1995 F355 Berlinetta Exhaust Woes, Tubi Too Quiet! | FerrariChat

1995 F355 Berlinetta Exhaust Woes, Tubi Too Quiet!

Discussion in '348/355' started by AutoFanaticF355, Aug 13, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AutoFanaticF355

AutoFanaticF355 Karting

Aug 13, 2020
    NY
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Hi guys this is my first post here i just picked up an amazing 1995 F355 Berlinetta i Rosso Corsa/Tan which took me almost 10 years to find a clean enough car for my needs. I have owned the car for just over a week and I am going through everything to make it exactly how I want it. I already removed the aftermarket alarm, stereo and radar and put the car all back to stock. I also did some nice detailing of the wheels and brake calipers which i have videos posted on my Auto Fanatic YT channel

So heres the deal I just got all the records on my car since new. It has Fabspeed headers and Race Cats that were installed in 2008. It also has a Tubi muffler that was installed in 2008. The paperwork does not indicate what version Tubi is on the car and I can not see any designations anywhere. I also have paperwork from 2018 that shows a Tubi Muffler and then a credit saying Tubi not used, kinda confused on this and i left a message at the shop in Ohio who worked on the car to trace down the history of what they did with this muffler.

the car sounds nice but almost too stock for my tastes. When these cars were new we always installed cat deletes and Tubis and sometimes a muffler delete and these cars SCREAMED.

Also at idle my Exhaust valve does not open, when driving I honestly do not notice much change in sound which means maybe the valve is shot. My valve moves freely no bind and no rattle but I would also consider removing the valve i do not need a quiet mode and i know Tubi makes a stainless spacer to remove the OEM valve assembly.

I held my valve open and revved the engine and it's not much louder.

I am after that scream as I recall as a teenager working on these cars. So here are my thoughts and I would like to hear from you guys with some advice who have explored this exhaust scenario far more recently than I have, its been 20+ years for me.

My car still has the OEM upper Y Exhaust secondary cat pipe, Should I consider deleting this?
    Should I yank the Tubi and do the Fabspeed Muffler Delete Race exhaust?
    Should I do both or try one before the other?

The other cars I own are very obnoxious and visceral and since the F355 is another toy in my stable i kinda want it to sound raw.

Please share your thoughts and suggestions here. I am also not open to spending $$$$ changing things around many times id like to keep the headers and cats and do one or other as for the upgrade. I also would sell the Tubi muffler

2. Oz-ATL

Oz-ATL Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2011
    Welcome Philip. I enjoyed the wheel detail video yesterday, very thorough. Gorgeous GTB.

I’m sure folks will chime in Here shortly but an “as is” video might help here and on your site. People can’t get enough of F355 sound clips.

and maybe post some pictures of the mufflers as that seems to be where some ambiguity is.

3. AutoFanaticF355

AutoFanaticF355 Karting

Aug 13, 2020
    NY
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Good idea i will work on that video soon we have rain all day today and tomorrow. My first video on the car on YT i have some in cabin driving around town which you can listen to.

4. Red_SLR

Red_SLR Karting

Jul 22, 2019
    Full Name:
    Simon
    My car has tubi. Its not as vocal as Capristo. IMHO. I decatted and now its much better but still not too high pitch. I think Capristo really tuned theirs for this.

5. Culprit

Culprit Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 4, 2011
    Santa Ana, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian
    The valve changeover is hard to notice on a '95 with a Tubi muffler. When blipping the throttle on downshifts, you can tell if it was open.

The Fabspeed headers are counting against you on sound, as they are well known to decrease the high end 'scream'. Tubi manifolds or OEM/rebuilt will sound better.

If you want raw, the muffler delete could be for you... it'll be more challenge car like. Again, it'll decrease the high end pitch but certainly it will be more raw. I'm in the process of deleting the Y-pipe cats on my car, that should at least make the valve opening more apparent.

05011994 and ShineKen like this.
  6. bcar1

bcar1 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 2, 2017
    NYC/NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I have a 97 with fab speed headers, y-pipe/primary cat delete and a capristo. It absolutely screams when bypass opens. When I originally had the capristo installed I had evoflow cats + stock y-pipe and it didn't scream quite as much as wanted. Where in NY are you?

7. AutoFanaticF355

AutoFanaticF355 Karting

Aug 13, 2020
    NY
    Full Name:
    Philip
    What Y Pipe are you going to go with and what muffler do you have?, thanks for the info on the headers i had no idea since we never used them back in the day, Tubi was the only ones who made headers back when these were new. What about removing or deleting the valve assembly is this easy or there is more to it than just installing that spacer slug where the valve goes?

8. AutoFanaticF355

AutoFanaticF355 Karting

Aug 13, 2020
    NY
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Can you share me a video, I am in Westchester NY

9. Michael Burgoyne

May 5, 2020
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I'm in the process of achieving the same on my 95 as well. I'd start by deleting the primary high flow cats you have and using test pipes, that will dramatically change the exhaust note. Post a few pics of your current muffler, I'd be curious to see if it's the same model Tubi (Evo) as mine.

10. Culprit

Culprit Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 4, 2011
    Santa Ana, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian
    I got the Kreissieg spiral Y-pipe. Looks super cool and is claimed to increase the scream. Had it ceramic coated and I'm painting it this weekend.

I have a Tubi muffler and rebuilt headers (got the car that way). Might change out the muffler for a Capristo but I don't like how it sounds before the bypass opens, where practically speaking most driving tends to happen. Will probably get the Forza bypass controller to go with it. The controller is another solution to deleting or wiring open the bypass. So many goodies to buy! :)

ShineKen likes this.
  11. Culprit

Culprit Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 4, 2011
    Santa Ana, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian
    I had a '97 on which I deleted the primary cats. It sounded 'sharper' but I wouldn't say it really changed the tone. The change from high flow cats would be even less noticable.

12. AutoFanaticF355

AutoFanaticF355 Karting

Aug 13, 2020
    NY
    Full Name:
    Philip
    I can not find any markings on the muffler just an invoice from Algar Ferrari who sold and installed it way back. does yours have any stampings or logo on the case?

13. AutoFanaticF355

AutoFanaticF355 Karting

Aug 13, 2020
    NY
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Does the upper Y Pipe change the sound at all? I plan to put a camera in the engine bay to see if the darn OEM valve works its original, but id like to know as well. Tubi makes a spacer to delete the valve but they are not easy to get.

14. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    just do tubi test pipes - it will scream and it passes emissions no problem. i have tubi headers, tubi test pipes, bradan y pipe, and tubi mufflers.
    if u want more scream u may need to go capristo or kresseig (sp) exhaust...

15. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    post some pics and where in NY? how many miles on the car? did you buy the car in PA?

16. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Woah woah woah. Wait ... what? Kreissieg spiral Y-pipe! When did you get that? Installed yet? Would love to hear your feedback on it.

17. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    His car won't be screaming anytime soon with Fabspeed 4-1 headers. He needs stock or Tubi headers.

Challenge likes this.
  18. Culprit

Culprit Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 4, 2011
    Santa Ana, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian
    I was on assignment in Japan for a few months earlier this year a got a nice discount by having it shipped to me locally and stuffing it in my suitcase! I even found one of the F355 magazines you recommended in a local bookshop there. I just got the Y pipe back from coating at Swaintech, primed it last weekend, and painting it black now to blend in with the engine bay. I'm eager to check the sound and hopefully also decrease engine bay temps. I'll let you know when it goes in!

ShineKen likes this.
  19. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    You're lucky it was in stock :). Japanese after-market companies don't usually stock items. The Kreissieg spiral Y-pipe caught my attention. Will be curious if it lives up to the hype. Did Kreissieg say anything about it?

20. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Does the Tubi exhaust have separate outlets for each of the 4 muffler tips or is there a junction that has 1 exit pipe from the muffler to the two tips on each end?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

The top one is an evolution and sounds great, you will have the top end scream. The bottom one does not have a distinct sound difference when the bypass opens.

21. AutoFanaticF355

AutoFanaticF355 Karting

Aug 13, 2020
    NY
    Full Name:
    Philip
    mine looks like the one on the right in the smaller photo thanks for sharing and pointing out the differences here. since mine is an older unit the mounting bracket does look different and my case is smooth with no rolled ribs

22. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Ok with that said your car would sound better with a stock muffler.

23. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I beg to differ. I have the bottom one on my car and it very obvious when the bypass opens.

24. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Which Tubi muffler do you have?

25. bcar1

bcar1 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 2, 2017
    NYC/NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob

not a great video my buddy took, my guess is this is 85% throttle 5000->7500 rpm. Need to get a better one at some point. Its a little louder than I'd like at idle but the the hi-flo cats were not loud enough so what can you do. The scream with the valve open is very intense.

It comes down to what you are looking for- the capristo will give you the highest F1 pitch & a secondary bypass will amplify that. If you just want volume the fabspeed straight pipes and primary cat delete is probably plenty.

Michael Burgoyne likes this.