1989 328 head noise | Page 3 | FerrariChat

1989 328 head noise

Discussion in '308/328' started by Marco Lucchini, Dec 12, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Alfer

Alfer Formula 3

Sep 4, 2007
    NH/the Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Menno
    Hi John, I never heard this problem earlier. Can de block be warped by overheating or were the motor mounts not right. I know of many 328's that did many moler miles than the 54K and still hardly oil consumption or else. You did follow a long route and made the right choice to go for an engine out.
    I am happy that my Euro spec has no lambda sensor. The engine is easier to work on as many is easier acessable. I set my idle at 900RPM when warm resulting in 700-750 when cold and it runs even at 700RPM rather smooth.
    This winter I changed all lights to Led, what a great improvement against little money.
    Happy Eastern! Menno

2. Alfer

Alfer Formula 3

Sep 4, 2007
    NH/the Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Menno
    Marco, did you make any progress?

3. Marco Lucchini

Nov 29, 2016
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Marco Lucchini
    Alfer, ready to pluck the engine out of the engine bay and guess what, the engine hoist jib won't reach a mid engined car, bugger. Looked around to see if there's anything with a longer jib, there is, but it's a 3T hoist that's massive and doesn't fold up. Looked at extending my gib but the stresses are too high on that section of SHS. So I'm now in the process of making a stronger and longer jib and extend the legs. Hopefully won't be too much longer and have the engine on the floor.

4. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Life in Australia must be different. I have an old $200 engine hoist I bought from my neighborhood automotive store (Kragen's) 15 years ago when I pulled the engine off a 308GT4. It has worked well in many applications including the time I pulled my 328 engine out straight through the back of the car. I used it to haul engines from the ground to the engine stands until I figured out my 4 post lift can do the same thing without having to reassemble the engine hoist. It now sits outside covered up until I need it ... once a year.

5. Alfer

Alfer Formula 3

Sep 4, 2007
    NH/the Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Menno
    Marco, this is so typical for working on your own car. Take your time and step by step! Look forward to further news here.
    Good luck,
    Menno

6. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    I found this with the hoist I used to take mine out. Had to come at it from the left side. It makes it more difficult ( you have to remove the LHR wheel) but it is do-able. Definitely needs 2-3 people to watch everything though.

7. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Just read this thread for the first time...

Before you do any more work - do you still have the oil you drained from the engine or is there enough remaining in the sump that could be sent for oil analysis? It would be interesting to see an oil analysis because the symptom description and the sound file (from what I'm hearing on my laptop) don't fit the diagnosis - it sounds too 'light' for bearing knock. Sounds more like some of the other suggestions - exhaust leak, valve train noise, spark arcing, etc. I realize you checked all that but bearing noise is generally heavier and increases in volume as the load is increased. Usual test is to put the car in top gear and essentially "lug" the engine, preferably uphill. Bearing knock will become very obvious with that test.

How was the oil pressure? If normal under all conditions, especially at idle/operating temp, it indicates that the bearings are OK. I realize that cutting open the filter produced alarming results and if this was a US V8 and I was concerned, I'd say, what the heck, drop the pan and take a look - it takes very little time to do that/pull some rod/main bearing caps. But on these cars I'd really want to be SURE I'm not wasting a lot of time (and probably even more money) doing unnecessary work.

Frankly, if the pressure was OK and a load test did not produce any thumping/knocking, I would have just changed the oil, installed a new filter and do another filter cut check in 500 miles. Well, actually, I wouldn't have done that! I have never cut open an oil filter so I wouldn't have ever seen those particles in the first place! I guess what I'm saying is that absent an oil pressure problem and knocking under load I wouldn't be looking at the sound as bearing related. Not saying I'm right, just saying that bearings would not have occurred to me as the cause of the noise.

In any case, best of luck and wishes for an inexpensive solution!

8. JohnnyTS

JohnnyTS Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2012
    Pretoria East, RSA
    Full Name:
    John
    hehe, did the sound come back again ?

9. Marco Lucchini

Nov 29, 2016
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Marco Lucchini
    Did the oil change and filter change, and the noise is there and doesn't go away at all. It's there all the time. I'm virtually at the point of plucking the engine out once I figure out if my engine crane can cope with the weight at such a large reach. I'm assuming the engine with transmission is about 270Kg. I hope this is correct as I've made some mods the the engine crane and hopefully can handle the load at full stretch.

10. Marco Lucchini

Nov 29, 2016
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Marco Lucchini
    I hear what your saying, but I'm really not comfortable driving with that sound and knowing that the metal in the oil filter is copper. there's really only two places that copper is present, that is main and rod bearings. The oil was thrown out unfortunately. I wish you could remove a rod or a main bearing from underneath, but it's impossible toy get past the windage tray.

11. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Well, 270 kgs is also the figure I have in mind, yes (273kgs??) Can't remember where from, but it should be right.

Rgds

12. Marco Lucchini

Nov 29, 2016
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Marco Lucchini
    Just dropped the pan and found what looks like white metal paste substance. It feels like sun cream but a white metal colour. The pan and baffles are coated in it,
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Wow.. that can’t be good. How long have you owned the car? Almost looks like some sort of STP additive.