristo..

24. lanab

lanab Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2016
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I fitted Nouvalari Super Sport on my F355 2.7, it screams better than anything i had before

The sound beats Capristo by far.

25. AutoFanaticF355

AutoFanaticF355 Karting

Aug 13, 2020
    NY
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Sounds great what Capristo have you tried and do you have headers and sport cats on your car? Not much info about these systems on the USA website including pricing.