812 VS Rumors | Page 287 | FerrariChat

812 VS Rumors

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Frenzisko, Feb 10, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Shack likes this.
  2. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    #7152 ingegnere, Apr 26, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
    I think the aft-facing vents in the rear bumper would be effective in venting the rear wheel wells but the simple practical aspect of this would be like running a car or truck without mud flaps so would make the back of the car really dirty—probably not very becoming of a Ferrari, ha-ha.

Venting the air from the side, behind the wheels, seems like a way to effectively “taper” the body behind the wheels for reduced drag. I believe they work this way because of the fact the openings extend from the wheel opening—no fender lip—so exposed to the airflow.

As suggested by @mthompson2376 the 3 strakes or flaps could also be used to recover some downforce, also by supporting the flow behind the spoiler, but the flow—being behind the wheels—probably does not have a huge amount of energy so the downforce won’t be great, but could be useful. Combined with cleaning up the side flow, adding taper and maybe even venting the wheel wells the vents will be a useful detail of this car. They also look cool and innovative.

Ultimately, a lot of these details are aesthetically driven. As noted, the vent on the rear fender of the F12 was to reduce pressure in the wheel well:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

It was assumed (by me) that the aero bridge over the rear fender (and at the front too) of 812SF was for the same purpose:

But per Ferrari, this was not the case, they served other purposes:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Ultimately, there are many ways to achieve an intended purpose but the aesthetics will drive a lot of the what the final solution will be.

3. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    I had the same idea based on the shape of the VGs which actually look like a combination of VG (the forward edge more closely aligned with the longitudinal axis of the car) and a turning vane (the more transverse portion of the the device) to direct the vortices outboard. That is unless the “turning vanes” are used to create a sort of rolling vortex but not sure if that’s feasible.

mthompson2376 and of2worlds like this.
  4. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Thank you for the knowledgeable explanation and the pictures because now I understand much better what's the real function of the vents placed on the 812 VS back wheel fenders.

ingegnere and Caeruleus11 like this.
  5. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    as an F12 owner who has had corrosion repair on those rear vents i can assure you they do not in any way connect to the rear wheel arches. they are essentially a design aspect and a headache once galvanic corrosion begins there due to the black mesh being steel and the rest of the car aluminum.

DRYHOLE likes this.
  6. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Thank you Mario, but it’s still just speculation on my part, ha-ha.

Also, as for the big black license plate panel, well maybe it’s just a big black panel for visual effect, although in one picture, either due to reflection or otherwise, the panel looks to be not completely flat. Can’t imagine though what it could be otherwise.

7. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    Now I see about the F12 vents, thanks for that. Anyway in the 812 pictures with the aero features I would really like that they specified the amount in which these contribute to overall downforce. My theory is that some of them are marginal.

MDEL and ingegnere like this.
  8. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Wow, really, steel? Sorry to hear that. Even plastic would have been better.

Regarding their function, they don’t necessarily have to “connect” to the wheel well, they could just “communicate” with a cavity that in turn communicates with the wheel well.

Caeruleus11 and of2worlds like this.
  9. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    I agree, probably marginal. I don’t want to say they are marketing features but there are probably different ways to achieve the same results just these look cooler.

Caeruleus11, of2worlds and Garretto like this.
  10. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    The 458 was first designed with big vents behind the door like the 488 would later get. On that 458 design proposal LdM didn't like the vents in the side of the body and instead wanted the air around the car managed differently. So those big side vents were removed for the production 458 design.

11. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    As Colin Chapman said, “add lightness.”
    When I was racing LotusCupUSA, our focus was never power, it was all about reducing weight. We had our own formula that reducing weight by 10 lbs would effectively gain 1 HP.
    We would always be better in the turns vs the high HP beasts, faster exit speed through the turns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bundy, Roman456, TAM340R and 3 others like this.
  12. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    I have to disagree, the Elise is very capable on track when setup correctly. Yes underpowered, but add on a supercharger or power up to an Exige and it’ll conquer many Porsches on track. My 211 was the most fun on track.

BarryK, Bundy, Roman456 and 3 others like this.
  13. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Thank you Mario but if you look next to the number plate, still on the area you will see two horizontal openings- it is about these which I am curious.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

14. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Mid speed high sweeping turn, such as a carousel, aero/downforce can help stabilize the car e.g. the turn at Riverside at Buttonwillow, 80-100mph.

Bundy and of2worlds like this.
  15. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    FWIW I found this. It seems that the vents are actually connected with the wheel wells! Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    So true, but lets face it, for the street, the high HP beasts bring their own kind of fun. The real trick is finding the right balance of power and weight so a car is great on the streets and also fun for a few track days too.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

Bundy, plastique999 and of2worlds like this.
  17. Claudia65

Claudia65 Karting

Mar 29, 2017
    Switzerland
    hmmmm,,maybe 812 Coupe and 406 Aperta...? might make Sense...

JagShergill and of2worlds like this.
  18. Claudia65

Claudia65 Karting

Mar 29, 2017
    Switzerland
    #7168 Claudia65, Apr 26, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
    in the Video its said..the Rear Wheels steer independently...

REALZEUS and ingegnere like this.
  19. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Jerry, the openings you mentioned are the ones the arrows are pointing in the picture?

Caeruleus11 and ingegnere like this.
  20. F140C

F140C Formula 3

Nov 25, 2016
    Piedmont
    Full Name:
    Marco
    I kindly accept your opinion, Rodolfo. As I said before, unfortunately, I don't have enough knowledge to say something about aerodynamics (wish I had!), so I'll just have to trust Ferrari on this.

Garretto likes this.
  21. isot

isot Formula 3

May 6, 2012
    Lucca
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    I don't see openings.. for me are only two folds..

ingegnere likes this.
  22. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    Bundy, Garretto and of2worlds like this.
  23. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    MDEL and Caeruleus11 like this.
  24. isot

isot Formula 3

May 6, 2012
    Lucca
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    I immediately saw those darker spots, but I think they are style-related creases. I don't think they are connected to air ducts...If you look at the mule where the air passes there are cuts in the protective film. There is nothing above the license plate zone.. They seem like two ribs that give a more nervous tone to the tail... Maybe they are open on the sides, but I don't really understand their usefulness

MDEL, Caeruleus11, maxxy and 2 others like this.
  25. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    I understand what you are seeing, however, it's obvious the cover wrap is interfering with other "aero" such as the VGs on the trunk deck, therefore I do not believe the wrap not venting is as important as it might seem, afterall, it is quite unlikely high speed testing would be conducted with that cover wrap installed; apparently only heat area (exhaust tips), cameras (2) and brake lights (+turn signals) are exposed through the wrap.