A question for the paint and body experts out there... | FerrariChat

A question for the paint and body experts out there...

Discussion in '360/430' started by Husker, May 6, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    I'm not 100 percent happy with the frunk lid of my 360, because it's not 100 percent perfect.

Can a good paint and body shop just refinish the lid without blending into the fenders? I had the "clam shell" that covers the convertible top refinished with no blending, and I can't see any issues.

Thoughts?

2. rotaryrocket7

rotaryrocket7 Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2011
    Eden Prairie, MN
    Full Name:
    Matt
    it'll depend on how faded the paint is compared to what gets mixed up. I'd actually be as worried about where it lines with the bumper too.

3. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    yeah, but the bumper has already been resprayed once that I know of, and probably a few times over 20 years.

4. clean512

clean512 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2010
    Full Name:
    Josh @jtcarprojects
    All depends on how good the painter is mixing the paint.

5. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Should not be an issue. What cooor is your car? That can be a factor.

6. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    These days they get the colour match pretty good, you can always t cut the surrounding panels if it look a bit off. My bumper blends in fine after it was painted

7. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Correct. He has Rosso Corsa.

They should be able to match BUT paint does fade and they may have to fine tune the paint or you will see the difference.

8. mdileo

mdileo Karting

Jan 27, 2015
    Nyc
    Full Name:
    Max
    Now a days if the shop spends the money... there is a special camera that takes pictures of the paint then tints it to perfectly match no blending required to my knowledge.

Stealthssfc likes this.
  9. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    #9 KC360 FL, May 14, 2021
    Last edited: May 14, 2021
    Not true.

In my shop my paint supplier has the latest and greatest of the "paint guns". They will come out to the shop and do the "shot" on the car. I've never had a paint mixed to match perfect-- most times not close. It only gets you sorta close. Fine maybe for DD Toyotas and Chevys. Not for the cars that you really care to be a perfect match. Even my paint rep of 23 years tells me there is no such thing as panel painting and getting a perfect match. In my 30 years I have found this to be true.

A few years ago I had a 1966 Mustang shipped to my shop to do a hood repaint. I spend an entire day mixing the paint and doing spray outs. This was the time spent once the "gun shot" paint mix was tinted and adjusted to a match.

RANDY6005 and Skidkid like this.
  10. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Exactly. Even the matching machines don't perfectly match. A skilled person can tweak the mix and bring it into an almost perfect match but that is very manual and takes a bunch of time. On cars, they still blend into adjacent panels because it is never a perfect match.

KC360 FL likes this.
  11. mdileo

mdileo Karting

Jan 27, 2015
    Nyc
    Full Name:
    Max
    Well my guy in nyc did my front bumper a few months ago. I saw the camera tool in use before paint was ti ted and mixed . I asked him about it . There is such a tool very expensive a d new . The result was incredible. I have checked again and again in many different light settings and with another body guy i know and the match is unbelievable!

12. mdileo

mdileo Karting

Jan 27, 2015
    Nyc
    Full Name:
    Max
    There was a camera tool used on the existing paint that i know for sure . I know he is very well skilled i can post pictures of the bumper when i find them in my phone. But im very happy!

13. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    A perfect match can happen. Even the most skilled can get lucky sometimes. Not to be disparaging, but in my 30 years, I've never been that lucky. Sometimes the non metallic colors can be easier to match. But with the newer colors that are metallic there are pearls, flop adjusters, and different metallic flake size and layout can be a real pain.

Truly glad you got a great job you're happy with.

Cheers!

mdileo likes this.