1978 400GT 5 Speed Chassis 22579 On Ebay | FerrariChat

1978 400GT 5 Speed Chassis 22579 On Ebay

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by samsaprunoff, Sep 21, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    #1 samsaprunoff, Sep 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Good day All,

Just documenting these cars, as they come up...

Something is certainly up with this... yikes ...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ferrari-400GT-5-Speed-/261101322219?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item3ccad9ffeb

78 Ferrari 400GT 5-Speed
    Color: White with White/Black Interior
    Mileage: 31961

Chassis: 22579
    Starting Bid (no bids yet) : $89000 USD ($91400 Buy It Now) ???

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I'm thinking scam...just can't be legit...

3. jm3

jm3 F1 Rookie

Oct 3, 2002
    United States
    Full Name:
    JM3
    Those "extra adapters" don't just grow on trees, ya know.....

4. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Well the price is insanity...

But to this guy's credit he posted good closeup photos to let everyone know that THIS is what most ebay 400s look like. Thick cracked paint, worn, musty leather. Dry rubber and hoses and chipped and scratched wheels.

Add in delaminated glass, a bit of oil burning and a jumpy tach needle and there you go... your typical $24,000 Ferrari!

When I was shopping for my first 400 I looked at every car that was on ebay and in Hemmings for close to two years. Almost every car had the "neglected" car feel... the worn paint and tired interior and lopey dopey engine that hesitated and missed at high RPMs and of course... diamond hard TRXs.

Always amuses me when a real cared for example pops up here for sale at $29,000 or thereabouts it's hard to sell, yet a $24,000 disaster sells every week.

5. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    The pictures certainly don't match the description:

"this car received new paint, all new door seals, new bushings all-around, freshly rebuilt brake calipers, new tires, and a new windshield. Custom braided brake lines were made, and extra adapters added on each end to make them fit to the chassis hard-lines and calipers. This car even started its year-long journey with nearly-impossible-to-find clean bumpers needing just a spray, as you can tell by the pictures."

6. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Sure they do... first of all he did not say WHEN the work was done, and the photos... they're just shot too close.

Look at the typical Ebay "Luxury Exotic Highline Dealer" photos- all shot form a distance, all 400 pixels wide- the closeups are way too jpg compressed to see anything. This guy got close.

This is what a $2200 paint job looks like after 8 years or so. Cheap paint over bondo over surface rust. Unfortunately many, many 400/412s and Mondials and GT4s look just like this.

7. Ashman

Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    LOL! You're probably right about all that! If it's true, then my car's original 29 year old paint, even with some nicks and scuffs here and there, looks far better than that more recent redo, whether it is from six inches, six feet or across the street!

8. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Looks like the car was red at some point judging by the hint of red here and there. I really like the overspray on the harness as it goes into the drivers door. It would be a cool one to have (for the right price) because of the carbs and 5 speed, too bad.

9. Ashman

Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Aww, now I see it. The last time I heard of 22579 was in 2009 when it was offered as a project car on eBay out of California with a Buy It Now price of $18,000. Description said "generally rust free" and "zero compression in one cylinder".

At that time it had a red exterior and a black interior. So that white paint job is less than 3 years old!

Reported bought by an FChatter who was sending it to Canada for an engine rebuild. Haven't heard if that's what actually happened or what has happened to it since.

10. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Well this is what all of those $16,000 Mondial 8s look like in person... and aren't we al tempted by those cheap Ferraris??

Always kills me as people put up those Craigslist and Ebay cars here with 600 pixel shots- "Wow looks clean.." seems to be the consensus.

This is why you should never buy a car without laying eyes and hands on it first.

11. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Wow that's amazing amount of crazing for a 3 year old paint job. My 400i was restored in 2008 and the paint is absolutely unmarked- perfect really. Also my interior was restored and done right, as opposed to this nightmare.

12. Ashman

Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    I agree on the need to see a car in person before buying it. When I was looking for my car in 1998 I saw around 8 or 9 400is in New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Nevada and California before buying 46153 from a private collector in Laguna Beach, California. He had paid $72,000 for it in 1988 (!) from the original owner, (Lanny Wadkins, the pro golfer and CBS commentator) and then turned down an offer of $110,000 for it (so he said) in 1990 or 1991 before selling it to me for a whole lot less than that in 1998.

I was fortunate to have lots of business trips around the country to be able to see these cars and I saw mine twice before buying it and shipping it home.

13. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thats not crazing, thats bondo cracking because it was put on so thick.

14. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Could have been a hobby car for somebody...sort of an on going DIY project, could have just given up on it. I have a funny feeling the price is just to get people to look at the ad. Seems to have worked.

15. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day John,

I did a search on fchat with the chassis number and I found some comments on 22579 late last year...

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?p=141034408&highlight=22579#post141034408

Something is certainly amiss with this car... I wonder what happened?

Cheers,

Sam

16. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
  17. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    I'm sorry but I feel the buy it now price is ridiculous considering the condition of the car.

I intend to contact the owner, tell him that he's dramatically undervalued the car and will offer $99,000.00 instead of the measly $91,400.00 being asked.

I will then put my 1978 400 on ebay for for $336,219.27 and no doubt it will sell in minutes.

Honestly, you yanks have no idea how to drive up the price of our cars...... I'm very disappointed in all of you !!

18. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    I just realised that this is a manual car whilst mine is an auto. I don't want to be unfair to any potential buyer so will reduce the price accordingly and advertise if for $336,219.14 - I'd hate to be seen as trying to sell a car at an unrealistic price.

Apologies for any confusion.

Russ

19. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    #19 MS250, Sep 22, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
    Looks like someone is pissed off here.

The add, then the pics is sending a message of some kind.

What I read here is ....someone has serious anger with their car and trying to sell it to make a point.

Am I the only one that sees this ?

20. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    I think your right Red, looks like this car went to Texas in March, and now its on ebay?

21. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Wife: "It's me or that car!"

Husband: "Yes dear, it's for sale on Ebay". ;)

22. 180 Out

180 Out Formula 3

Jan 4, 2012
    San Leandro, CA
    Full Name:
    Bill Henley
    Your theory does explain the oddities of this eBay ad: that it seems to have included photos only of the defects and no photos of the good bits, like the freshly rebuilt carbed engine and long shots of the interior and the car itself, and that the opening bid and Buy It Now prices are way out of sync with the market. I would add my own $.02 and guess that the Buy It Now of $91,400 represents the owner's all-in investment. As if to say, "I have spent $91,400 on this beast and this is what I got."

23. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    <knocks self in head>
    I just got it. Jeesh, I feel stupid. I know all about this car..............

Ok fellas you're going to hear a lot more about this car here. Grab a beer, get your popcorn, and find a comfy place to sit on the couch.

24. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    Got my Moretti 6 pack and Jiffy Pop ready. Swiss Chalet on speed dial if needed. Thanksgiving special should be on now.

25. 87testa

87testa Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario
    I think a surgeon could have done better with the stitching.

Caveat Emptor