488 - Introduction and new owner questions | FerrariChat

488 Introduction and new owner questions

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by JamesAllen, May 4, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JamesAllen

JamesAllen Rookie

Feb 27, 2017
    Frederick, MD
    Hi folks,

I wanted to take a moment and introduce myself to the forum and ask a couple of those obligatory 'newbie' questions. I'm an auto-enthusiast that has owned (and own) quite a few beautiful cars in my lifetime, but my new-to-me 488 is definitely a dream come true. I've only owned it a few weeks, but have already racked up 600 miles and should be posting to the 'worthless' thread soon.

I found the car itself right here on FChat and purchased it directly from Patrick. He was a great source of information, very honest in our dealings, and the car exceeded my expectations. Here was his original 'For Sale' Ad if you want all the specs and extra pictures: https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/488-spider-vorsteiner-diavolo-stage-2-450k-build-by-boden-autohaus.621691/

So, on to questions.

When I start the car, the check engine light stays on longer than every other light. It always goes off, but it's like the car wants to make me nervous before every drive. Is that normal?

Patrick installed Novitech springs and an x-pipe, but didn't keep the stock parts. I have no interest in taking those items back to stock, but is there value in collecting them for a future owner?

The magnetic tender doesn't work. Tried a second charger to be safe, but no go. Searching the threads, it seems the common advice is to ignore and just hard wire a pigtail to the battery, but can it be fixed? I go in for annual service in July and wasn't sure if it was worth asking them to try and repair.

That's it for now. Appreciate any advice. Here's a pic from a Cars & Coffee I attended last weekend.

- James

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. axlesofevil

axlesofevil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    #2 axlesofevil, May 4, 2021
    Last edited: May 4, 2021
    Yes the CEL stays on longer than all the other lights. With these modern cars it's not like you need to ensure the bulb hasn't gone out, so it is a bit silly that they all light up like older cars needed to for you to make sure all the bulbs were working. But that's the way it is.

There's probably value in having stock parts, but if you can't readily acquire those parts I wouldn't worry about it. I made the mistake of forgetting to ask my shop to keep the stock springs when they installed the Novitecs, but I'm not going to go out and try to find stock springs just to have them.

Also beautiful car. Enjoy it in good health.

3. rotaryrocket7

rotaryrocket7 Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2011
    Eden Prairie, MN
    Full Name:
    Matt
    what a great looking car, congrats

4. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Normal CEL behavior.

No opinion.

Find the fuse for this line. Hopefully listed in the manual. Most likely it is blown and u just need to replace it.

SV

LagunaSecaMike likes this.
  5. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

When I start the car, the check engine light stays on longer than every other light. It always goes off, but it's like the car wants to make me nervous before every drive. Is that normal? Yes

Patrick installed Novitech springs and an x-pipe, but didn't keep the stock parts. I have no interest in taking those items back to stock, but is there value in collecting them for a future owner? Yes

The magnetic tender doesn't work. Tried a second charger to be safe, but no go. Searching the threads, it seems the common advice is to ignore and just hard wire a pigtail to the battery, but can it be fixed? I go in for annual service in July and wasn't sure if it was worth asking them to try and repair. I would want the problem corrected.

6. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Yes, normal. It doesn't go out until all system checks are completed - which takes a minute.

nope.

When you say it "doesn't work" what do you mean? Doesn't attach? Or doesn't charge when attached?

My advice is ditch the OEM battery (and tender) and install a Braille i48CS and then use their 1236L lithium charger, if ever needed.

Ray

7. axlesofevil

axlesofevil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Antigravity are a lot cheaper than Braille and are just as good/better? AG has a cool battery management system that prevents the battery from ever dying.

8. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I use Braille only here.

Ray

9. JamesAllen

JamesAllen Rookie

Feb 27, 2017
    Frederick, MD
    Thank you for the advice and comments.

I pulled the manual and found that the location of the fuse I need to check is located in the 'panel behind driver seat'. When I look here, I only see one large panel that wraps around a speaker and into the door jam. I'm a bit reticent to just start yanking on the edges. Anyone removed this before or am I missing something?

'Doesn't work', as in when I connect either tender, they aren't picking up any voltage so they won't initiate a charge. The battery is brand new, but eventually replacing with lithium is on the list.

I found a set of OEM springs for $250 and a full OEM exhaust for $700, so I went ahead and ordered. I figured it was a small amount to pay to give comfort to a future owner.