Trickle Charger for 360 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Trickle Charger for 360

Discussion in '360/430' started by houstoncarnut, Jul 9, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    I have the deltran units for several years now (the Battery Tender) and have never had an issue nor heard of any.

2. rob4092xx

rob4092xx Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    I have a Battery Tender hooked up directly to the battery on the passenger floor board. Still looking for a way to get the wires through the firewall and to the front trunk or front bumper area. Advice???

3. Jeff Pintler

Jeff Pintler Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2005
    Richland
    Full Name:
    Jeff Pintler
    I found that lowering the driver window only a 1/2" and bringing the cord through the gap prevents the car moving without disconnecting the charger. We use to have electric carts where the charger plugged in on the passenger side and lots of streched wires after people drove off. Try to keep the charger outside the car just in case something goes wrong. And if something happens and the battery is completley dead, the door is easier to open with the window down. Note also that the trunk must be shut completely in order for the electronics to go to sleep, even though the trunk light is off the open trunk will keep systems drawing current. I spent a week troubleshooting and even bought a new battery to figure that out. FWIW.

Jeff Pintler
    89 348tb, 86tr, 99 360 3-pedal

4. rob4092xx

rob4092xx Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    Would still love to find a way to get the wire through the firewall and through one of the front ducts.

5. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Something to consider, that nobody mentioned. It's not a big deal, but just a thought. The longer you run the charging cable, the more chance you can have it damaged, or pinched creating a short and a potential hazard.
    I just hooked it up to the battery directly, and tucked the connector behind the carpet on the side of the kick panel. I just reach up and grab the connector, plug it in to the battery tender and run the wire out of a slightly lowered passenger window. It's simple, and works great.

A quick warning. The older Battery Tender pig tails don't have a fuse on them! If you have one of those, make sure you get a new style pig tail, or add a fuse as close to the end of the wire as possible, just in case it gets shorted out, you can blow a fuse instead of starting an electrical fire!

6. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Why not just leave it loose (but neat) in the wheel well? I've seen many hooked up that way. It might not be pretty, but it seems relatively safe and affords easy access.

7. rob4092xx

rob4092xx Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    I don't feel comfortable running in through the bottom door edge when the door is closed.

Can't leave the window down a bit to run it there due to the car cover while in the garage.

8. Roadhog11

Roadhog11 Rookie

Sep 27, 2012
    Florida
    Full Name:
    George
    I recently bought a used F430 Spider, and found out how quickly the battery can go dead. What a bummer. The car has battery tender leads coming from the passenger side foot panel, but the car came with no tender/charger. I went to the dealer for a tender/charger to match the leads, and he wants $400. I must be missing something here. Who in the world ever heard of a $400 battery tender. It's for tending a battery, not someone in assisted living!

9. rob4092xx

rob4092xx Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    Hog:

Take a look at Ebay. I have seen some significantly cheaper!

Another alternative would be to purchase a $30.00 Battery Tender. Pick up the extension accessory and use it to splice into the wire coming out from behind you seat. Very simple to do...2 minutes max!

10. snowman7006

snowman7006 Rookie

Nov 6, 2010
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I also use a Battery Tender Plus and 12' extension to keep the 430 battery ready. Yes, the extension cable does get slightly pinched beneath door but (IMHO) not enough to cause a problem.

The original "old-style" Ferrari charger is neatly packaged on a shelf because I am not using that "dumb" charger.

11. Jeff Pintler

Jeff Pintler Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2005
    Richland
    Full Name:
    Jeff Pintler
    The factory battery charger has three pins and I think it functions with a relay behind the driver seat to charge the battery while the battery switch in the trunk is off. On the 360, the connection is under a panel for brake fluid/master cylinder. As I am sure all of you have seen in your automotive adventure, many professionals use crimp splices to wiring repairs and think nothing of drilling holes in stuff that should not be messed with. Two wires squished in a door seal is not a big problem. So once you find a way to get the cable to the trunk, then you have to get garage power also into the trunk, with the trunk completely closed so the systems go to sleep. So maybe a cord sticking out out below the bumper like most trucks? We are trying to help you solve your problem by explaining simple is safe, fast, cheaper and a little fun. FWIW

Jeff Pintler
    89 348tb, 86tr, 99 360 3-pedal
    -------------
    Sure be nice if we had a schematic not a drawing of a harness!

12. rob4092xx

rob4092xx Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    Jeff, I agree...sticking out the front bumper would be ideal. Any recommendations how to get the wires there?

13. djkling

djkling Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2012
    Newfields, NH
    Full Name:
    Domenic
    I can not speak for the Ferraris, but my Elise used to have some parasitic electronics problems and leaving the car more than a week would drain the battery to completely dead. I replaced a lot of batteries. I put the cheapes battery tender on it, and wheneverI went into my garage I would just plug it in. No more dead batteries, ever! I have to admit for such a small device it saves a lot of headaches. I've heard not-so-great things about the ferrari "dumb" charger... so it will be my first purchase :)

14. JWeiss

JWeiss F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2010
    NYC and Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    JWeiss
    While a Tender is a great thing to have, and a must for lenghty non-drive periods, you might consider attending to the root issue as well. A 430 should not drain the battery in a week or two of sitting. Even in the winter, mine takes very little charge when I hook up after two (hated) weeks on non-use.

15. rob4092xx

rob4092xx Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    Problem solved!

Went looking for a way to get my Battery Trickle Charger wire through the front firewall to the lower front intake grill....the previous owner had already installed one! Problem solved...not passing wire through firewall.

Looks like he wired it directly into the battery cutoff swith in the front trunck and then fed the wire down to the front side vent opening. Super cool!

Maybe something for other to consider???

16. JWeiss

JWeiss F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2010
    NYC and Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    JWeiss
    Make sure there's a fuse on that wire.

17. William Tell

William Tell Karting

Sep 2, 2014
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Villi
    The battery is more than 5 years old, so it has to go.
    A battery tender would be nice. Even better if it has the Ferrari logo :)

18. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    I'm a little baffled. At one point a few year ago I had three Ferraris, two Cadillacs and a Maserati and winter-stored all but the Cadillac CTS, all on small Deltran battery tenders clipped to their batteries. Never had a single issue. ???

19. clean512

clean512 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2010
    Full Name:
    Josh @jtcarprojects
    I guess the immobilizer or a draw plays a roll how a battery is. Im in the process of removing my immobilizer to help with that. Thanks trev for the help