1972 Dino 246 GT #02768 | FerrariChat

1972 Dino 246 GT #02768

Discussion in '206/246' started by dinolvr, Dec 11, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dinolvr

dinolvr Rookie

Dec 6, 2007
    I spoke to the folks down at International Auto Group who have this car(its on ebay)....I think it can be bought for $115-$120k.....sounds reasonable...does anybody know of another GT for sale in this range? Thanks

2. toto70_0

toto70_0 F1 Rookie

Sep 14, 2004
    NETHERLANDS
    #2 toto70_0, Dec 11, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    Yikes! Scary...

4. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    do you have any more photos or details of the car?

5. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    ebay auction ended at $115,100 and reserve not met, so $115k isn't the bottom price

who knows this car?

6. CornellCars

CornellCars Formula 3

Mar 24, 2005
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I do...it's mine - a full set of pictures after the door has been painted can be seen at:

http://www.iagmotors.com/carpages/1972-Ferrari-246-Dino-For-Sale.htm

Car is very original, a survivor for the most part, all original paint except the door you see in the above pictures; door was shot for marketability (as dinodan claimed "scary"), pictures above were taken to show originality of the car. I'm honestly surprised on fchat to have seen a "scary" response or two, I'd have thought you guys more than anyone should be able to recognize factory skimming and filler to even out body panels, and should know better than the average buyer how rare a car this original is. I figured the "ebay" buyer wouldn't have appreciated the door, but I thought the fchat guys would love it as provenance...sure, the paint isn't perfect, it's original and areas like the door lifted over time, but I would think that would appeal to someone looking for a survivor, or for a car to restore.

I think the bottom line is, if people are looking for a perfect, restored car, this isn't the car, nor is it priced like one, but if you're looking for a mechanically excellent car with a known provenance of body work (or lack thereof) that can either be kept as a survivor, or that just needs a body restoration to be perfect, I think this is the nicest, cheapest of its kind out there...

The car is in Oakland Park, anyone local is absolutely welcome to come check it out any time M-F 9-5ish, pm or call me at 954-561-8810 for directions here. We have a lift, so if people want to get under, in, whatever, come take a look! The last GT we did, sold at Cavallino last year and was immaculate...you could buy this one and do a comparable restoration and still have paid less than our perfect car sold for last year!

Jason

7. JCR

JCR F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    US DOT sidemarkers with Euro turn signals?

8. CornellCars

CornellCars Formula 3

Mar 24, 2005
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Jason
    We assumed that was some sort of compliance issue from back in the day, but maybe someone like Dick Fritz or another conversion house might be better qualified to discuss what was done as far as conversions etc when these were brought in...

9. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    Big improvement in the second set of photos. Less scary...

10. CornellCars

CornellCars Formula 3

Mar 24, 2005
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Understandable...I like having the first set because it does show that the paint on the door was not for an accident, rust, etc, but obviously its harder to market to the layman if it looks a bit "scary" :)

11. Finitele

Finitele Formula 3

Sep 26, 2007
    DBC
    Full Name:
    DIR
    Rear turn lights are Yellow and inside from the red brake lights?
    Should yellow be on outside and red brake light inside of rear panel?

Maybe the lights were changed position when they removed for the painting

12. CornellCars

CornellCars Formula 3

Mar 24, 2005
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Painting? There could be a lot of reasons for changing location, mixup changing lenses, oddities of US compliance that I'm not familiar with or compliance put them in wrong, etc, but I'm confident painting wasn't one of them! ;)

13. JCR

JCR F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    I was actually referring to the front turn signals. I should have been more clear. Based on Omjon's resto, they are not a simple bolt on or swap. If you recall, his US spec Dino required welded in sheet metal for the Euro front turn signal conversion. So this red Dino was Euro that had DOT side markers cut in or a US spec car that had work done to flush mount the turn signals. All I'm alluding to is that this car is not as original as it seems. Those rear lights too.

14. CornellCars

CornellCars Formula 3

Mar 24, 2005
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Dino register lists it as a Euro, so I suspect your first thought is correct Euro with cutouts for US sidemarkers for compliance...that is my guess as to why the rear lights are in the incorrect order, if I'm not mistaken, Euro car should have had 2 red lights, and US would have had amber added, no? Compliance/conversion put amber where red and red where amber should have gone by mistake is my guess but I'm open to other suggestions that make sense.

15. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    #15 Crawler, Dec 13, 2007
    Here's our Euro (UK) car. S/N 07412. Amber outboard, red inboard.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. CornellCars

CornellCars Formula 3

Mar 24, 2005
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Wow that's a gorgeous color! Not something you see everyday but beautiful!

I would guess based on your pictures that someone swapped them (*edit them=mine just to clarify) around for god knows what reason...lots of replaced parts, maybe these are new as well but I didn't get the old ones...totally speculating here, shooting in the dark for guesses, but I'm confident they weren't removed to paint, a well known Ferrari painter down here with strong Ferrari ties looked the car over before the door was done, and was sure it was all original.

Any more pix of your car? I'd love to see it from all angles.

Jason

17. CornellCars

CornellCars Formula 3

Mar 24, 2005
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Just for the sake of good info, does anyone know for sure if the euro cars came standard with the amber lenses, or were they added as compliance issues? I've seen red/red and amber/red but there doesn't seem to be a direct link as to which came on what type of car...

18. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    the car is a euro spec car.

us spec cars had:
    all red rear lights
    side markers on the front and rear quarter panles
    reflectors mounted to the rear trunk panel
    recessed into the nose turn signals

euro cars had:
    red and yellow rear lights
    flush fit turn signals - either clear or yellow depending on market
    headlights that were yellow if delivered to france

the interior of this dino appears to be redone, the seats and door pockets don't appear to be original

19. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    the us style sidemarkers are black and not chrome, unless they were painted, the 246 didn't have black, but the 308gt4 did. i would guess this car was imported sometime in the mid to late 70's

20. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    #20 Crawler, Dec 13, 2007
  21. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    yellow lights should be on the outside. it may seem counter intuitive, but remember they are serving as turn signals, not brake lights. with no side rear turn indicators, it makes sense

22. CornellCars

CornellCars Formula 3

Mar 24, 2005
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Very cool, thank you very much for the info, that's all good to know! Are you sure about the seats, just curious what looks like it's been changed out, similarly with the door pockets?

23. CornellCars

CornellCars Formula 3

Mar 24, 2005
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Jason
    That's just gorgeous! Thanks for the extra photos...I love interesting color dinos, the one we sold last year at Cav was Azurro (like modern Azurro California) and was beautiful, it's great to see unique combos and one off stuff with these, they show the lines so nicely!

24. outofpocket

outofpocket Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2007
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    GD
    I understand that it had been sitting for 10 years before being offered for sale. Not sure when the engine work was done. I'd bet that you could buy a nice Dino for what you'd have in this one after it's sorted out.

25. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    the seams of the seats in the upper corners of the main seat back are like nothing i have seen before. the same can be said for the center stitched area that runs from the seat back to the seat bottom. however, there is a version of the seat that does have something like this, but is usually seen on the early 246 vinyl seats and typically has grommets.

the door pockets should be plastic with lid. it appears the tops of these door pockets are trimmed with a lid, and they shouldn't be trimmed to begin with