vacuum Lines for New Capristo | FerrariChat

vacuum Lines for New Capristo

Discussion in '348/355' started by Boaf 32, Apr 4, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Boaf 32

Boaf 32 Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2016
    US
    355er's

I'm installing a Capristo Bypass Valve on my 99 355 Spider. I have a question about the vacuum line routing.

Second picture of current bypass has the vacuum from the By pass to a hard vacuum line. I get that. I am not sure what connects to the new solenoid. The first picture is what I believe gets replaced by the new solenoid.

My understanding is the vacuum is applied to keep the Capristo by pass closed. Vacuum is removed when the bypass is opened. That is different than the factory (I am told). I found this diagram on Chat, but it doesn't really help.

For clarification:

I believe, using this diagram, the bypass valve connects directly to the solenoid. The connector on the top of the solenoid should connect to the hard vacuum line. Thoughts gent's

Appreciate it.

Boaf.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
  3. Boaf 32

Boaf 32 Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2016
    US
    I do have it in the kit, yes.

So my question, in my Second picture, what connects to that hard line vacuum? To the Original Vacuum (red vacuum line in the referenced post)?

Thanks

4. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken

I think I understand what you're saying. You may be overthinking it.
    If you were to follow the line from the actual bypass valve it is a rubber line that goes to the hard line which runs along the engine cross member. From then it turns back into a rubber line to the original solenoid location.
    All you simply do is unplug it from the factory solenoid, and plug it into the pierburg valve.

It sounds like you were running an entire new line from the pierberg to the capristo valve.

5. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Some of the confusion is probably because the Capristo instructions say to do exactly this. My car came with a recently installed Cap valve and when I read up on it, I thought it was installed wrong because the vacuum line was plumbed into the hard line along the crossmember instead of directly to the solenoid.

MAD828 likes this.
  6. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    It’s a cleaner install if you pipe it to the hardline as factory intended. That’s how mine is. Capristo instructions and the tubing supplied is long enough and your directed to go from bypass to solenoid and not use the hardline. Which didn’t make sense to me. In saying that the hardline is often damaged and can be a source of a leak.

7. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I think when the instructions say "to bypass valve," they're likely assuming that you're keeping the line in place as it is, including the hard line

8. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Perhaps but why provide 2 meters of tubing.

Either way mine is plumbed into the hardline and works amazingly well. One of the best upgrades for the car.

9. Boaf 32

Boaf 32 Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2016
    US
    Now that makes sense. My package came with 0 instructions. So I can re-use the existing hard line and soft line in Picture 2, and just replace the solenoid and existing lines. Right? Thanks Ken!

10. Boaf 32

Boaf 32 Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2016
    US
    #11 Boaf 32, Apr 8, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
    After engine out, still had the P01448 and now a P0410.

I probably shouldn't right this when I am so Fn pissed the F off, but, installed the new Capristo bypass and it seems to work well. The fn thing threw a P0410 CEL. Searching says this: P0410 - Secondary Air Injection System Malfunction. What the F is that???

Anybody give me some patients please to look into what is going on. I just want the damn CEL fn gone!!! Sheit!

Thanks brothers and sisters
    My apologies, 1448 (Mother F) and Mil on Jesus fricken Christmas. What else does it want.

11. Boaf 32

Boaf 32 Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2016
    US
    Apologies for the rant.

Just had engine out service, but had the CEL forever since I owned this car.

• Replaced ECU
    • Replaced Thermocoupler
    • Replaced By pass valve
    Now P1448 and a MIL. WTF really annoyed and not sure what next...Any help is appreciated.

Boaf

12. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    There are 3 thermocoupler ECUs with 3 thermocoupler probes in the system.

There are known to fail, usually just intermittently.
    The expensive fix it to replace everything. The better way is to test them, clean them and do just what is necessary. The youtuber 'rattarossa' made a video on this.
    I was having intermittent slow down lights and pulled all three out, tested them with heat and a volt gauge and fixed my issue.

The secondary air injection Code is something else unrelated. Sounds like a cracked hose, or something leaking air in that system.

If you just want the 1448 to go away for now, and troubleshoot later. Simply take the probe out of the exhaust and neatly zip tie it away. Install a cap on the bung, And your code will go away. That bypass probe is only there for one function, and that's just to tattle to the ECU if the bypass is open too long. If it's unplugged, it's simply not there to tattle, it's not used for any other function. People that run the bypass open all the time just remove the probe.

Here's I post I found with a guy with the exact same two codes, not sure if this helps or not https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/p1448-obii-code.319195/

13. Boaf 32

Boaf 32 Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2016
    US
    Thank you Kennyd. The thermocoupler and ECU I replaced was for the bypass. Not sure when that secondary air injection code came up, I have to assume after the Engine out service. I new the 1448 was going to come back, as did my technician. The old bypass was rusted and shot.

Going to dig around a bit with the Thermocoupler. I believe the replacement cost was $200.

Bob

14. Boaf 32

Boaf 32 Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2016
    US
    @ernie any further thoughts on P1448?

Just had engine out service, but had the CEL forever since I owned this car.
    • Replaced ECU
    • Replaced Thermocoupler
    • Replaced By pass valve
    Now P1448 still lives, and a MIL. Funny that a light is out, but don't know which one.

Boaf

15. Boaf 32

Boaf 32 Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2016
    US
    Thanks for that thread. Good possibility since I live in FL.

16. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Where in Florida?

17. Boaf 32

Boaf 32 Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2016
    US
    SW Florida Gulf coast, yourself?

18. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    North of Jacksonville.
    Little far for help.
    Any progress? Did you try just removing the bypass probe at least for troubleshooting?

19. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    1448 will never go away if you’re using the Cappy Bypass with straight pipes. Have you removed the cats ?

20. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    1448 is the code for the bypass valve. has nothing to do with the cats.
    If everything is working 100% (valve, probe, ecu, vacuum) it will not report a code.
    If one of those is broken. you will get a 1448

OR if you one of the many of us either not running a bypass valve, have it wired open, or are using a electronic valve controller (me) you can simply remove the "tattle tale" probe out and (assuming the ecu/probe are good) you'll never get a 1448 again. So many people guessing or regurgitating bad info from people who have zero experience with the subject

WATSON likes this.
  21. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    I personally have been through all this and discussed it with techs at Capristo. You don’t have to believe me. When cats are removed, it changes the flow / heat or whatever. The result is 1448. My valve is not wired open or controlled with anything after market.

I speak the truth.

22. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I got you man.

I forget the exact numbers since I tested them last year, but the way you test the ECU and thermal probes is to give them 12 volts. And they read back 1.5 or something. When you put a blowtorch on to them, right at 500° or so they'll show 5 volts. When they go bad, they'll show erratic things like zero or 12 volts etc.

Anyway, 1448 is triggered when the bypass probe is showing 5 volts when the computer says it's supposed to be closed. Is there a possibility that your valve is not closing all the way?, Cuz if the valve is closed, there should be no hot exhaust flow over it to heat that probe up.

If your car really is triggering a 1448 all the time, and you're tired of it, I would also suggest you try simply removing the probe from the exhaust and just zip tying it safely out of the way.
    Remember, the computer is simply looking for a hot probe when the valve is closed to signal an air, any other conditions in it doesn't care. Example, it's not looking for a probe That's always cold.

23. Boaf 32

Boaf 32 Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2016
    US
    I hear you man. I want to make it work the way it should. I hear it opening when I get on it. checking the electrical connections as well to ensure they are clean and making good contact.

Boaf

24. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Did you run the hose direct to the valve or use the OE metal tube?