$18K Mondial average price? | FerrariChat

$18K Mondial average price?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by mauispence, Feb 4, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mauispence

mauispence Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2005
    Lahaina, Maui, Hawai
    Full Name:
    Jim Spence
    In the March 2012 Sports & Exotic Car I found an artical called "16 to buy in 2012". On page 28 a Mr. Jim Donnelly noted that 1080 -1993 Mondials are a good choice due to the "average selling price being : $18,000" ! All the Mondials I've seen for sale on Fchat,ebay, and Hemmings must all be well above average cars since their asking prices are all well above $18K. Do any of you guys know of any BELOW average Mondials for sale? ;)

2. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    I've seen some project cars down to and below 10K. I've also seen some early ones that were drivers at or below the 18K. Mostly though, you are right, they tend to be higher but we don't always know what they sell for. I think this takes into account the Mondial 8. I've seen a few 3.2 cabs trade in low 20's. Don't have any recollection of Mondial QV sales. They probably go with the numbers they can find which would be primarily auctions. It's been mostly low 20's I've seen when they printed the auction results in their magazine.

For what it's worth, IMO they are $30 to 40K cars that sell at nearly a 10K discount. But the market speaks. Also keep in mind there are a lot of rats out there with a lot of needs. The vast majority are probably drivers that require maintenance and mild mechanical restoration including coolant and fuel lines. I advertised mine for sale for a few days but then pulled it. I've done a lot of the mechanical restoration mentioned above and know I can't replace the experience for what it would sell for. I enjoy my car far too much, love using it as a long distance touring car and can't think of another car in the world that could stand in it's place.

And let's not forget, an $18K or 22K or 25K or ... is usually still not a cheap Mondial.

3. gpmotorsllc

gpmotorsllc Karting

Jun 27, 2011
    Camano Island, WA
    Full Name:
    Jon F Beutler Jr.
    Cars in general, and especially Ferraris can be very difficult to price, because there are so many factors beyond "year, make, model, miles and options". Keep in mind most of the time you see cars listed at prices, those are "asking" prices and the starting point for negotiation. I think you can often tell how motivated a seller is by their "asking" price. If it is low, they want to sell the car quickly, if it is high, they are likely putting out a "feeler" to see if anyone would be interested in their car.

I have always just tried to price my cars "fair". That way it is a win-win for both parties. IMO that is by far the best way to negotiate.

Jon

4. lightning

lightning Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2010
    Stockport
    Full Name:
    Martin Oliver
    There's a few on ebay UK for well under $20,000 and they are all listed as in lovely condition with no issues.
    Very tempting.....but I'm keeping my Elise S2 for now while I save for either a 308/328 or maybe my old Mondial t if the guy who bought it from me ever sells it.

5. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Most recent Ferrari Market Letter asking price index:

- Mondial 8 $18,855
    - Mondial QV Coupe $19,018
    - Mondial 3.2 Coupe $23,318

FYI

Joe

6. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Like maybe 95% of all Mondials listed on craigslist? And probably 80% of those on ebay as well.

7. mauispence

mauispence Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2005
    Lahaina, Maui, Hawai
    Full Name:
    Jim Spence
    my point exactly!
    Thank you!!

8. docmirror

docmirror Formula Junior

May 6, 2004
    Ft Worth TX
    Asking price <> selling price. I think the prices for Mondials is pretty accurate. I paid under $18k for mine, and it was not in great shape. There are some that are overpriced, which I find for sale over, and over again. One thing I find is that the bargain one's need every dollar of the average to bring them up to par.

9. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #9 soucorp, Feb 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. lightning

lightning Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2010
    Stockport
    Full Name:
    Martin Oliver
    I love the 360

Fabulous car.

11. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    I have a 1985 QV coupe now on L.A.'s Craig's List for $15,950; it's an average car with a few small needs. We'll see what the market says. I took it in trade on an F355, so it's a surplus car to me.

12. Dizengoff

Dizengoff Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2011
    Chicago
  13. dailyferraridriver

dailyferraridriver Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 12, 2010
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Erik
  14. dailyferraridriver

dailyferraridriver Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 12, 2010
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Erik
    #14 dailyferraridriver, Feb 12, 2012
  15. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    That is a good deal.

16. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    I guess the 18K bears out, this looks like a great car for the price. Now someone needs to snap it up to prove the price isn't lower than this.

17. gpmotorsllc

gpmotorsllc Karting

Jun 27, 2011
    Camano Island, WA
    Full Name:
    Jon F Beutler Jr.
    Ours just sold for none other than... $18k.

18. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #18 soucorp, Feb 17, 2012
    Here's a new listing for a fairly nice aqua color cabrio that's priced for $20k.

1985 Ferrari Mondial - Clean Ferrari 1985 Aquamarine
    1 owner, 42k miles, asking $20k

Only thing is looks like the owner didn't take care of her so well and alot of deferred maintenance probably needs to be done, still someone should check it out!!!
    It will need a major service ~$3500 at a small shop or $5500 at an authorized Ferrari Dealership + whatever else they find that needs replacing.
    The out of pocket expense can climb very quick with these cars!!! But with one sorted, life is good and happiness abound!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Clean-Ferrari-1985-Aquamarine-/300665631289?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item4601117239#ht_500wt_1182
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    Wonder when the last belt service was. The statement has not has belt service is a bit vague. Good price if it checks out.

20. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    T Coupe, please?

21. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    You too? ;) Any color in particular? No red or yellows for me...

With only 43 US spec cars produced I doubt there can be an accurate value range. Instead, each one will be priced based upon the current variables.

So, if a really nice one came to market from a person who doesn't "need to sell" I'd say $35K (which is down from $45K about 5 years ago).

However, I wouldn't be surprised if at least 25% of them were stashed away right from the beginning. One of those may fetch between $45K and $55K.

Just my guess from watching/following these cars since 2006.

BTW, you've probably seen this recent sale:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=339153

22. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Yep, that jibes with my research and expectation. Just wondering what FML says.

MichaelB's car is stunning!

23. s2mikey

s2mikey Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Upstate, New York
    Full Name:
    Mike B
    That car is right near me - if anyone was really interested I could take a look for you :)

24. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    And there is the thread about a Mondial or 308, the Mondial he is looking at runs nice and doesn't overheat and the price is down to $13K offer to him. A high mile car but a sale is a sale when average price is calculated.

25. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    I read the article again over the weekend and he pretty much skips over the 3.2 entirely.