F12 Battery Replacement | Page 2 | FerrariChat

F12 Battery Replacement

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by F12lover, Apr 30, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F12lover

F12lover Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2016
    All of the seals are soft rubber or foam and definitely designed to be reassembled without replacing. It is not gasket like material. No concerns. I would imagine that eventually some of the foam will age and dry out or become brittle. My car is a 2016 that I have put 22,000 miles on and it would have been a lot more but for Covid. There are zero signs of wear, ageing, dryness etc. It all seated nicely when I put back together and it easily came apart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I have had trouble with foam gaskets and felt gaskets in the past. Usually had to replace them. Your post #8 shows some of the foam torn off the air box. Maybe good idea to check on availability of replacements just in case. There was no tar or sealant in the far left corner against the windshield seal? Mine looked like there was so didn't risk it. Thanks.

3. F12lover

F12lover Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2016
    Good eye on the foam gasket. It was like that when I removed. Probably from when dealer did last battery. Foam is thick and wide enough that of no concern.

I know what you are referring to in terms of rubber seal at upper left edge (when facing windshield). It was affixed to windshield trim and presented no issue. Nothing to do with actual seal of windshield etc. Again nothing the dealer would replace when installing a new battery at least not now.

4. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    To be clear, was there some kind of sealant on the back of the plastic trim piece you removed? If so, would you recommend re-apply sealant in the corner when re-installing? Thanks.

5. blkfxstc

blkfxstc Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2016
    TX
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Thanks for posting this!

6. Bobby_P

Bobby_P Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2004
    Thank you for posting this...very helpful.

I was under the impression that once the battery has been disconnected, the F12 then requires a "reset" (for lack of a better word) of the ECU. Perhaps I am mistaken...quite possible...curious as to your experience?

7. KNOKKi

KNOKKi Karting

Jul 20, 2015
    Amsterdam
  8. aureux

aureux Rookie

Mar 14, 2021
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    John M
    Just gonne throw this in there, that if anyone is doing this on an FF, where the procedure looks identical, you can essentially skip this step, and rotate the battery out of and into the slot, without disassembling the wiper-blade cowling.

9. KNOKKi

KNOKKi Karting

Jul 20, 2015
    Amsterdam
    If have the FF workshop manual at my disposition and there is indeed no mentioning of disassembling the wiper-blade cowling when replacing the battery. But an FF is not an F12...

10. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    The aeroblade on the F12 likely is the reason for the increased difficulty in battery replacement; thus needing the additional disassembly.

11. F12lover

F12lover Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2016
    There was no sealant. There is a small rubber strip but no sealant that needs to be replaced. Incidentally, my battery had already been replaced once before by the dealer. When I took everything apart it’s evident the entire system is designed to be disassembled and reassembled without need for new parts or sealant etc. It’s ridiculous what it takes to actually re and re the battery but that’s the design.

Solid State likes this.
  12. F12lover

F12lover Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2016
    No issue. Just followed the reset procedure in the manual that deals with battery disconnect. Also in the past I have disconnected negative terminal and never even followed reset issue and still had no problems except one time I did have a system program warning and that was the computer not recognizing the stock radio. Dealer very nicely scanned and cleared for me.

Bobby_P likes this.
  13. profit1

profit1 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    this great - thank you !
    replaced battery today using your guide, worked out really well. lots of pieces and fasteners to attend to, but there was no way to get the battery out without removal of the wiper trim and fan box.

manos411 likes this.
  14. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    thx for write up - i gotta pull mine out tonight

15. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    FYI, I could not get this window trim out. Mine appeared to be glued to the windshield. You do not need to remove this to get the battery out. If you do it correctly, you can tilt the battery and pull it out without removing this piece or putting strain on anything.

16. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I thought the same and replaced it without the glass trim removal. However, the false negative harness needs to come off the top of the battery and tilting will hit that aluminum component directly at the front of the battery tray. There is not 1mm of height to spare and with a +55 lb lead weight your lower back and wrists may also need replacing.

FPFaeth likes this.
  17. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    lol. yeah i was in pain after that

18. fuoco

fuoco Rookie

Feb 21, 2013
    Surrey, UK
    Can not thank you enough for this, saved us all a lot of frustration!!

19. FPFaeth

FPFaeth Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Frank Faeth
    Hi -- first, thanks for all these pics and details. I'm about to replace my battery today and you made the job doable. Question: in the above photo, with the small screwdriver, you are tightening down that little red plastic thing with the two screws. What does that do? Mine was virtually unattached when I removed the battery cover. Thank you. Frank