Maranellos are disappearing | Page 85 | FerrariChat

Maranellos are disappearing

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by intrepidcva11, Mar 30, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. luigisayshello

luigisayshello Karting

Jul 9, 2014
    Not only that but Porsche was always quite accomodating to tuners, moders and would not shy away of using some of their parts or solutions, this seems small but has been the main point for their prices.

Porsche, from day one to this day has never had perfect reliability, there was always something, but said freedom for fettlers to fettle and some behind the curtain support, have helped these issues to either be fixed and cause no worry.

Yet another pro that Ferrari shy is Forum support and the owners knowledge of the innards and their ease to share and help, both aircooled/water. Online community and support are an extremely underrated pro, it gives an open book into the ownership that is not a very common luxury.

Plus all the 911 engines have been used in racing so teams around the world have to learn them top to bottom and from there is drips out into the civilian world.
    The other pro has been parts. There are always parts, aftermarket, Porsche, salvage, there are always parts or someone knows how to do them or has a stack of them, or can be adapted from another 911.

brogenville and Ferrari55whoa like this.
  2. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
  3. Vilhuer

Vilhuer Karting

Aug 3, 2008
    Helsinki, Finland
    If I recall right there is some rule in some EU countries that VAT do not have to be paid again if car comes back under three years after it was taken out. Can't remember actual details but if true this will provide small window of opportunity in some very specific cases. Regardless of that practically every UK LHD owner should have been aware of what Brexit means last year at latest. LHD are now basically 3rd class stock and blocked out of EU unless sale price is ridiculously low.

Robbe likes this.
  4. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
  5. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
  6. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    Ahh I remember. At the time I thought it was strong money, but that's the Hairpin Company for you.

My search is on hold, I ordered a new Porsche this week, an electric one. The Tax savings running it as a company car are simply huge and I'd be daft to pass it up.

I ordered this:- http://www.porsche-code.com/PMUJFU11

When that arrives I'll sell my two other cars and look for a V12 Ferrari in earnest.

Honestly I'm truly caught between old school 550/575 or an F12. Totally different cars I know.

The F12 at Meridien is pretty much as I'd spec it if I could go back to 2014 and buy new, except I'd not have the shields. That's the big advantage of the F12, I could swap that panel out on both sides for a blank one for circa £1500 with altering the fabric of the car.

https://www.pistonheads.com/buy/listing/11572299

7. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Tycan color looks great. My favorite car podcast "the smoking tire" seems to keep raving about that car.

My wife's daily is an electric BMW i3 with Rex (she had the Nissan Leaf before it and a Prius before that) and for daily use, electric is lovely.

Harryk and 21ATS like this.
  8. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    Asking prices seem to have no upper limit lately. We're now comfortably into six figure asks even though cars in the 80's and 90's aren't/haven't sold.

I guess you can ask what you like and see who bites, especially if you're not bankrolling the sale.

https://www.pistonheads.com/buy/listing/11738838

ralfabco likes this.
  9. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Nice Taycan. Enjoy!

that F12 looks like a good one. I would take a Maranello over a F12, for character. Definitely a manual 575 over a F12. 812, different story though..

21ATS likes this.
  10. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    With all the stimulus money being distributed and announced in the US, asset reflation is fully back on. We might not be back at the 2015/2016 levels anytime soon but the 2019/2020 winter has definitely passed....for now.

11. Mellow_Maranello

Mar 16, 2021
    Dallas / Orange County
    Full Name:
    Alistair
    Looks like there will be a Grigio / Bordeaux 550 up for auction on Carsandbids soon. I came across this Youtube video from "WinningMakes" which is the same consigning dealer/shop that hosted my 575 on Carsandbids last month. If you click their YouTube profile there are two more vidoes on the 550 plus the vidoes of my 575 from that sale. I don't know anything specific about this 550 but looks like standard seats, no leather parcel shelf, and no shields with some sort of aftermarket mufflers. Also the license plate starting with a "5" implies long term current ownership.

Winning Makes in Santa Barbara were exceptional to deal with on my transaction. They are very knowledgeable (there were 2 Superamericas, my 575, I think this 550, and a 456M GT at the shop when I was there). Genuinely nice people as well.

Could be worth reaching out to them getting some info on the car ahead of the auction going live so you aren't constrained to 7 days of diligence.

Either way we'll see another public datapoint for a 550 in a few weeks.

12. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    Pretty similar story in the UK. There's a lot of cash swilling about and people deperate to do something with it. Cars seem to be pretty high on that list of really need/want "stuff".

13. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I was walking around central London today and I have never seen so many classic cars out. This in a city never short of nice cars. I didn't see any Maranellos, though.

14. mchas

mchas F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Just FYI the license plate starting with a 5 doesn’t necessarily indicate long term ownership. In CA the license plate goes along with the car when sold. From the quick video it looks nice though!

Mellow_Maranello likes this.
  15. ken qv

ken qv Formula 3

Oct 25, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ken Roberson
    My friends father just bought a very nice one , 550- 22,000 miles. Paid $91 grand. Belt/services 18 months ago. Not sure if some “asking” prices are realistic right now.

16. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    @ken qv If any 550 can be bought that doesn’t have accident history under $100k even with significant deferred maintenance that would be an interesting datapoint.

575’s under a $100k all day long but a 550 under $100 would be interesting....

A few of us have been following the market so closely if you can find out a little info and share that would be most appreciated.

17. Vilhuer

Vilhuer Karting

Aug 3, 2008
    Helsinki, Finland
  18. niftyfivefifty

niftyfivefifty Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2007
    PacNW
    Where did he buy it? I agree with @Ferrar55whoa, there is either something unique with that sale, or he is a very lucky buyer.

rhern213 likes this.
  19. cubbyman60

cubbyman60 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2004
    LA
    What do you suggest here...especially pertaining to car prices?

20. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Yellow calipers are painted aftermarket. Sticky plastic needs attending to. No proper pictures of the driver's seat which is unusual for Collecting Cars. Almost all the pictures are from the passenger side. Is that hiding something?

21. Crocodon

Crocodon Karting

May 12, 2020
    London
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Sold for £73,501 plus fees. Looked like a car with a good history.

22. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    There’s some funky stuff going on with the leather above the rear shelf also. Pic 149 shows most of the driver seat, seems to be some dark staining but nothing a bit of treatment wouldn’t remove.
    What we don’t know is if the car is accident damaged, probably will never know.

23. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    Just under £78,000 all in looks like a real world price to me. Not a bargain, not expensive.

All the advertised SOR cars at Slades and elsewhere can be priced up at wahtever sum they like. It doesn't mean it's representative of what they are selling at or what people are willing to pay.

Love or Hate CC, what we have here is an actual sale at a publicly available price point.

Cossington likes this.
  24. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    40,000 mile 550 auctioned for £78k, that suggests a really nice one lower miles, sorted, good colour combo, from a dealer would retail for maybe £95k-100k.