430 - Uh oh! Does anyone know what this sound is? | FerrariChat

430 Uh oh! Does anyone know what this sound is?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Daryl Zernick, Jun 3, 2021.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Daryl Zernick

Daryl Zernick Karting

Jul 7, 2020
    South Bend, IN
    Full Name:
    Daryl A. Zernick
    I was driving for about three and a half hours at an average speed of I'd say 90 miles an hour, pulled over to get some v-power shell gas, got back on the highway and started to accelerate and as I approached 75 to 80 I started hearing this sound. It happens even when I shift the F1 trans into neutral at those speeds and with the E-diff turned off. If you can't hear it from the video It sounds like a tarp flapping off of the back of a truck or a flat tire. I I can continue to floor it and shift through all the gears no problem just this noise starts usually happening at around 80. The car does seem to drag a bit when the sound is heard. Any help in trying to figure out what this is would be greatly appreciated especially since I'm on a 5-hour trip from home. I need to know the best next steps in a Ferrari mechanic desert in Mackinaw Island Michigan.

2. Daryl Zernick

Daryl Zernick Karting

Jul 7, 2020
    South Bend, IN
    Full Name:
    Daryl A. Zernick
    Also, it is throwing no codes

3. Daryl Zernick

Daryl Zernick Karting

Jul 7, 2020
    South Bend, IN
    Full Name:
    Daryl A. Zernick
    On the dash that is. There is seemingly nothing at all wrong according to the car.

4. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Checked your underbody fairing panels for security?

Daryl Zernick likes this.
  5. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    If it sounds like something is flapping with the wind, I'd check the undertrays.

6. DrPaul

DrPaul Karting

Dec 27, 2018
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Full Name:
    Paul M. Strickler
    While I can't help you diagnose the noise, I just wanted to shout out to a fellow Michigander. I live in Grand Rapids now, but spent 12 years in Boyne City. Was on the island last summer. Am guessing you don't have your 430 on the island, right, since no cars allowed. :)

BDM348 and Daryl Zernick like this.
  7. Daryl Zernick

Daryl Zernick Karting

Jul 7, 2020
    South Bend, IN
    Full Name:
    Daryl A. Zernick
    Oh my Lord! You guys are the savior of my weekend. I'm here trying to treat my girlfriend to a great weekend up on the island and then do a lighthouse tour back on the western side of Lake Michigan in the Ferrari on the way back to our hometown in South Bend Indiana. I had replaced a bolt on that under tray last year and I am almost willing to bet you are totally 100% right in that it probably vibrated loose and that's what's flapping. I'll find out when I pick the car up from valet on Saturday morning. Thank you so much guys! You don't know how much this has saved me from potentially ruining my girlfriend's weekend due to stressing about this! Thanks again!!

Qavion likes this.
  8. Marcoboxer

Marcoboxer Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2019
    Alpharetta, GA
    Full Name:
    Mark Roberts
    +1 for something on the under tray. If I had to bet, I’d say one of the corners of the defuser. Check all the bolts, none of the metal/threads under there is of the highest quality.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

9. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Yooper here! Sounds like a great trip.

10. mathewr

mathewr F1 Rookie
    Sponsor Rossa Subscribed

Dec 7, 2011
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Full Name:
    Ferrari Wheel Guru
    This is likely your front undertray flapping in the wind. Ask me how I know..............!

Duct tape is your friend. More specific, Gorilla Duct tape. Ask me how I know.......!

Daryl Zernick and Qavion like this.
  11. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Check the under tray bolts have the big washers fitted, also that the bolts are the right length in case it has bottomed and it is not pulling the washer fully up

12. mathewr

mathewr F1 Rookie
    Sponsor Rossa Subscribed

Dec 7, 2011
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Full Name:
    Ferrari Wheel Guru
    #12 mathewr, Jun 4, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2021
    To add to the above, I had the same issue on a 1500 mile road trip starting in the first 2 hours. I tried regular truck stop duct tape and that did not do the job. Had to stop at a Walmart in southern Iowa for the Gorilla Tape.

Of course the above is a temp solution.

13. Daryl Zernick

Daryl Zernick Karting

Jul 7, 2020
    South Bend, IN
    Full Name:
    Daryl A. Zernick
    LOL! My girlfriend told me last night, "Ain't nothing like Gorilla tape baby!" LMAO just read your reply to her. That great man!

14. Daryl Zernick

Daryl Zernick Karting

Jul 7, 2020
    South Bend, IN
    Full Name:
    Daryl A. Zernick
    #14 Daryl Zernick, Jun 4, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2021
    So, I was just able to get car over to a local body shop up here George's Body Shop:
    All the screws along the entire forward edge of the diffuser had come out causing the flapping noise. It also cracked a small, half pizza slice sized, piece of it off in the middle of that edge. Also on both sides of the diffuser where the diffuser touches the bumper, the paint is chipped from the flapping. So, new screws some gorilla tape and some touch up paint and we're back in business . Thanks again Gents, it's like having a family that I've never met before but get great advice from!

brookliner7, BDM348, mathewr and 2 others like this.
  15. Daryl Zernick

Daryl Zernick Karting

Jul 7, 2020
    South Bend, IN
    Full Name:
    Daryl A. Zernick

16. Marcoboxer

Marcoboxer Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2019
    Alpharetta, GA
    Full Name:
    Mark Roberts
  17. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    If i remember correctly there is a spring washer under the bolt head as well as the big washer.

18. Daryl Zernick

Daryl Zernick Karting

Jul 7, 2020
    South Bend, IN
    Full Name:
    Daryl A. Zernick
    Thanks! I will check the schematic on that! Perhaps that's the reason they loosened in the first place as I did have that diffuser resprayed last year. Thanks Again!

19. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Just had a look at mine and the diffuser front edge connects to the rear edge of the rear floor section with a hex bolt, large repair washer ( 25 mm plus dia) plus a spring washer. The original bolts were black steel and rust away, mine have been changed for stainless. Cheap on e bay for a box full.

20. Daryl Zernick

Daryl Zernick Karting

Jul 7, 2020
    South Bend, IN
    Full Name:
    Daryl A. Zernick
    Thanks! So, I recently had the oil changed. Would you say that in order to take off that rear tray that you would have to undo, or perhaps just loosen, the middle bolt into the diffuser or all of those bolts on that leading edge to get the rear tray out?

21. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    To get to the bolts at the front end of the diffuser you need to jack up the rear of the car and sit the rear wheels onto big wood blocks 4 inch deep or more, a lot safer than 2 jacks. You should then be able get underneath to fit the bolts.
    If need be you can then remove the diffuser.
    To get the diffuser back in situ, then just support the middle of it on a trolley jack until you get a couple of bolts in.
    If you take diffuser off, note the different bolt lengths.