120 +mph lexus crash in san diego/floormats | Page 4 | FerrariChat

120 +mph lexus crash in san diego/floormats

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by dmaxx3500, Sep 16, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Guys floormats are NOT the problem.

The fact that you cannot turn the engine off is the problem. The floormats have just highlighted the real issue. If you took the floormats out of a Lexus and then the throttle stuck for some other reason (say a stone got wedged in the system) you will still die ... because you cannot turn the engine off. Toyota's design is that you push the Start button for 3 seconds to turn the engine off ... who would ever logically think of doing that in a panic?

Like motorcycles, these cars need a kill switch. I really wish we would move off the floormat issue and discuss the REAL design fault with these cars.
    Pete

2. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    Even though it's not the problem it is a big factor in the accelerator pedal getting stuck. Toyota doesn't design it that way, the owners are supposed to read the manual to know about their cars, and really, there might be cases if they didn't have it that way, there would be more complaints by people accidentally reaching down for their 32 ounce Coke that they accidentally shut off their cars while going 75 on the freeway while texting and doing various crap. Cars have so much technology nowadays that we forget what a car REALLY is.

Now be honest, how many of you have read your manuals, even if it's for something simple, or those little things that you don't know about like, your key, if you hold the unlock button down the windows will open (for some cars). I found that out 3 years ago for my mom's car. I agree though, there needs to be a simpler solution for killing the car.

3. ztunelover

ztunelover Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2009
    Calgary, AB
    Full Name:
    Krish
    True that. very true. And I would like the oranges.

Really? I had no idea. LOL

But agreed. There needs to be a very visible panic shutoff system.

God I love my 240. three pedals steering wheels, couple of buttons in the dash I barely use, and a steering wheel. And a key that is a key not a button. But it does have floormats :( LOL

Classic case to what Clarkson said. "It's like a key, only not as good."

Is it too much to ask the customer to take a patterned metal stick, put it in a hole in the dash with a couple of settings? and ask them to twist it?

If anything this case shows why if certain technology is not flawed don't screw with it.

4. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Neutral is your friend...although people don't think to put the car in neutral while accelerating at full throttle, I guess.