1986 Mondial Coupe for sale in Maine | FerrariChat

1986 Mondial Coupe for sale in Maine

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by MondialMondo, Jun 14, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MondialMondo

MondialMondo Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2005
    USA
    Full Name:
    MondialMondo
    So I have been eyeing this 1986 3.2 Mondial Coupe for a while but it is not selling probably because it is overpriced by about $7K. Does anyone have any information on this car and/or dealership? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.ayereuropeanauto.com/database/detail.php?id=224&

VIN: ZFFXD21A3G0062235

Also, should I be worried because the dealership selling the car also restores cars?

Regards,
    Mondo

2. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    color is not a popular combination = hard to re-sell if you decide to part with it. 16k miles or not, 1986 first model year, no ABS, and unless it has had its 30k service, it's a $25k car.

3. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    Those 3.2 litre motors are fairly bulletproof - even the 1986 models. The color combo hurts this car, and I am NO fan of red leather interiors. Eh, if they can be 'talked' down, that could be a very nice ride...

4. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Looks like a great price to me!
    :)

5. MondialMondo

Oct 9, 2005
    USA
    Full Name:
    MondialMondo
    I am also not a fan of a red leather interior, but I do like the car's bulletproof engine and its exterior paint color. "Talking" them down $12K may be the hard part since they don't seem too eager to sell.

6. MondialMondo

Oct 9, 2005
    USA
    Full Name:
    MondialMondo
    I smell a conflict of interest there, Russ! You wouldn't happen to own one by any chance, would you? ;)

7. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    I couldn't see offering less than $30K for the car - if its had new belts within the past 2-3 years, all the bells-n-whistles work, and the paint/interior is cherry (probably is, not much traffic in Maine besides the Moose), they won't look to budge much.

8. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    If it has had a recent major, it's not terribly overpriced, only a tad overpriced. This is a 3.2, probably the best overall version for Mondials when you take into account reliability, etc. I wonder how old the cooling hoses are.....hmmmmm?

Birdman

9. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    Alittle 'newer' than yours......but not for long, eh?

10. TGF

TGF Formula Junior

May 1, 2007
    North Central, MA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I think the color combo is kind of fun, but I agree that it's uniqueness is an issue. Are you ready to go from a owner to a collector (more than 1 FCar) Mike?

11. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I like that color combo. True, a little bit of an "off" color, but not way out there.
    36 is too high though. 30..TOPS.

12. MondialMondo

Oct 9, 2005
    USA
    Full Name:
    MondialMondo
    My dream car would actually be a grigio metallico 1988 Mondial Coupe with a tan interior, but I am not sure that color combo actually exists. I have never seen it. I will consider anything that comes close, which would be the 1986 car in question. However, I'm not willing to shell out more than $30K unless it came straight out of a time capsule. I have owned a 1986 3.2 Coupe before so I have a rough idea of what they should be worth.

13. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    I agree wholeheartedly except I wouldn't pay more for a time capsule car. $30k is all the money on a very sunny day. I love this colour combo. If I didn't like the red after a while, I would redo the interior but the grigio is top notch.

14. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    I like the color combo. It works really well for Mondials. I agree it is overpriced, even if it just had a major last week. I think mid 30's is very top dollar for a 3.2 CAB with no issues, fully serviced, etc. I have seen nice ones change hands for high 20's. Subtract several thousand (5K?) for a coupe. A few months backs Ferrari Market Letter had 3.2 cabs at around 32K, FWIW. Also, if the major is three years old, it only has two years before it needs another, so I would not consider that car being "serviced". At best, add 2/5 of the price of a service to it. VERY roughly, and this is my very humble opinion, I think most of the actual selling prices for 3.2 coupes is 20-30K, and cabs 25-35K. Condition, miles, etc is about a 5-6K part of the swing, and the car needing/not needing a service causing another 4-5K swing in price.

One thing I found while shopping for Mondials is to ALWAYS verify exactly what the seller means by "serviced", specifically if the valve clearances were checked and adjusted as necessary. This adds a hefty chunk of money to a service if a pro does it, so a lot of people skip it. 99% of the time they will have the belts and MAYBE tensioner bearings changed. In all the cars I looked at (and I looked at a lot) not one seller had the valve clearances checked and adjusted as part of any major service. In fact, only one car I looked had any records of it EVER being done, and on that car it was around 1991 and 35K miles ago. FYI, the manual recommends valve clearances checked every 15K miles.

15. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    I really like that car, and what a lovely car they are to drive! I don't think it is terribly over priced. It would be the steal of a lifetime at $25k, so that is out of the question. Its worth what it sells for. He'll get $30-32k for the car.

16. betelgeuse

betelgeuse Karting

Mar 13, 2007
    Hanover, NH
    Full Name:
    Greg Loupis
    I have been wondering about that car also. I`m tempted to take a ride over there and look at it. Kind of strange there is`nt more pictures for a car that is so perfect. I thought the price was a little high also. I like the color combo.

17. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    keep in mind, we all may be Mondial fans, but Mondials are not fast sellers, especially coupes. They are often first time Ferrari buyer cars, and most first timers want a red/tan car.

$30k + for an 86 coupe is over priced unless you don't plan on selling it for a few years, and putting 10-20k miles on it. Otherwise, you'll *never* recoup your money. If it were red/tan, serviced, and an 88, $30k wouldn't be unreasonable.

If they don't want to budge, leave them your phone number and tell them to call you when they're ready - you never know. But don't let the low miles fool you, never know what's ready to pop because it hasn't been driven.

18. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    I also NEVER believe the odometer in these older cars. Buy based on condition and service history, not mileage.

The more I look at it though, the more I LOVE that color combo! That really is a good looking car they have for sale there!

19. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    I really like the color combo but as always hate those convex wheels. Just tell them that if you don't get an offer over $28,500 you'd give them that for the car if it checks out after a PPI. Don't be afraid or ashamed to offer it to 'em.

20. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Pretty much every F-car made is up in price, yes even Mondial's, 365/400's and all the 308 variants. Guess which one seldoms comes up for sale!?

21. rtking

rtking Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bob King
    I have a grigio/red Mondial (1983 QV.) The Grigio paint looks great on the Mondial in my (very biased) opinion. But if you read in another thread, I am not partial to red interiors either and was going to have the interior dyed beige/tan. But after receiving the car, I realized that the interior isn't the blood curdling red I thought it would be. It's a cross between red and bordeaux and its actually quite nice. If you did decide to redye the interior, there's a lot of little bits that have to be re-dyed which would make it an expensive proposition...

Bob

22. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    I think his asking price is quite fair for such a beautiful and usable hand built small GT - An asking price for our little black coupe' would be far higher. :) :)

As James Patterson at Norwoods once told me, "Russ, you're never going to sell it, so you might as well set a place at the dinner table for it..."

best to all

rt
    "Mondial End-user"

:)

23. MondialMondo

Oct 9, 2005
    USA
    Full Name:
    MondialMondo
    I love this quote! If I find the 'right' Mondial I also plan to keep it for as long as I live. I will not care about resale value once I own the car.

MondialMondo
    Future "Mondial End-user"

24. jungathart

jungathart Guest

Jun 11, 2004
    NoVA, AmeriKa
    Full Name:
    Komrade Jung
    I've seen this car online before; I think it is very beautiful. I had a silver QV and wish I could have kept it.
    I agree that it is much overpriced, esp. a coupe in late spring! Those folks may be selling their first Ferrari ever, or think that the low mileage warrants the asking price. IMHO, the mileage is sort of in-between, in that a Mondial would have to have even lower mileage to end up with a buyer at that price.
    At any rate, it would be a marvelous first Ferrari, or addition to a collection.:)

25. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Why? Who in the world is going to buy a low mileage Mondial to preserve for posterity? 4 seats = driver.