1987 Mondial 3.2 Heater not working | FerrariChat

1987 Mondial 3.2 Heater not working

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by rickster69, Jul 27, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rickster69

rickster69 Rookie

May 24, 2010
    Hello all. I recently bought a nice 87 Mondial and the interier heater does not work. Fan operates fine but no heat. Fuses are all good. Wondering if it is the temperature sensor or thermistate control? Anyone have this problem before?

Thanks
    Rickster

2. FamilyCar

FamilyCar Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2007
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Peter Goodall
    The heater also has an electronic control valve which can fail. Heat is modulated by opening and closing the valve at different ratios, i.e. more open for more heat, only blipping on occasionally when little heat is called for. The vale is in the passenger's foot-well, high on the outside side of the car. If it is operating properly, you should be able to hear a soft thumping coming from it when a medium heat is called for--turning it up full blast will leave it open, so no noise.

If you disconnect the power to the valve, it defaults to full open. If it is disconnected and you still don't get heat, the valve itself is gummed up and doesn't work. If you do get heat, the problem is elsewhere in the control system. I can't comment on how that system works.

If the valve doesn't work, it can be rebuilt for little money. It is the same as used on BMW 5-series of the era. The valve itself is on the top of the following link so you can see what it looks like. The rebuild kit is a lot more affordable. http://www.autohausaz.com/search/product.aspx?sid=gbbpq555ajqkjjbqbhdntmbn&makeid=800003@BMW&modelid=1012352@535I&year=1987&cid=24@AC%20%26%20Heat%20-%20Climate%20Control&gid=6860@AC%20%26%20Heater%20Control%20Valve

Removing the valve from the Mondial is not a fun job, however.

3. Lenvo65

Lenvo65 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2005
    Bergen Cty NJ
    If I change from hot to cold on controls (or in between) no noise from this valve and just stays hot. I am assuming this valve needs to shut in order to have AC, does that sound right?

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Yes, the operation is:

+12V between the terminals = valve closed = no hot water to blower

Your next step should be to measure the voltage between the two terminals on the hot water valve when having the AC "on" and requesting a cold temperature. If the voltage is +12V, but hot water keeps flowing = you have a bad hot water valve. If the voltage is not +12V, you have an electrical/sensor problem.