Need Help with F1 / x431 | FerrariChat

Need Help with F1 / x431

Discussion in '360/430' started by lkstaack, Jun 2, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lkstaack

lkstaack Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2020
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Lars
    #1 lkstaack, Jun 2, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2021
    My 2002 44k miles 360 with CS TCU flash displays a F1 failure light and codes P0715 (Gearbox Input Revolutions) and P0720 (Gearbox Output Revolutions). It won't shift. The gear display remains on and the F1 pump continues to cycle when the motor is turned off; until I turn on and off again. A respected out of town Ferrari tech told me "I don't know P-codes. I'd have to hook it up to the SDX". If you are experienced with the x431, do you know what story these faults tell?

This is how I got to this point. I started this adventure with a 360 that ran reasonably well. I had my TCU reflashed. Before I adjusted PIS, I flushed out the Mobil 1 ATF from the F1 system and replaced it with Ravenol GHA, bled the power unit, clutch, and actuator, and ran self learn. And, I replaced the heat exchanger and all the fluids. Before I tried to adjust PIS, I warmed up the 360 and tried to drive it as is. As soon as I put it in reverse, it bucked twice and stalled. I figured I better adjust PIS.

I set the initial PIS to 5 and tried to drive it in reverse. Nothing. Once I got it to about 4.3, it would start to move at high RPMs. After consulting with experts, I eventually got the PIS down to 3.87 where it would back up at around 2,000 RPMs. I backed it down my driveway with a slight decline. At the bottom, I gave it gas. It bucked and stalled. That's when I got the error codes.

I'm screwed, and I don't even know why. Maybe I didn't bleed the systems properly (though I went through a lot of expensive fluid)? Maybe I didn't tighten the actuator bleed screws enough? Maybe I reattached the gear selection potentiometer wrong? Maybe I bumped a sensor cable the wrong way? The clutch, flywheel, and throwout bearing only have 8k miles on 'em. When I drained the transaxle, I found very slight water contamination, so I replaced the heat exchanger.

Anyone have any ideas?

2. lkstaack

lkstaack Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2020
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Lars
    I guess everyone is as stumped as I. I speculate that the residual closed clutch position and/or PIS on the remapped TCU was way off from my actual 8,000 mile clutch, resulting in clutch contact the TCU wasn't expecting; causing the bucking when I put it in gear without first adjusting CCP/PIS. I'm guessing a problem with the input shaft speed sensor or the clutch position sensor is causing the TCU faults, but I'm way out of my league on this.

If someone doesn't have any good ideas, I'm going to have to use the trailer of shame and bring it to a Ferrari Tech. I've heard good things about Gary Bobileff in San Diego. One of the reasons my spouse allowed me to purchase a Ferrari in the first place is that I convinced her I could work on it myself. Now this.

3. spider348

spider348 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Gary is excellent based on my past experience. My former Euro TR.
    I had a similar issue with my 360 when purchased. I also do most of my own work on the Ferrari. Ended up bringing to a Ferrari Tech and good friend.
    New clutch was installed as records showed. Bad news was, the flywheel was not addressed, release bearing etc. Incorrect set-up with initial clutch parameters.
    Was like a dog chasing his tail!

4. AlamGil

AlamGil Rookie

Mar 19, 2013
    Hello, I know it’s an old post but my brothers 360 F1 it’s reading p0720 and I started looking online for a DIY fix and I came across your post….did you fix yours? what was wrong with it?

thank you.